PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of releasing the Nivade source.

Calon
21-11-2008, 04:46 AM
Hi there.

I was really bored, and I've been considering close Nivade recently, and thought if I do I should maybe release the code, it's extremely terribly coded I know but it's a pretty basic SN with the normal features; comments, photo albums, friends and a media box (Youtube videos) I'm not really sure if this would benefit anybody so I'd like opinions on releasing it.

Constructive comments +REP (If I can)

Trinity
21-11-2008, 05:01 AM
You could always try selling it to one of these little kids that want to start their own SNS? ;)
Although that might encourage them, and we don't want that.

Release it, but do it as part of a tutorial showing people how to make their own SNS?

Calon
21-11-2008, 05:07 AM
You could always try selling it to one of these little kids that want to start their own SNS? ;)
Although that might encourage them, and we don't want that.

Release it, but do it as part of a tutorial showing people how to make their own SNS?
That would be a pretty good idea to be honest, and would help the community of newbies who want to make an SN out.. I suppose it's worth doing if I close Nivade, thanks for your suggestion. +REP (Sorry, I owe you, updated signature).

Pyroka
21-11-2008, 11:02 AM
What Trinity said would be an excellent idea, even though you would be the unleasher of a powerful Social Networking NewbForce, there's nothing wrong with helping people who may not have the slighest clue where to begin. :P

blanky12!
21-11-2008, 11:08 AM
What Trinity said would be an excellent idea, even though you would be the unleasher of a powerful Social Networking NewbForce, there's nothing wrong with helping people who may not have the slighest clue where to begin. :P
I wouldn't reconmend this, i'd just keep at it make it that tiny bit more popular..

Pyroka
21-11-2008, 11:36 AM
I wouldn't reconmend this, i'd just keep at it make it that tiny bit more popular..

That's like telling a terminal patient they should stay in a hospital and die, ORRRR we can give you a cure.

As bad as the example is, it's bloody true lol. If you're not gonna reccomend it, then he shouldn't carry on with Nivade full stop. His commitment issues will make Nivade fail.

blanky12!
21-11-2008, 11:57 AM
That's like telling a terminal patient they should stay in a hospital and die, ORRRR we can give you a cure.

As bad as the example is, it's bloody true lol. If you're not gonna reccomend it, then he shouldn't carry on with Nivade full stop. His commitment issues will make Nivade fail.
i'd doubt that, if he continues it'll grow like it has been for the past 6 months.

Pyroka
21-11-2008, 12:01 PM
i'd doubt that, if he continues it'll grow like it has been for the past 6 months.

If he continues, he'll get even more bored of it. :P

blanky12!
21-11-2008, 12:03 PM
If he continues, he'll get even more bored of it. :P
hwo can he get bored of it; it's a social networking site, youc an't get bored of them, if you get more bored your the developer, you can finash it..

Pyroka
21-11-2008, 12:05 PM
hwo can he get bored of it; it's a social networking site, youc an't get bored of them, if you get more bored your the developer, you can finash it..

Wait what? Calon IS the developer! :S Nivade won't go much further if he's already looking at shutting it down. That's just carrying on something which is doomed to fail.

blanky12!
21-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Wait what? Calon IS the developer! :S Nivade won't go much further if he's already looking at shutting it down. That's just carrying on something which is doomed to fail.
yes, I know he is the developer what I am trying to get at he should stick it out; he wanted to get everyone in his town together, and he has done it now he should develop on to it so people in ENGLAND can comunicate together, then the world.. You should shut down, keep at it :).

Excellent2
21-11-2008, 03:05 PM
yes, I know he is the developer what I am trying to get at he should stick it out; he wanted to get everyone in his town together, and he has done it now he should develop on to it so people in ENGLAND can comunicate together, then the world.. You should shut down, keep at it :).Will you please either learn to spell or use a spell checker?

You could make some money out of it, around £20-40 so I'd consider selling it :)

blanky12!
21-11-2008, 03:09 PM
Will you please either learn to spell or use a spell checker?

