PDA

View Full Version : -possible- v3 for 2nd-design

[Oli]
19-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Right, so since i'm haveing hosting problems and I messed up current layout so...

I've been creating alot of very clean, business like designs lately etc, alot of hosting ones, and then I thought back to some people here on hxf webdev. telling me I was quite okay in Technical, Mechanical, machine-like layouts etc...

So I had a go at that style again, heres the result:
(site would be full-flash)

Blue (http://www.webauxtions.com/2ndv3/a_four_preview.png)
Green (http://www.webauxtions.com/2ndv3/a_four_preview_green.png)
Purple (http://www.webauxtions.com/2ndv3/a_four_preview_purple.png)

might do 1 color, or use a color-selector, haven't decided yet, cus i'm not sure to use this yet.

DeejayMachoo$
19-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Wow oli as always you manage to impress :)

100/10 :)

Only thing i can say is the content area is a wee bit too small :(.

[Oli]
19-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow oli as always you manage to impress :)

100/10 :)

Only thing i can say is the content area is a wee bit too small :(.

but actually I'm not gonna need alot of space, the main thing on it will be flash layout-slider thing :P if you get what i mean :P

Jackboy
19-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Definately the best designer on hxf.

This + your hosting layout etc

+Rep if i can ;)

[Oli]
19-11-2008, 08:19 PM
Definately the best designer on hxf.

This + your hosting layout etc

+Rep if i can ;)

Thanks Jack :)

Fehm
19-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Definately an amazing designer and coder, and i'm sure you'll be making thousands out of it soon!

That design is awesome, and along with your hosting ones, there truly excellent.

+rep if i can =]

Awfy
19-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Hmmm.... it's a bit too "free templatey". Looks like the kinda of flash layout you get from 4templates and so on.

[Oli]
19-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Hmmm.... it's a bit too "free templatey". Looks like the kinda of flash layout you get from 4templates and so on.

Hmm honestly I would not see a layout like that being free but okay if thats your opinion.

I like it myself so most likely i'll be tweaking it a bit and then use it for v3. :)

Kamina
19-11-2008, 09:17 PM
It is the sort of template you see posted on the Template sites.
But it's still very good. Doesn't seem very corporate-y to me though.

Seems more clan like, if that's understandable?

Source
19-11-2008, 10:19 PM
Looks tacky to me personally, its about time you started moving into the web2.0 sector.

[Oli]
19-11-2008, 10:31 PM
It is the sort of template you see posted on the Template sites.
But it's still very good. Doesn't seem very corporate-y to me though.

Seems more clan like, if that's understandable?

Thing is, the designs that are on 4templates, some of them are really professional, only people tend to say it feels template like because those designs on there get sold multiple times to different sites.

I would fee quite honored actually if you feel it has that feeling.
And my design will only be on my site and nowhere else, thus being unique etc.

Also there is alot of design companies that have technical designs.
Theres no law that says it has to be clean and web2.0

Looks tacky to me personally, its about time you started moving into the web2.0 sector.

Where does it look tacky and why, pleas care to exlain in further details please.

Why is it about time I move into web2.0 ?
I've been making clean business web2.0 designs for ages to be honest.
Everyone has his own tastes in designs. Mine just happends to be technical mechanicl like templates.

EDIT: by the way, I make everything myself, I've had people ask what I used to do the background on that etc.
I don't do tutorials and I don't use images or anything ;) just thought i'd clear that up

MrPinkPanther
19-11-2008, 10:36 PM
If thats the style Oli uses then surely his portfolio should reflect that? Its supposed to show his style not a completely different one.

I think its a really nice layout, not your best, but lovely none the less. The only thing Im not too keen on is the font. You've come on a long way since you made me that animal crossing layout, what was it? 3 years ago?

[Oli]
19-11-2008, 10:40 PM
If thats the style Oli uses then surely his portfolio should reflect that? Its supposed to show his style not a completely different one.

I think its a really nice layout, not your best, but lovely none the less. The only thing Im not too keen on is the font. You've come on a long way since you made me that animal crossing layout, what was it? 3 years ago?

