PDA

View Full Version : [THE BIG WEEKLY QUESTION] Only got 4 minutes to save the world (and I did it in 3)

Fez
29-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Skip to the point damnit

Are games long enough in this generation?

I don't think so, COD4, CODWAW, Halo 3 had only 6 hours of gameplay... 7 on veteren/legendary. MGS4 was gonna be like ''omg epic win''... for 12 hours... I think the single-player portion of a game is now been seriously ignored, even Fallout 3's guilty of a 20 hour campaign and that even ends after it.

Neil
29-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Yes games are way too short now, the longest games I've played on the 360 are oblivion and phantasy star universe, oblivion is like 20 hours to do everything and I had 31 hours in phantasy star by the end of the game, everything else only lasts a few hours, though I would say veteran on CoD5 is miles longer than 7 hours, more like 12 with the amount of replays you end up doing of most of the levels xD

I'd like to say Burnout Paradise is a long game since I've racked up about 20-30 hours on it but really it's just replaying most of the races if you think about it

PaulMacC
29-11-2008, 04:53 PM
To be honest, the Wii has the longest games lol. Super Mario Galaxay had 50 hours of gameplay, Zelda had 40 and Animal Crossing has God knows how many.
The only "long" game I've played for Xbox360 would be Fallout 3.

Neil
29-11-2008, 04:58 PM
To be honest, the Wii has the longest games lol. Super Mario Galaxay had 50 hours of gameplay, Zelda had 40 and Animal Crossing has God knows how many.
The only "long" game I've played for Xbox360 would be Fallout 3.

SMG only has anywhere near 50 hours if you try 100% it xD
Animal Crossing doesn't count since it's a sim sort of thing, it never actually ends

But yea the Wii probably has longer games since it has less graphics to worry about xD

Niall!
29-11-2008, 05:51 PM
Indeed, left4dead is only 4 hours but the online multiplayer makes up for it.

Wootzeh
29-11-2008, 08:43 PM
gta 4 should of been much longer aswell.

Foals
29-11-2008, 08:46 PM
Guitar Hero isn't, I've been playing every day since February and I'm still nowhere near done.
I was gutted by the length of R6V2 though, took me about 2 hours to complete the story on realistic.

Ashley 12344
29-11-2008, 09:04 PM
I actually had a full blown rant on another forum about this very topic, as well as to my friends. On the PS1, for £10 you could pick up a game with a solid 100 hours STORYLINE gameplay. Nowadays, you get a maximum of 30 hours with either some form of online or random tasks (eg Assassin's Creed flags, GTA Pigeons), for £40.

I'm getting to the stage where paying for games is not happening.
In a month, I traded in.
Fifa 09 - bored of it.
Saints Row 2 - Storyline took a few days
GoW2 - 2 days and done, without playing GoW1
Fable 2 - way shallower than I expected

and I'm on the way to trading in Fallout 3. Its not worth £40.

Jord
30-11-2008, 06:30 AM
Yes there to short imo,

Its like cod4/5 And halo are both easy

And Fallout 3 Is too long its like 20+ odd hours

To be a good game it should be 14 - 18 Hours Imo.

Ashley 12344
30-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Yes there to short imo,

Its like cod4/5 And halo are both easy

And Fallout 3 Is too long its like 20+ odd hours

To be a good game it should be 14 - 18 Hours Imo.

No way. A game can't be too long.
At £40 a pop, even at 20 hours gameplay your paying £2 an hour for it.

FlyingJesus
30-11-2008, 11:33 AM
A game can be too long if nothing changes ever tbh, but yeah most games these days sacrifice gameplay for graphics, which is a pretty poor trade-off frankly. I'd far rather play FFVIII which is about 10 years old now I think but guarantees well over 100 hours of gameplay even without any extras and side quests and stuff than something like GTA4 which you do in a day or two

Ashley 12344
30-11-2008, 12:47 PM
Exactly as I said.
Paying £10 for 100 hours (way more - more replayability), for a PS1 games or £40 for some highly detailled piece of **** which'll take me 6 hours to complete before I can run around aimlessly. The quality of storylines is nothing these days either, on most games.

Andeeh
30-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Yes they are really short nowadays and its a shame because some games would be that 1 step better with a great campaign nowadays i think its focused more about online play.

Hated
30-11-2008, 11:07 PM
I've still not beat gta4 and i've had it 3 months :$
Everytime i go to play it though i get distracted and just joy ride so i've never actually got any further than going out on a first date with michelle.

