PDA

View Full Version : iPod Touch

Neil
02-12-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm hoping to get an iPod for christmas, I've seen a few threads about "jailbreaking" iPod and I'm not really sure about it, I know what it is but I've just got a few questions about it and the iPod in general

Is jailbreaking safe? Is there a chance that my iPod could actually break if I do this?

Can I download and play movies without jailbreaking?

What advantages do you get from jailbreaking?

Most importantly, is it easy to do?

+Rep to anyone that can help xD

Recursion
02-12-2008, 09:59 PM
It can break, but its HIGHLY unlikely.

Yes you can download and play them, make sure to convert them with a prorgram like Handbrake first though.

Jailbreaking allows you to install cracked App Store apps and great 3rd party software. Allows you to theme, skin, do whatever to your iPod.

Its EXTREMELY easy, QuickPwn does 98% of it for you.

Neil
02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
So it's kinda like using custom firmware on a PSP but way better? xD

+Rep

Recursion
02-12-2008, 10:02 PM
And way easier :P

But you can't Jailbreak the new iPod Touch yet, only the first Gen ones, they are working on the 2nd Gen ones as we speak.

Neil
02-12-2008, 10:04 PM
More questions from me will pop up when I actually get it, just needed to know those few important things, also what's a good site for all the jailbreaking stuff? Like where I can download the stuff needed and where I can get apps and stuff

Recursion
02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
It installs an application called Cydia, which is where you download them from :)

http://www.quickpwn.com/ - QuickPwn, basically, upgrade your iPod to Firmware 2.2 then run the Application [QuickPwn] and follow the instructions on screen :)

BobX
02-12-2008, 11:52 PM
i would 100% say do not jailbreak it. i tried it and it came up with like the matrix type code with just letters running down the screen for 3 hours and then it was flashing red and blue and green for ages. its seriously not worth risking over £200 worth of stuff because apple will not replace it if you tamper with it.

jailbreaking is basically only needed for getting free apps before apple released ipod 2.2 update [which is now included in the G2 touches.. so you dont need to buy it] but people were then jailbreaking rather then paying £5.99 for the app store which is a small price to pay for breaking ur iPod. also there are thousands of free apps just as good as the bought ones on the appstore so it is worth checking those out.

do not jailbreak your ipod.

Recursion
03-12-2008, 04:48 PM
It is nearly impossible to brick now. The lines of code are meant to come up (they dont anymore) and they only do for about 3 minutes, not HOURS. It would be impossible for it to flash red, blue and green for ages if it was bricked.

Jailbreaking is still used to get free apps, and for free cracked App Store apps.

In no way are the free App Store apps just as good as the paid ones.

Do jailbreak.

-rep.

Jackbee
03-12-2008, 04:53 PM
I don't usually care about things like this..

But seriously, in my opinion, Jailbraking iPods is stupid.

kk.
03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
jailbreaking is used to get apps which change the background, theme and apps which are paid for. The themes are good and backgrounds are too.

I have no problem jailbreaking but i prefer to just keep it simple. At the end of the day, you wont use it that often for the apps anyway. I know i dont, just music and the internet

mb-group.net
03-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Go on, JailBreak your iPod. I have Jailbroken mine and it was the best thing I have ever done, yeah, sometimes a bad app will brick your iPod (temporarily) but I just restored it in iTunes and re-jailbroke it. It is a must do if you want the ultimate device.

All I need to be able to do now is sync my Google Contacts and Calendar with the device - then it will be 100% perfect :)

Neil
03-12-2008, 08:30 PM
Do you need to jailbreak to get free games, if it only lets you play with themes and applications then it doesn't really matter, I only wanna do it so I can have a game to play all the time xD

kk.
03-12-2008, 08:32 PM
go to itunes and looka t the app store. See if the games that are free will suit what you want. Even so, the games for the touch are only like £3 anyway so its not a massive amount

Neil
03-12-2008, 08:38 PM
go to itunes and looka t the app store. See if the games that are free will suit what you want. Even so, the games for the touch are only like £3 anyway so its not a massive amount

Yea I'd probably do that, I'd rather not risk breaking my ipod just for a few useless extras xD

03-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Yea I'd probably do that, I'd rather not risk breaking my ipod just for a few useless extras xD
thats the same way i look at it.

Recursion
03-12-2008, 10:12 PM
I've jailbroken countless times and haven't broken it yet.

Decode
03-12-2008, 10:17 PM
Surley when you jail break you are just changeing the firmware, that can be downloaded and replaced.

Recursion
03-12-2008, 10:36 PM
100% Correct

100/100

Hole in one.

BobX
05-12-2008, 12:49 AM
it did mess up my ipod for hours, i was sitting there expecting it to be done and it didnt finish so i had to disconnect it, i tried again and nothing happend. so i just revamped it all again and got it backto normal..

do not jailbreak your ipod it is not worth it. i have loads of games and apps on my ipod none paid for and they all keep me entertained. its not worth just downloading it to have a different colour theme? wow? and the free apps are just as good as the paid for apps.
+ if your going to -rep me have the guts to leave your name you coward [not aimed at *****]

seriously though neil do not jailbreak it. its not like you have to jailbreak it to be popular as all these other kids are acting like.

Recursion
05-12-2008, 07:50 AM
No, if you want the most out of it, Jailbreaking is the way. Maybe if Apple wern't so restricting then we wouldn;t have to run the risk.

Recursion
05-12-2008, 05:46 PM
Btw, thanks for the revenge rep BobX, im getting it removed.

Mint
05-12-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm fed up of seeing the same old theme so thats why I am downloading quickpwn now.

BobX
06-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Btw, thanks for the revenge rep BobX, im getting it removed.

it was not revenge rep, i did not agree with your comment like you did not agree with my "stupid comment".

RedStratocas
06-12-2008, 02:34 PM

yeahhh basically.

honestly, basically every app gets old. some are nice to have but even the nice ones i forget about pretty easily. thats why i havent done jailbreaking, i dont really care enough to risk breaking my ipod, which is already fine the way it is.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!