PDA

View Full Version : Quick Iphone q's please!

Ostinato
05-12-2008, 07:11 PM
Hiya, I just got my iphone and I've put my O2 sim only contract in it.

I love it so far but I am having a couple of wee problems. My signal seems to very limited and although it's getting up to 3 bars at times it's quite often not available at all and stuff.

Also when I try to get onto safari, youtube etc. it's trying to make me connect to my router - but I just want to use the data plan I am paying for rather than my router?

Do I need to set up my internet settings or something?

I've also had a nosy about trying to sort that and seen something about Data Push but I'm a bit hasty activating that as I googled it and have see a lot about £5000 charges and stuff lol.

Just wondering if someone could clear some of it up for this apple newb please! :P

edit: It's letting me ring my house and receive texts... so I don't think my network in general is a problem! x

EDIT2: lol okay I tried connecting to safaria again there and I have a full signal now and when it asked me to connect to router I just cancelled so thats all fine :) Whats will the whole data push crap?

Recursion
05-12-2008, 07:16 PM
The signal strength may be just your area, or the iPhone may have a problem.

I think you can stop it using the WiFi when you are out of your WiFi coverage, try forgetting the network and try it, then readd it.

Datapush is something else.

Rapidshare
05-12-2008, 07:17 PM
Wouldnt you want to use your router as it faster then your data plan :S?

Ostinato
05-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Wouldnt you want to use your router as it faster then your data plan :S?

Yeh well I will later, but I am just texting things out and stuff at the moment before Santa takes it off me and looks after it! lol

So just wanna check my data plan that I'm paying for all works fine and that

Rapidshare
05-12-2008, 07:23 PM
It should be somewhere in internet setting then :)

x

Ostinato
05-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Its cool the data plan thing is working fine lol

Whats the data push about?

Recursion
05-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Its for pushing calendar, email etc...

"Push e-mail is used to describe e-mail (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail) systems that provide an "always-on" capability, in which new e-mail is instantly and actively transferred (pushed) as it arrives by the mail delivery agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_delivery_agent) (MDA) (commonly called mail server) to the mail user agent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_client) (MUA), also called the e-mail client. Most of today's clients are smartphones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone)."

Rapidshare
05-12-2008, 07:27 PM
involves the Smart Cache being capable of receiving updates and modifications pro-actively sent to it from the remote server holding the source ...

Lightstreamer is a software product for delivering real-time textual data to any kind of application through the Internet. Banks and online-gaming companies typically use it to dispatch live updates to their Web pages or Flex applications, supporting high numbers of parallel connections. Recently, solutions have been released that use Lightstreamer to push live data to the iPhone. There are two active fronts: solutions that push the data to the iPhone browser and solutions that push the data to iPhone native applications.

That all i could find out, i think data push is to update the apps you got

Ostinato
05-12-2008, 07:41 PM
I see. So would I need that on to get my email updates like? Will it cost me extra or is it covered in the data plan?

Rapidshare
05-12-2008, 07:49 PM
Should be with data plan tbh, not sure though

Recursion
05-12-2008, 09:06 PM
It will be in the data plan, and Data push has nothing to do with the apps, its for email.

Ostinato
06-12-2008, 12:10 AM
Okay thanks.

So do you guys have the data push on? So when I set my email up it will alert me of them basically? :s

Kyle!
06-12-2008, 02:40 AM
Okay thanks.

So do you guys have the data push on? So when I set my email up it will alert me of them basically? :s

data push will not incur any charges if you have your data plan with O2 :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!