PDA

View Full Version : Mirrors Edge - Somewhat a review...

Johno
13-12-2008, 01:15 PM
Hey :)

Just thought, why the hell not write up a review for Mirrors Edge - Not like I don't have anything better to do... apart from an essay that is due for English.

So, Mirrors Edge! Developed by DICE, the same people that brought us the Battlefield series - Great series and well, is Mirrors Edge going to do them justice?

I am currently playing through Chapter 5: New Eden and to be fair I think I have a good understanding of what is happening in the game.

You are Faith, a runner. When a child, your parents protested against the mayor and your mother was killed during a downtown protest. You never really forgave your father, so you ran away. Whilst breaking into Merc's layer, he caught you and trained you to become a runner.

Now, a new candidate for mayor of the city has been killed and your sister has been framed. Your sister, Kate, is a blue. One of the cities police members, and with her in jail - she wont last long. It is your job to clear her name and find out what happened before she gets prosecuted.

So, that's a little bit of back story (I am hoping its mostly correct) and well I would say that the game was a success in my eyes. It probably didn't sell as many units as would have been liked but the whole dynamic of the game is really good!

Pros:
New kind of gameplay dynamic
Free Running!
The mix of combat/running DOES flow pretty well.
Just overall an interesting game.

Cons:
Although combat is good, feels unnecessary to game as a whole.
Some areas become very irritating (When you are being chased by blues and you have to jump on a bloody train!)
Death - Death is very annoying. One slip and you die, gets very irritating.

I would love to have written more, but I want to get the game finished!

What do others think of the game? :)

Oleh
13-12-2008, 03:24 PM
I hate the fact that sometimes they give no clues to what you have to do, spent best part of 30minutes trying to deactivate a electric fence to find i was stood next to the switch

IceNineKills
13-12-2008, 06:30 PM
I thought that game was proper crap..Glad I rented it and didn't buy it.

Johno
13-12-2008, 07:37 PM
I hate the fact that sometimes they give no clues to what you have to do, spent best part of 30minutes trying to deactivate a electric fence to find i was stood next to the switch

Yeah I do agree sometimes there does need to be a bit more help given to the player but all in all, I thought it was quite good :)

Although, due to the shortness of it - I am glad it was rented not purchased.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!