Hehe thanks, and yeah, if not longer :P
I'm not sure on the font myself yet either. It's one of the things I'll be tweaking

GoldenMerc
19-11-2008, 11:00 PM
very nice, Do a orange one :)

Josh-H
19-11-2008, 11:19 PM
This is horrible? Oli you can do way better than this.

Maybe not horrible, but certainly tacky as stated above.

Kamina
20-11-2008, 12:26 PM
;5305547']Thing is, the designs that are on 4templates, some of them are really professional, only people tend to say it feels template like because those designs on there get sold multiple times to different sites.

I would fee quite honored actually if you feel it has that feeling.
And my design will only be on my site and nowhere else, thus being unique etc.

Also there is alot of design companies that have technical designs.
Theres no law that says it has to be clean and web2.0

Where does it look tacky and why, pleas care to exlain in further details please.

Why is it about time I move into web2.0 ?
I've been making clean business web2.0 designs for ages to be honest.
Everyone has his own tastes in designs. Mine just happends to be technical mechanicl like templates.

EDIT: by the way, I make everything myself, I've had people ask what I used to do the background on that etc.
I don't do tutorials and I don't use images or anything ;) just thought i'd clear that up

It isn't, a law for Web 2.0.
But most sites which aim to look professional will follow Web 2.0 Styles and Guidlines.

You're sticking in the old-flash-templates style. You need to take the step forward...

Meti
20-11-2008, 03:15 PM
I like it alot Oliver.
All your designs are awesome, but this design isn't your best.
You can do alot better. I know you can.
This layout doesn't look like a webdesign agency layout, but it looks great if you're using it for other stuff.

If you're going to use this though, you'll need to make the content box a little bit wider.

[Oli]
20-11-2008, 03:50 PM
This is horrible? Oli you can do way better than this.

Maybe not horrible, but certainly tacky as stated above.

No offence but comments like 'This is horrible' are comments I just ignore.
Atleast let me know what is wrong with it, what looks tacky etc...

You don't even have to tell me how I could improve, aslong as you tell me whats wrong then.

very nice, Do a orange one :)

Thanks

It isn't, a law for Web 2.0.
But most sites which aim to look professional will follow Web 2.0 Styles and Guidlines.

You're sticking in the old-flash-templates style. You need to take the step forward...

You see, this is the perfect example of things I absolutely hate...

I mean, what you're saying is when alot of site do a certain style, everyone should ? Where is the unique-ness then. Are we all supposed to go mainstream then ?
I happen to love technical/mechanical designs, and it's for my portfolio, so I think I should display that style then, don't you ?

I like it alot Oliver.
All your designs are awesome, but this design isn't your best.
You can do alot better. I know you can.
This layout doesn't look like a webdesign agency layout, but it looks great if you're using it for other stuff.

If you're going to use this though, you'll need to make the content box a little bit wider.

The thing is, I don't want it to look like the regular webdesign agency designs.
I wan't it to be unique and my style.

Besides, theres other design companies with more technical designs too: (obviously they have more knowledge in 3D too)
www.2advanced.com etc

Awfy
20-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Hmm Oli I think Kamina means you should step forward and not back in terms of design. Yes there is an over stated use of "Web 2.0" in design which normally refers to designs which are dumbed down and simple. However to expand further I don't think you should do a web 2.0 design, I believe that you should try for something beyond 2.0 if you want to be unique. As tacky flash designs went out of the trends in 05 and 06. For lack of pun try and aim for 3.0 then.

[Oli]
20-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Hmm Oli I think Kamina means you should step forward and not back in terms of design. Yes there is an over stated use of "Web 2.0" in design which normally refers to designs which are dumbed down and simple. However to expand further I don't think you should do a web 2.0 design, I believe that you should try for something beyond 2.0 if you want to be unique. As tacky flash designs went out of the trends in 05 and 06. For lack of pun try and aim for 3.0 then.

The thing is I don't want a simple and clean design for 2nd-design.
And I do want full flash site, Trust me full flash is not out the picture yet.

