PDA

View Full Version : Smashed my screen :@

Yoshimitsui
23-11-2008, 10:30 PM
So yeah i have just put a massive crack/smash in it now! Can't believe i did it like.

My laptop is stil under warranty wth Dell and wonderd if anyone knows if they wil replace screens even if it was accidental damage?
I can't see anything about smashed screens so i thought i would ask if anyone has any information on this kinda thing.

Thanks, Yoshi

deeveeNoh
23-11-2008, 10:32 PM
ha ha

Edited by Yoshimitsui (Super Moderator): Do NOT make petty pointless and immature comments.

Fifteen
23-11-2008, 10:34 PM
I don't think covers accidental damage

I key fell off my keyboard and I can't put it back on ask 'em to fix it
they wouldnt do it
so i made a cardboard sqaure and selotaped it to my laptop

true story

deeveeNoh
23-11-2008, 10:35 PM
ha ha

Edited by Yoshimitsui (Super Moderator): Do NOT make petty pointless and immature comments.
LRN2SPEEL

Edited by Yoshimitsui (Super Moderator): Do NOT make pointless comments.

Excellent2
23-11-2008, 10:39 PM
I don't think covers accidental damage

I key fell off my keyboard and I can't put it back on ask 'em to fix it
they wouldnt do it
so i made a cardboard sqaure and selotaped it to my laptop

true storyNow thats what I call DIY! And no, I don't think they will..

iUnknown
23-11-2008, 10:44 PM
No, it's not feasible for them. Think about it, tons of people must get angry and smash around and break parts of their laptop. So it wouldn't be a good idea to fix stuff like that under warranty.

Mr.OSH
23-11-2008, 10:45 PM
:( Oh dear. I thought I'd wrecked my screen when I left my lamp pointing towards it and a big black mark appeared but the mark went anyway luckily and no real damage was done.

I'm sorry to say but I highly doubt your warranty will cover accidental damage. They offer insurance for things like that and that's because if you break it by mistake the warranty doesn't cover it. Unless you paid extra to cover that sort of damage you wont be able to get it replaced unless you somehow bend the truth to match the criteria for replacement under warranty but with a crack you can't exactly way it broke down or something? I hope you can sort it out - sorry to hear this has happened it's probably really frustrating. How did you actually manage to do it?

Yoshimitsui
23-11-2008, 11:00 PM
Oh great! God knows how much that is going to cost! And i don't thnk i could come up with an excuse for having a crack in the screen that was not inflicted by me.

And i picked something up next to me on the bed and as i lifted up my arm and flung it to the side i wacked into the screen.

kk.
23-11-2008, 11:03 PM
my sister claimed on her warranty (not at dell) after she dropped it off her bed landed on the corner of some draws and it ended up not charging. I think she said someone else knocked it off?

say u were at school and when u came back it had a massive crack in it or something.

Rapidshare
23-11-2008, 11:07 PM
LOLL

Ouch dude.

Hope you get it fixed

Yoshimitsui
23-11-2008, 11:11 PM
I don't mean flung as in chucked something, it was the way i moved my arm to one side lol! Im not a psycohpath. Before anyone asks.

And do you really think they would beleive i came to turn ir on at one point and the screen was cracked? I have gotten away with that one with a window before but i mean with the computer??

mat64
23-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Don't suppose you could claim it on your home insurance? A replacement screen for a laptop can cost as much as a new one sometimes anyway.

N!ck
You may be able to claim on your home insurance. My friend stood on her laptop by accident as it was under a load of clothes and it completely ruined the screen. They claimed on their home insurance and ended up with a new laptop.

Rapidshare
Lol, just say it faultly and it blew up?

kk.
yeh, they porbably dont care lol.

Yoshimitsui
23-11-2008, 11:22 PM
Well the laptop has had faults that dell are aware of! The motherboard decided to die just last month and i suppose i could say that this laptop is fualty and think of a few more problems for it!

And how would i go about claming it on home insurance!

mat64
23-11-2008, 11:32 PM
Although I have never had to claim off our home insurance. I'm guessing that whoevers' name the insurance is in would call the company and ask for a claim on the item and ask if the item would be covered as part of the home insurance plan. If it is then you'd be awarded some cash to what the company believes is the value of the item or they may offer to pay for repair work to the item, depending on whatever they want to do.

It's really something you need to discuss with the account holder, assuming that's not yourself.

kk.
23-11-2008, 11:32 PM
you speak to your mum/dad and they then ring the insurance company. voila, done. It might put if the insurance a pound or two depending on certain things like claims and the cost.

Yoshimitsui
23-11-2008, 11:36 PM
you speak to your mum/dad and they then ring the insurance company. voila, done. It might put if the insurance a pound or two depending on certain things like claims and the cost.

Ahh ok i will ask them! And yeah the computer is in my name to above n above!

Shawnstra
23-11-2008, 11:49 PM
Well the laptop has had faults that dell are aware of! The motherboard decided to die just last month and i suppose i could say that this laptop is fualty and think of a few more problems for it!

lol yeah say the screen exploded and on top of gettting a new laptop I want compensation as I need to go therapy as I am afraid of screens now. That will work :D

Maybe they will like empathize with you. Last time, I accidentally dropped my iPod and my screen cracked, and they gave me a free replacement. I suggest try to go get it replaced, don't get your hopes up, don't be too demanding, and maybe they will feel for you and give you a free replacement.

MasterFM
24-11-2008, 12:04 AM
OR you will just get some 17 year old muppet who has been told to pretend to care

benno123
24-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Unfortunately the only way you'd be able to get it replaced by Dell is if you paid for accidental damage cover. Most people don't, but you realise what a great investment it would've been if something like that happened.

HotelUser
24-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Ah, I hate then this happens. The cheapest way around this is to get a damaged model from eBay with the screen still intact.

Though if it were me, I'd use this as an excuse to get an entirely new laptop :P.

Yoshimitsui
24-11-2008, 04:51 PM
It's fairly new to be honest! But i don't want to have to pay for a new screen thats going to be mega expensive. Im just pondering on the situation i can use to explain to Dell when i ring them and ask what they can do about it.

It's one of the most sensative screens ever aswell, you can make the screen move from the other side of the laptop!!

Recursion
24-11-2008, 05:06 PM
If its new, say it just happened, Dell are usually really good with their customer service.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!