You could make some money out of it, around £20-40 so I'd consider selling it :)
well, yeah i used to use mac OSX which automaticly puts the red line thing under the wrong word but now back on windows..

You mean that he should sell it for £20-£40? Sure, I'd offer him £100 but I sitll think he should carry on with this.

Source
21-11-2008, 03:44 PM
I'll be honest, and this is taking into account old coding of yours I have seen. Note how the following comment is not an insult, nor flame - but my view.

I wouldn't do either, selling on the code means you are potentially sending non secure code, slow code, or just plain bad code. But this also highlights another point, which would occur when releasing it free. If people are expected to learn from it then theoretically you are teaching them bad ways of coding, which really isn't a great start in their coding knowledge.

Jahova
21-11-2008, 03:54 PM
Sell it.

Calon
21-11-2008, 06:00 PM
I'll be honest, and this is taking into account old coding of yours I have seen. Note how the following comment is not an insult, nor flame - but my view.

I wouldn't do either, selling on the code means you are potentially sending non secure code, slow code, or just plain bad code. But this also highlights another point, which would occur when releasing it free. If people are expected to learn from it then theoretically you are teaching them bad ways of coding, which really isn't a great start in their coding knowledge.
Ah no, my code is pretty basic now.. I don't try using things that I don't understand which would make things insecure, I think I'll continue Nivade until the user base dies, then I'll consider writing some sort of tutorial

Decode
21-11-2008, 06:04 PM
Ah no, my code is pretty basic now.. I don't try using things that I don't understand which would make things insecure, I think I'll continue Nivade until the user base dies, then I'll consider writing some sort of tutorial
How big is your userbase at the moment?

Calon
21-11-2008, 06:09 PM
How big is your userbase at the moment?
Roughly 150 users,

20-40 use it daily, but that's people from my town, hence why I don't really want to shut it down.

Meti
21-11-2008, 07:36 PM
I think you should sell it, like Trinity said. And then make money =)

wazup999
21-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Before wanting to sell it or w/e you might want to rearrange the pages with the text that is all centered. It looks kind of nooby :] It looks ok but could be better.

Waz ;]

Calon
21-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Before wanting to sell it or w/e you might want to rearrange the pages with the text that is all centered. It looks kind of nooby :] It looks ok but could be better.

Waz ;]
I'm not asking for improvements.

wazup999
21-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Lol I know I was just pointing out a small flaw god.

L?KE
21-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Lol. That's like somebody asking for your opinion on an alteration and you suggest they code it in divs.

Stay on topic.

On that note, I think you might aswell release it if you have no intention of carrying it any further.

Calon
21-11-2008, 11:50 PM
Lol. That's like somebody asking for your opinion on an alteration and you suggest they code it in divs.

Stay on topic.

On that note, I think you might aswell release it if you have no intention of carrying it any further.
I'm going to continue Nivade until the user base dies, which is most likely soon as I have a lot of other things to work on now.

L?KE
21-11-2008, 11:52 PM
Seems fair :P.

How bad is the code? Cos you could release it as a cms or something.

Calon
21-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Seems fair :P.

How bad is the code? Cos you could release it as a cms or something.
The code is pretty good.. I'm not that bad at coding, no classes but the xhtml is terribly coded, the php is coded pretty well to be honest.

L?KE
21-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Oh it's just because somebody said on a previous page I think. Maybe just my crud memory.

Just zip it all up, make a download page for people with instructions, release notes and that and never worry about it again :P

Calon
22-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Oh it's just because somebody said on a previous page I think. Maybe just my crud memory.

Just zip it all up, make a download page for people with instructions, release notes and that and never worry about it again :P
Oh, I used to be an extremely tacky coder. :P

L?KE
22-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Lol.

I always make sure mines nice and clean and easy to read (OCD :P).

As for making it quicker, more secure etc I think I have more to learn.

habtasia
26-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Id buy if you sell it :)

Calon
26-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Id buy if you sell it :)
I'd consider selling it if the price is right, I don't know what sort of offer anyway, what would you offer?

Jam-ez
26-11-2008, 09:24 PM
I'd consider selling it if the price is right, I don't know what sort of offer anyway, what would you offer?

