PDA

View Full Version : Boxiel has a new phoneeeee

Boxiel
18-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I went and bought the T-mobile G1 (HTC manufacture the phone, it has a Google Android operating system on it)

It really is amazing, as people seem to compare most phones to the iPhone, imo this is better.. by so far.

* 3.2-inch TFT-LCD flat touch-sensitive screen with HVGA (320 X 480 pixel) resolution.
* Full 5-row QWERTY keyboard.
* One-click Google Search.
* Customizable Home screen with instant Email, text message and IM notifications.
*Instant access to Google services (Gmail, YouTube, Maps, Google Talk, Calendar).
*High-speed 3.5G network connection.
*Wi-Fi technology with seamless transition to open networks.
*Android Market with access to variety of software and media downloads. (some fees may apply)
*3.2 megapixel color camera with auto focus.

Youtube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MMoJZ_VYnGc

Has anyone else looked at this phone yet?

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/techchron/2008/10/14/bu-google24_ph_0499190270.jpg

irJen
18-11-2008, 10:16 PM
My boyfriend just got one too!

I'll have a look next time I see him, he loves it though :)

dirrty
18-11-2008, 10:19 PM
is it available on payasugo?
if so, how much?

Boxiel
18-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Nope :( Paym only right now.

Clowgon
18-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Has anyone else looked at this phone yet?

Nope but it's pretty impressive. I hate paying for something expensive because
theres always something better a few months later.

Shawnstra
19-11-2008, 03:17 AM
Imo I find the screen a little weak. Is the screen wobbly when the keyboard is exposed?

Recursion
19-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Dad said he might bring one from work to try out :P

Wayne
19-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Quite a disappointing camera for such a new phone tbh. They should have made the camera more than 3.2 megapixels.

Decode
19-11-2008, 08:13 AM
I think this phone is better than the iPhone :O, but I doubt many people will buy it because it looks ugly. In my opinion it doesn't matter how it looks its about functionalitly ect. Lol, has it still go that bug where everything you type goes to the linux command line?

MrPinkPanther
19-11-2008, 08:34 AM
I think this phone is better than the iPhone :O
I don't, it may have a better camera etc but what makes the iPhone so great is the apps. I know google have the appstore equivalent but its nowhere near as good as the iPhones because of the sheer support for the iPhone. This (to me) seems to be more aimed at buisinessmen wheras the iPhone is aimed at everyone. Dont forget the iPhone also has a massive memory for songs etc, all of the similar google support (even though it doesnt use android), and accelerometer and I believe the iPhone is suprisingly smaller and lighter.

J0SH
19-11-2008, 08:52 AM
I think Nokia Tube could top that :P

The Professor
19-11-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't, it may have a better camera etc but what makes the iPhone so great is the apps. I know google have the appstore equivalent but its nowhere near as good as the iPhones because of the sheer support for the iPhone. This (to me) seems to be more aimed at buisinessmen wheras the iPhone is aimed at everyone. Dont forget the iPhone also has a massive memory for songs etc, all of the similar google support (even though it doesnt use android), and accelerometer and I believe the iPhone is suprisingly smaller and lighter.

At the moment, yes the google marketplace thing is far weaker compared to apple's appstore because the G1 has been out for a month and the iPhone has been out for over a year. The G1, being open source, has so much more potential for developers and google don't limit what you can actually put on the appstore like apple do, nor do they have a killswitch like apple do (well they do but only for malicious apps). So as soon as the marketplace takes off properly it'll have the iPhone beat there :)

Nick.
19-11-2008, 05:00 PM
It's ugly as hell.

xxMATTGxx
20-11-2008, 03:40 PM
It's ugly as hell.

I agree, if it was more good lucking then I would be interested. I don't wanna be pulling that put of my pocket or whatever ;P

GoldenMerc
20-11-2008, 04:04 PM
If this is on contract, How much a month do you pay and how much overall did you pay for the phone?

Boxiel
20-11-2008, 10:27 PM
If this is on contract, How much a month do you pay and how much overall did you pay for the phone?

I pay £40 a month, 18 month plan. The phone was cost free with that contract :)

Wayne
20-11-2008, 10:31 PM
£40 x 18 = £720. Lol, quite expensive.

Boxiel
20-11-2008, 10:32 PM
£40 x 18 = £720. Lol, quite expensive.

Yeah, true however, I get 800 minutes and unlimited texts for that..

Andys
20-11-2008, 10:38 PM
nice.
would consider getting one but don't have the funds :P

GoldenMerc
20-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Damn thats alot, My contract finish's in may so il prob ether get that or iPhone

MrPinkPanther
20-11-2008, 10:44 PM
At the moment, yes the google marketplace thing is far weaker compared to apple's appstore because the G1 has been out for a month and the iPhone has been out for over a year. The G1, being open source, has so much more potential for developers and google don't limit what you can actually put on the appstore like apple do, nor do they have a killswitch like apple do (well they do but only for malicious apps). So as soon as the marketplace takes off properly it'll have the iPhone beat there :)
If Google do continue supporting Android heavily then it has a chance but you need to remember the iPhone has already established itself as a worthwhile product in the market, its a household name. Thats going to take some amazing phone to beat. The iPhone also has apples powerful marketing department behind it.

PS: the iPhone has been out for ages but the Appstore is only recent, July 11th I believe.

Boxiel
21-11-2008, 08:03 AM
If Google do continue supporting Android heavily then it has a chance but you need to remember the iPhone has already established itself as a worthwhile product in the market, its a household name. Thats going to take some amazing phone to beat. The iPhone also has apples powerful marketing department behind it.

PS: the iPhone has been out for ages but the Appstore is only recent, July 11th I believe.

..... Google OWN Android, of course they're going to support it..

Wayne
21-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Yeah, true however, I get 800 minutes and unlimited texts for that..

Nice deal mate. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!