(ex. belgian design company: www.sevenedge.be)
(not tech-y but full flash)

Meti
20-11-2008, 04:26 PM
SevenEdge.be is rly nice :O

Awfy
20-11-2008, 04:28 PM
I never said flash was out the window, my favourite site in terms of design is entirely flash but it's not tacky. Shiney bars and wierd glows make things look tacky online.

www.oasim.com

[Oli]
20-11-2008, 04:32 PM
I never said flash was out the window, my favourite site in terms of design is entirely flash but it's not tacky. Shiney bars and wierd glows make things look tacky online.

www.oasim.com

You see I don't like that -for my taste-. It's a very nice site but for my site I would think it's way to clean/white and way to basic.

Josh-H
20-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Sorry for the less than constructive criticism I posted earlier, my problems are:

- The navigation and footer font, it looks stretched and unprofessional. The blue glow used is what makes it look quite "amateurish".

- The blue glowing bars, they need work. They don't seem to blend very well with the rest of the layout, just seem like they're just placed there for the sake of it.

At least try tweaking these parts and show us the result.

[Oli]
20-11-2008, 05:01 PM
I was going to take that odd looking text off anyway:

before;
http://webauxtions.com/2ndv3/a_four_preview.png

after: (edit: work in progress so took nav in content out for a bit, just the base for now)
http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/6968/afourpreviewwipne9.png

Kamina
20-11-2008, 06:24 PM
;5306454']No offence but comments like 'This is horrible' are comments I just ignore.
Atleast let me know what is wrong with it, what looks tacky etc...

You don't even have to tell me how I could improve, aslong as you tell me whats wrong then.

Thanks

You see, this is the perfect example of things I absolutely hate...

I mean, what you're saying is when alot of site do a certain style, everyone should ? Where is the unique-ness then. Are we all supposed to go mainstream then ?
I happen to love technical/mechanical designs, and it's for my portfolio, so I think I should display that style then, don't you ?

The thing is, I don't want it to look like the regular webdesign agency designs.
I wan't it to be unique and my style.

Besides, theres other design companies with more technical designs too: (obviously they have more knowledge in 3D too)
www.2advanced.com (http://www.2advanced.com) etc

Yeah, 2advanced is lush, but that's not the style of advanced you have.
Sorry if I appear rude in anyway.

Exactly what I'm saying, Dark, Metallic Flash Layouts are out of the window now. No-one exactly wants them.

It seems weird saying do what everyone is doing, but be unique.
But it's right. That's what (from what I've seen) all designers do.
Clean cut simple designs. Nothing too advanced that'll confuse the user.

;5306524']The thing is I don't want a simple and clean design for 2nd-design.
And I do want full flash site, Trust me full flash is not out the picture yet.

(ex. belgian design company: www.sevenedge.be (http://www.sevenedge.be))
(not tech-y but full flash)

Yeah, that's nice. Thats what I would interpret as Web 2.0
but yours, is well as said, old and tacky.

Go for a bright colour scheme, with simplistic buttons and objects.

[Oli]
20-11-2008, 06:51 PM
Yeah, 2advanced is lush, but that's not the style of advanced you have.
Sorry if I appear rude in anyway.

No you don't, obviously I do not have their skills. I wouldn't expect myself to.

Exactly what I'm saying, Dark, Metallic Flash Layouts are out of the window now. No-one exactly wants them.

No they are not, it's because some good sites and a ton of wannabe sites start doing clean sites that that style would have died out. It just becomes rarely seen.

It seems weird saying do what everyone is doing, but be unique.
But it's right. That's what (from what I've seen) all designers do.
Clean cut simple designs. Nothing too advanced that'll confuse the user.

Yeah, that's nice. Thats what I would interpret as Web 2.0
but yours, is well as said, old and tacky.
Go for a bright colour scheme, with simplistic buttons and objects.

Again, that is EXACTLY what I do NOT wan't my site to be.
I don't want to be that yet another web2.0 site. I'd do it for my clients if they ask me to but for my own site absolutely not.

I wouldn't mind having a tech design which confuses the user.
I want my site to be a bit of a challenge, bit of a mystery.

I'm just gonna make a new design, but it will be tech/metalic again, and if I like it and work it out, it will be full flash.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!