PaulMacC
30-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Final Fantasy is one of the best RPG series out there Tom, it has everything. I mean even replaying the original one on the NES you can see how much effort they put into it. I can get 20 hours of gameplay from a nearing 20 year old title on the NES why cant they do it today.

mangle
30-11-2008, 11:11 PM
Most are, some aren't. Thing is people don't want replayability nowadays, back with Megaman and stuff like that you always used to replay. But you won't see me replaying my games that often now.

today
30-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Dead Space - Way too short
Fable 2 - Really short, not worth it :(

I think the longest game i've played is Tomb Raider lol..

mangle
30-11-2008, 11:18 PM
I think they're at the length where we don't want to replay them for the fact they're too long to replay if you get me?

A 4 hour game like L4D will be replayed whereas GTA wont.

J0SH
01-12-2008, 12:16 PM
They're long if you take time to enjoy them instead of sitting down for that many hours straight and them complaining that it was so short. :P I still haven't even done campaign on World at War, I've got a few missions left but I just can't be bothered with campaign, so I wouldn't really call them short if you take your time with them.

The Professor
01-12-2008, 05:29 PM
Yep, I remember playing Digimon World 3 on the PS1 way back when which took me weeks to complete playing it pretty much non stop. Even as little ago as Final Fantasy X and GTA San Andreas the games took at the very least a fortnight to play through. I don't actually have a console atm for that very reason; you just don't get value for money any more. I play games on the PC because the backlibrary is massive and the games are about half as cheap; I can't justify spending £150 on a 360 with another £0/40 whenever I want to play a game.

When they stop with the cavalcade of money spinning and short, medicore games I might be persuaded to invest, but the value just isn't there atm. Yahtzee makes a good point in Zero Puntuation though; graphics are about as good as they're ever going to be so games designers are going to have to start focusing on gameplay and story to sell games. If that happens it should be more exciting :)

Ashley 12344
01-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Yep, I remember playing Digimon World 3 on the PS1 way back when which took me weeks to complete playing it pretty much non stop. Even as little ago as Final Fantasy X and GTA San Andreas the games took at the very least a fortnight to play through. I don't actually have a console atm for that very reason; you just don't get value for money any more. I play games on the PC because the backlibrary is massive and the games are about half as cheap; I can't justify spending £150 on a 360 with another £0/40 whenever I want to play a game.

When they stop with the cavalcade of money spinning and short, medicore games I might be persuaded to invest, but the value just isn't there atm. Yahtzee makes a good point in Zero Puntuation though; graphics are about as good as they're ever going to be so games designers are going to have to start focusing on gameplay and story to sell games. If that happens it should be more exciting :)

I'm thinking about doing the same thing. Getting out some old PS1 games, and if nothing changes selling my 360 and improving my PC.

Technologic
01-12-2008, 07:00 PM
If you suck ass at fallout as much as i do then it takes way longer than 20 hours >.>

Fez
01-12-2008, 08:09 PM
I can't be bothered at all. Might pick it up when trophies are patched.

Ashley 12344
01-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Didn't overly rate Fallout personally.

Really hard in parts as well.

Niall!
06-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I've started becoming a PC gamer as they have good length games and you can easily pirate them.

I'm also using more emulators than usual.

Neil
06-12-2008, 08:34 PM
I completed Fallout and as far as I'm concerned from the second you press start new game to the end of the game only main missions actually count as game time and fallout SERIOUSLY fell short on that one, must of been like 10 hours long, if that, 100% on it will take way less than 20 hours

Jordy
06-12-2008, 10:28 PM

When they stop with the cavalcade of money spinning and short, medicore games I might be persuaded to invest, but the value just isn't there atm. Yahtzee makes a good point in Zero Puntuation though; graphics are about as good as they're ever going to be so games designers are going to have to start focusing on gameplay and story to sell games. If that happens it should be more exciting :)Indeed but you get the beauty of trade-in's with Xbox 360 games, I have a few friends who buy a game released on the Friday, buy it for £35 brand new on release date, complete it or get bored of it within the week, and sell it back for £25 and then buy the latest game for £35, they only lose £10 on each game really and that's not a bad price really, they keep a fair bit of value unlike PC Games.

PC Gaming isn't particularly cheap once you get the decent graphics card, jostick, keyboard & mouse and bare in mind less games are being released on the PC purely because they're easily pirated, that's why the Gears of War 2 developers said it'll never turn up on PC however it probably will eventually as it's already being owned by Halo 3 in the 'Weekly online statistics'.

newWORLDorder
06-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Games suck lately, Apparently LBP is fairly lengthy.. THQ said the New WWE would take around 14 hours for ALL of the RTWs, which I finished in around 2-3 hours. WaW is too short also.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!