PDA

View Full Version : Apple's adds hardware DRM to new MacBooks

Stephen!
19-11-2008, 10:53 AM
High Definition Content Protection (HDCP)—you can't live with it, but you practically can't buy an HD-capable device anymore without it. While HDCP is typically used in devices like Blu-ray players, HDTVs, HDMI-enabled notebooks, and even the Apple TV in order to keep DRMed content encrypted between points A and B, it appears that Apple's new aluminum MacBook (and presumably the MacBook Pro) are using it to protect iTunes Store media as well.

http://media.arstechnica.com/journals/apple.media/iTunesHDCP-large540.png

When my friend John, a high school teacher, attempted to play Hellboy 2 on his classroom's projector with a new aluminum MacBook over lunch, he was denied by the error you see above. John's using a Mini DisplayPort-to-VGA adapter, plugged into a Sanyo projector that is part of his room's Promethean system. Strangely, only some iTunes Store movies appear to be HDCP-aware, as other purchased media like Stargate: Continuum and Heroes season 2 play through the projector just fine.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/11/17/apple-brings-hdcp-to-a-new-aluminum-macbook-near-you

Pyroka
19-11-2008, 10:55 AM
Great, just great. It stops playing movies to the masses sure, and thats fine, but... Why, when you can get a HDCP device and do the same thing. :S

Stephen!
19-11-2008, 10:57 AM
I can't see this making apple any more money either? If anything, they would lose money from less sales

GommeInc
19-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Hmmm, have Apple been contacted about sharing their films and music sharing again? It seems to be the only reason to implement this :/

xxMATTGxx
19-11-2008, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure what to say about this, as its only on iTunes Movies I think?

Jamesy
19-11-2008, 09:06 PM
This kind of DRM defeats its own purpose. If users buying legally downloaded movies can't view it on their home entertainment systems will just grab a pirate copy to do that. DRM within limits is a piracy prevention system, when it gets so up its own arse the home user can't use their purchases then it's a complete waste of time.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!