Even though you could probably make a bit of cash from selling it, there is more chance your work will go to ruin.

If you sell it, to someone who offers say $100, then they use it, and can't be bothered with it so just take it down and don't sell it on, your hard work is gone, wasted, ruined.

However, if you release it open-source, well, you; help people that can't afford a core, help people who just want to get to grips with the language, make more people become php nerds, and last of all its a lot harder for your script to die.

Well, its your choice but I know what I'd choose.

Calon
26-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Even though you could probably make a bit of cash from selling it, there is more chance your work will go to ruin.

If you sell it, to someone who offers say $100, then they use it, and can't be bothered with it so just take it down and don't sell it on, your hard work is gone, wasted, ruined.

However, if you release it open-source, well, you; help people that can't afford a core, help people who just want to get to grips with the language, make more people become php nerds, and last of all its a lot harder for your script to die.

Well, its your choice but I know what I'd choose.
If the price was right, I would consider selling it. But I know that Nivade has pottential, but I'm not really sure if I can be bothered with it.

Jam-ez
26-11-2008, 09:29 PM
If the price was right, I would consider selling it. But I know that Nivade has pottential, but I'm not really sure if I can be bothered with it.

But what if the guy you sell it on to forgets about it, and leaves it to rot? It has no potential then, under anyone's grasp. Still, I believe you should make it open-source, or at least some features, then sell the bigger, longer-construction time bits and bobs for a price.

wsg14
26-11-2008, 09:49 PM
But what if the guy you sell it on to forgets about it, and leaves it to rot? It has no potential then, under anyone's grasp. Still, I believe you should make it open-source, or at least some features, then sell the bigger, longer-construction time bits and bobs for a price.

I don't think he gives a **** if the new owner doesn't do anything with it...

Calon
26-11-2008, 09:52 PM
I don't think he gives a **** if the new owner doesn't do anything with it...
Um, yes I do. I worked hard on Nivade, even though I'd be gaining something from it I wouldn't want to see my work die.

Why are you trying to speak for me, you don't know what I'm thinking, nor do you know me.

wsg14
26-11-2008, 09:55 PM
Um, yes I do. I worked hard on Nivade, even though I'd be gaining something from it I wouldn't want to see my work die.

Why are you trying to speak for me, you don't know what I'm thinking, nor do you know me.

Then I was wrong, I take it back then.

Calon
26-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Then I was wrong, I take it back then.
tbh, I found it a tiny bit offensive that you think I would just let it die as I have worked so hard on it, you have noticed when I hired you to help with the javascript and I was working 24/7 during that time period.

wsg14
26-11-2008, 09:58 PM
tbh, I found it a tiny bit offensive that you think I would just let it die as I have worked so hard on it, you have noticed when I hired you to help with the javascript and I was working 24/7 during that time period.

If you feel that way about it then why not hire a team?

Calon
26-11-2008, 10:10 PM
If you feel that way about it then why not hire a team?
I'm looking into some sort of investor from my school (they have some useful links to companies :P)

wsg14
26-11-2008, 10:11 PM
I'm looking into some sort of investor from my school (they have some useful links to companies :P)

Good luck.

Calon
26-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Good luck.
Thank you. :)

No longer even considering selling Nivade, no matter how good the offer is, I wish to continue it. However, thanks for the support from a few people suggesting what I should do with Nivade in this thread.

Colin-Roberts
27-11-2008, 01:29 AM
lol bah, was just going to offer on nivade. looks great btw. looks like more work for my coding head now :(

Calon
27-11-2008, 07:45 AM
lol bah, was just going to offer on nivade. looks great btw. looks like more work for my coding head now :(
I'm interested,how much would you be offering? I most likely won't sell but I'd be interested to know how much Nivade is worth. Infact, I won't sell it just interested on how much people would buy it for

habtasia
27-11-2008, 02:06 PM
I'm interested,how much would you be offering? I most likely won't sell but I'd be interested to know how much Nivade is worth. Infact, I won't sell it just interested on how much people would buy it for
Id buy for at least £100

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!