PDA

View Full Version : Prisoners, right to vote?

Clowgon
19-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Should people serving prison sentences be permitted to vote in elections?

Ohirian
19-11-2008, 03:37 PM
No, as simple as that.
Prisoners should have no rights.

Dan2nd
19-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I think as a democracy we should permit everyone to vote regardless of their situation

Xarea
19-11-2008, 08:09 PM
I think as a democracy we should permit everyone to vote regardless of their situation

Sure, lets give the vote to people who have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act - ie. people who are so mentally ******ed they have to be sectioned. Sure, lets give the vote to the likes of Ian Huntley - ie. pedophiles, rapists, perverts.

SURE, lets give the vote to four year old children... wow, they definatley know what they're doing. :rolleyes:

Dan2nd
19-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Sure, lets give the vote to people who have been sectioned under the Mental Health Act - ie. people who are so mentally ******ed they have to be sectioned. Sure, lets give the vote to the likes of Ian Huntley - ie. pedophiles, rapists, perverts.

SURE, lets give the vote to four year old children... wow, they definatley know what they're doing. :rolleyes:

I don't see the problem to be honest the only party they can vote for who'll cause any damage would be the BNP and I'm pretty sure not everyone in prison is white british are they? and just because they are in prison doesn't mean they want to vote for any one 'bad' or want to use their vote to cause trouble

and I'm pretty sure people in prison are not all mentally ******ed as you put it

jrh2002
19-11-2008, 08:31 PM
NO WAY

Once you commit a crime and go to prison you lose ALL your rights until you are released. If you want to vote then dont commit the crime and you will be able to.

Of course with all this human rights rubbish they will get a vote especially if labour think they need a few more votes :o conservatives want tougher sentencing they say so not many prisoners would vote for them :o also the tories want to cut down on people getting benefits which could ruin the criminals future career as a dole scrounger.

19-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Yes because they are still a citizen of the country, so the election affects them.

jrh2002
19-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Yes because they are still a citizen of the country, so the election affects them.

They could have committed a murder and be voting for the opposite party of who the poor victim wanted to vote for :o the criminals political party could then win by one vote :O i know its highly unlikely but all the murderers could soon add up and then the victims of violent crime who dont dare go to the polling station.

mangle
19-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Yeah I reckon they should, our relatives died on the fields so that we could have a free land. No matter what you do, you still have your opinion and you should be able to voice it.

--ss--
19-11-2008, 09:24 PM
No, they shouldn't even ahve the right to live.
If they want to stay in society and have rights and freedom then they should condone and follow rules and live peacefully.

19-11-2008, 10:56 PM
If they want to stay in society and have rights and freedom then they should condone and follow rules and live peacefully.
So your saying that just becuase you get caught with weed too many times, you dont have the right to live? This threads about criminals not only murderers.
And murderers have the right to live.
They just shouldnt have all the same rights.
Either way theyre citizens and shouold get to vote.

DrLacero
19-11-2008, 11:05 PM
Not at all, I don't think prisoners should even be allowed to keep citizenship of the country they comitted the crime in.

Jord
20-11-2008, 02:25 AM
No because half of them are racist's and they will vote for a "White" person or only "black" :(

luce
20-11-2008, 07:27 AM
I dont think so becuase they broke the law of th country so with that thy loose the right to vote for who runs it.

alexxxxx
20-11-2008, 03:03 PM
yes they should have the right as, lets say a party was runnin strong that all prisoners should be executed, they should be able to vote AGAINST that party as maybe they would not have done their crime if there was a chance of stronger punishment than in the law.

FlyingJesus
20-11-2008, 03:30 PM

But the point of prison is that those people have forfeited their right to be part of society. I don't agree with people saying "they should have no rights" as that leaves to door open to torture and such, but there should be restrictions certainly.

lol what about like tax dodgers and petty thieves? Or Jen and Niall who have had to spend nights in cells recently haha, surely you don't want them DEAD

yes they should have the right as, lets say a party was runnin strong that all prisoners should be executed, they should be able to vote AGAINST that party as maybe they would not have done their crime if there was a chance of stronger punishment than in the law.

I don't think that's likely to happen unless Shane here manages to become PM haha

RedStratocas
20-11-2008, 04:52 PM
no. the only people who should have a vote are people who will actually be effected by decisions that will be made. prison is separated from society, thus prisoners wont be effected by the large majority of decisions made, probably none at all.

it depends on the country, i think. but mostly, i think a rule of thumb would be if they pay taxes, they should have a vote, but if not, they shoudn't

Swearwolf
20-11-2008, 04:54 PM
No, do the crime, do the time. The time involves losing all contact with the outside world - including interacting with the outside world, e.g voting.

Camy
20-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Nope, criminals are meant to be in prison to be punished, therefore they lose the benefits of living on the inside world, i.e. voting.

Virgin Mary
20-11-2008, 08:29 PM
No they don't deserve to xx

dirrty
20-11-2008, 08:32 PM
no they deserve nothing. they do the crime, then they do the time.

