PDA

View Full Version : Start Up

xxMATTGxx
22-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Hello,

My mum has a HP desktop with Windows Vista, every-time she boots up a white blank screen always comes up. It's Internet Explorer, it does this every time. it has no text, no toolbars, just fully white. There is nothing in the start up for it to open. Does anyone have any ideas on what it can be and how to stop it?

Recursion
22-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Press start, then in the search thing type MSCONFIG and press enter, goto the startup tab and take a look there.

Also, tried running a virus scan?

xxMATTGxx
22-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Press start, then in the search thing type MSCONFIG and press enter, goto the startup tab and take a look there.

Also, tried running a virus scan?

I looked in the start up tab and there is nothing there for IE to open. It can't be a virus, this started from a fresh reformat.

Clowgon
22-11-2008, 04:57 PM
It is possible that the driver for the external HD is causing your problem. Try starting in safe mode and see if your screen is still blank.

scottish
22-11-2008, 05:00 PM
Does everything load fine like explorer, just ie additionally pops up, or does nothing open and only ie opens? or what :P

Patt
22-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Did you tamper with the start up services?
Start>run>msconfig>startup
to be safe, make sure everything from Windows is on Start up.

Or did you manually edit the boot.ini?

scottish
22-11-2008, 05:21 PM
He just said he reformatted, so i doubt he edited boot file, also just said he went into the startup and msconfig, read before you post in future ;)

Patt
22-11-2008, 05:34 PM
i always tweak my computer after formatting.
as i did think most people did?
And before he was told just to look at start-up programs.
This also included boot.ini ;)

Try re-installing Vista?
or Repairing it?
Seeing as it's a HP it would most likely have a repair feature on a separate partition

Stephen!
22-11-2008, 06:35 PM
This happened to me before. The cause? A load of damaged registry processes. Only another reformat could fix it for me.

xxMATTGxx
23-11-2008, 09:30 AM
i always tweak my computer after formatting.
as i did think most people did?
And before he was told just to look at start-up programs.
This also included boot.ini ;)

Try re-installing Vista?
or Repairing it?
Seeing as it's a HP it would most likely have a repair feature on a separate partition

I hardly think my mum will start tweaking her computer <_<. Meh, I leave it for now. Too many files to back up and not got an external drive for her :P. Alt + F4 will be the tool for now :) Thanks to everyone whos posted btw.

mike475
24-11-2008, 09:58 PM
could of been a bad installation. i had that once, only got the basic vista and no programmes at all. did it again and i had the full graphic interface and programmes aswell.. strange.

Rix
30-11-2008, 02:52 PM
lol i thought this was a bug they ironed out after beta 2, i remember the days of having to install vista 3 times just to get the features to work lol help and support was always missing for some reason, might of just been my pc but it was annoying.

@ Matt hope you can fix it lol might fix it self after some updates from windows update?

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!