PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu + Belkin F5D7050 v5 adapter

Calon
05-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey there, I need help with my belkin adapter, I can't install ndiswrapper as the instructions really aren't clear, please could someone give me a lot more help on how to install ndiswrapper - I'm new too Linux.

I'd prefer if someone could hook me up with some direct driver or something for Linux or some easier method..

Rix
06-12-2008, 10:41 AM
I know the pain with that wireless adapter personally, i hoewever have the v3

i found this on a website
bit lengthy but should work if not

Google: Ubuntu +F5D7050

I recently installed Ubuntu 8.10 onto my desktop. I did a clean install from my previous setup with Ubuntu 8.04. Everything ran smoothly out of the box except the internet again. After spending hours researching a remedy to get my desktop online I found a solution. I believe this is the same method I used to get my desktop online when I had Ubuntu 8.04 on it

I’m using the Belkin F5D7050 version 5000 USB network adapter with Ubuntu 8.10 also known as Intrepid Ibex.

This may not work for everyone but it worked for me.

Things you need before starting:

* Ubuntu 8.10 CD
* Driver CD for the Belkin adapter (You could probably just use the driver from the website as well)

What I did:

1. I installed ndiswrapper (A utility to allow you to install windows network drivers into Ubuntu). To do this I went to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager. I believe this isn’t readily available to you but you can install it from the CD. Insert CD and then in Synaptic Package Manager go to Settings > Repositories. Under Ubuntu Software you’ll see a window at the bottom that says “Installable from CD-ROM/DVD”. Select the option. Then go to the updates tab and select “unsupported updates (intrepid-backports)” Then click close.
2. You’ll get a pop-up message that says you need to reload or what not. Click ok and hit reload
3. Then in the quick search box type in ndiswrapper
4. You should see three packages, “ndisgtk (This is a GUI to use ndiswrapper), ndiswrapper-utils-1.9, and ndiswrapper-common
5. I installed the GUI by right clicking and selecting “Mark for Installation” this will automatically select the other packages to be installed. Click apply and it will install all the packages.
6. Now exit out of synaptic and navigate to System > Administration > Windows Wireless Drivers
7. Insert your Belkin driver CD
8. Then click on Install new driver. It will ask for the INF file. Navigate to your CD rom
9. For the driver I installed the WindowsXP driver. To do this go into the InstallationFiles and then WinXP2K and select BLKWGU.inf
10. Then click on install and it should install it into your system. Once you’ve installed it in the left hand side you should see blkwgu and hardware present: Yes
11. Close Windows Wireless Drivers
12. Now open up a terminal and type in: iwconfig
13. One of these is your wireless device. For me it shows up next to wlan0 and it says IEEE 802.11g
14. Remember this because you’ll use it quite a few times
15. Now type in: sudo gedit /etc/network/interfaces
16. This will open up a document and inside should see 2 lines that say: auto lo and iface lo inet loopback
17. Underneath that add: auto wlan0 and then on the next line add: iface wlan0 inet dhcp
18. Save the file then restart your machine
19. Once you’re back in Ubuntu you should be able to use Network Manager in the top right hand corner to connect to your network
20. Unfortunately for me this didn’t work. Our system uses WEP and everytime I entered the key it rejected it.
21. Fortunately you can manually configure your wireless connection with a ssid and key
22. To do this open up a terminal and type in: sudo iwconfig wlan0 essid routername key 123456
23. Change wlan0 to whatever your wireless connection was called when you type in iwconfig and replace routername with your router’s ssid and replace 123456 with your wireless wep key
24. Then type in: sudo dhclient wlan0
25. Again replace wlan0 with whatever iwconfig output for your wireless connection
26. If all goes well you should get a few lines back that shows your wireless connection has been assigned an IP by the router
27. This next step is extra but it seemed to keep me from type in sudo iwconfig wlan0….and sudo dhclient wlan0 everytime I started up Ubuntu.
28. I installed Wifi-radar
29. To do this go to Applications > Add/Remove. Then changed the drop down that says Show: to “All Open Source Applications”
30. Then type in radar in the search box.
31. First thing that pops up should be wifi-radar. Install that and that’s it. Wifi-Radar should already be connected to your wireless router. But for some reason now when you restart your Ubuntu it should automatically connect to your router instead of typing in those commands into your terminal

Kyle!
06-12-2008, 08:36 PM
This is why i didn't stick with Ubuntu... (Plus the fact that it didn't support my iPhone 3G...)

Rix
07-12-2008, 08:34 AM
lol ubuntu the new build hangs on my laptop the old distro ran fine

Calon
07-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Thanks, but I bought a new adapter which is actually supported without ndiswrapper

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!