Jordy
20-11-2008, 09:36 PM
No because half of them are racist's and they will vote for a "White" person or only "black" :(Can I call the whole American Democrats party a bunch of racists then? Oh come on if Obama was white would he of even stood for the election! :P

If they want to stay in society and have rights and freedom then they should condone and follow rules and live peacefully.Most of you have missed a point though that some of these people might be doing time for something they didn't do. Which links into why they abolished the death penalty. They may of been wrongly convicted of doing something they didn't and for that they lost their right to vote? The vote most probably will effect them as most prisoners are in there for less than 4 years. They're still citizens and have many rights anyway so I don't see why this should be an exception.

RedStratocas
20-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Can I call the whole American Democrats party a bunch of racists then? Oh come on if Obama was white would he of even stood for the election! :P

more people didnt vote for obama because hes black than did vote for him because he's black.

Most of you have missed a point though that some of these people might be doing time for something they didn't do. Which links into why they abolished the death penalty. They may of been wrongly convicted of doing something they didn't and for that they lost their right to vote? The vote most probably will effect them as most prisoners are in there for less than 4 years. They're still citizens and have many rights anyway so I don't see why this should be an exception.

the death penalty is much more serious and can't be taken back. but voting wouldnt be a major loss for an innocent person in jail. no one's life is ruined by not being able to vote.

Jordy
20-11-2008, 11:46 PM
more people didnt vote for obama because hes black than did vote for him because he's black.

the death penalty is much more serious and can't be taken back. but voting wouldnt be a major loss for an innocent person in jail. no one's life is ruined by not being able to vote.The top statistic cannot be proved but anyway I don't want to get into it as I meant it light-heartedly.

The Death Penalty is much more serious but it's the same concept that people could be losing their vote when they've done nothing wrong, in my eyes that's not a true democracy (What is, I have no idea) as that could then restrict any of us from voting. Although 1 vote won't be a major loss and it wouldn't be a life ruined, we could apply the same concept to people over 110 and say their votes are pointless as there's not enough of them to swing an election. Every vote still counts.

Arch
21-11-2008, 02:30 PM
In Canada where i live im prettysure prisoners do vote ad i don't really think ther is a problem theres still human even though they have done bad things, its not like voting can hurt.

RedStratocas
21-11-2008, 07:48 PM
The top statistic cannot be proved but anyway I don't want to get into it as I meant it light-heartedly.

The Death Penalty is much more serious but it's the same concept that people could be losing their vote when they've done nothing wrong, in my eyes that's not a true democracy (What is, I have no idea) as that could then restrict any of us from voting. Although 1 vote won't be a major loss and it wouldn't be a life ruined, we could apply the same concept to people over 110 and say their votes are pointless as there's not enough of them to swing an election. Every vote still counts.

i do see where you are coming from. it sucks that the innocent people lose their vote, but i think its a worthy sacrifice.

Patt
22-11-2008, 03:52 PM
No, they have disagreed to abide by our common laws.
Why should they get the privileges to vote?
Voting isn't a right, it's a privilege.

Besides, most prisons don't really have a connection to media like citizens do.

alexxxxx
22-11-2008, 09:43 PM
No, they have disagreed to abide by our common laws.
Why should they get the privileges to vote?
Voting isn't a right, it's a privilege.

Besides, most prisons don't really have a connection to media like citizens do.

some of em have sky in their rooms.

flyingbrick
23-11-2008, 12:29 AM
People in jail have commited crimes against society and should therefore be allowed no say in who governs it.

Only when they stop being all wierd, stupid, and billigerent should they be given the right to vote.

We can't have the countries future put in the hands of nutcases and assbandits.

Bun
24-11-2008, 03:31 PM
no, if you want to vote in a democracy then you should honour that democracy's rules.

Dan.ox
25-11-2008, 02:27 AM
Maybe we should consider what made some of these prisoners commit the crimes they were imprisoned for? Perhaps some prisoners can shed more light on what causes them to commit crimes. Not every prisoner is Ian Huntley, or a serial killer, though they are in prison they are still a human being and should have the right to vote

Im not saying all prisoners should have the right to a vote, Im more of the opinion that different factors should be taken into consideration.

People who want the death penalty back in my opinion are just as bad as the murderers, murder is murder even if it is under this mask of legality, also this opinion that prisoners should have nothing is stupid IMO, how can you ever expect rehabilitation if you lock someone up throw away the key and let them out after 1 year?

leah
25-11-2008, 11:32 AM
I think they have the right to vote because they are still citizens of the country. Also not all of them have commited terrible crimes.

Earthquake
25-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Give everyone over the age of 16 the right to vote!

flyingbrick
26-11-2008, 01:14 AM
Give everyone over the age of 16 the right to vote!

**** off

Edited by Wayne (Forum Moderator) Please don't be rude.

Nuka-Cola
30-11-2008, 08:07 PM
i think prisoners blew there right to say what happens in their country as soon as they did something bad in it. Simple as that if they feel its alright to disrespect their country, why let them vote on it ?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!