PDA

View Full Version : Damaged iMac

bigdavecox90
23-11-2008, 11:13 PM
How easy are they to repair/get repaired?

Is it an expensive process?

I've seen plenty of them on eBay for say around £50.....

Would it be worth it or not?

Jordy
23-11-2008, 11:33 PM
It's quite simple but of course it depends how they're damaged. Damaged is a very generic term so it could be beyond repair or something small. They use laptop components and I know they can be upgraded and presumably repaired and some people do make a fair bit of money out of them.

bigdavecox90
23-11-2008, 11:39 PM
It's quite simple but of course it depends how they're damaged. Damaged is a very generic term so it could be beyond repair or something small. They use laptop components and I know they can be upgraded and presumably repaired and some people do make a fair bit of money out of them.

Many of them are cracked screens.

Easy to repair?

Jordy
23-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Many of them are cracked screens.

Easy to repair?Not an expert on cracked screens but they'd cost around £200-300 to be repaired at an Apple store and that's the reason why most people are selling them (and very few buying them).

I'm pretty sure that repairing the screens yourself is very difficult if not impossible, and it would be expensive even if it was possible. It's possible you could claim on the Home Insurance however it's never advisable making fraudulent claims as once an insurance company finds out, they all do and you won't be able to get insurance and they could ask for a receipt anyway, but it could be worth a try if you're desperate for cash :P

xxMATTGxx
24-11-2008, 06:38 AM
Yeah, its gonna be a struggle for you to fix. As Apple will charge you for 1. You got no warranty 2. No apple care of such. If your looking for a mac,find a powermac. There old, but you can mess about with the insides and upgrade them. They could possible run Leopard as well. But I never had a Power one before, so I let someone else explain about them if they wish.

lolwut
27-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Well, if you go for the iMac G5 with a cracked/broken screen, you'll need whatever display adaptor that Mac requires, and then you can hook up an external screen.

You could got for a PowerMac G5..? I have a 1.8Ghz G5 PM and it works fine.
I know Matt said about getting Leopard on it, but is that really necessary?
Mac apps are (for the most part) designed according to a thing called Universal Binary. This means that as long as you're not on anything less than Mac OS X 10.4.x, most (if not all) apps should run fine.
You need to ask one of the real Apple geeks about this, I'm still a learner. :)

As an example of this; I have my PM G5 and my Intel MM, the only app my PM doesn't run is iStat menus, which is pointless anyway.

Hope I've helped.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!