PDA

View Full Version : Why is Channel 5 so greedy?

Calon
14-12-2008, 12:01 AM
Every other channel is showing news or weather which is on normal TV, yet channel 5 are taking people's money due to their own greed. ITV got out of it at a good time.

dirrty
14-12-2008, 12:03 AM
n ur point is...
the main point is making money :S

Moh
14-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Every other channel is showing news or weather which is on normal TV, yet channel 5 are taking people's money due to their own greed. ITV got out of it at a good time.
Its only BBC which gets out TV Licence fees isn't it?

Calon
14-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Not at all.

They gain enough profit, it's just terrible greed.

Minstrels
14-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Yeah which is why they don't have adverts.

Moh
14-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Not at all.

They gain enough profit, it's just terrible greed.
Im sure it all goes to BBC. 5 dosn't get any..

Calon
14-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Im sure it all goes to BBC. 5 dosn't get any..
Meh, 5 has the most ads over any itv channel or 4 channel

Minstrels
14-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Meh, 5 has the most ads over any itv channel or 4 channel
Because unless you have Sky you can't receive Channel 5 unless your in the Thames signal.

Technologic
14-12-2008, 12:12 AM
channel 5 is a good channel.... if you dont like it then dont watch it

and what at the above?

Minstrels
14-12-2008, 12:14 AM
channel 5 is a good channel.... if you dont like it then dont watch it

and what at the above?
You can't receive Channel 5 unless you live in London. If you don't live in London you need Sky to receive it because they have such a poor signal... I think.

dirrty
14-12-2008, 12:15 AM
ur chattin air cuz u can watch channel 5 without sky outside ldn:S

Andeeh
14-12-2008, 12:16 AM
In Brighton i get channel 5 in my lil tv ;) its an alrite channel

Minstrels
14-12-2008, 12:17 AM
ur chattin air cuz u can watch channel 5 without sky outside ldn:S
In most places you can't receive it.

In Brighton i get channel 5 in my lil tv ;) its an alrite channel
Yeah they have the Manchester City away Uefa Cup matches on it. :eusa_clap

Calon
14-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Because unless you have Sky you can't receive Channel 5 unless your in the Thames signal.
Hastings & Brighton (I believe) was a town to receieve Channel 5, and you can view it on freeview anyway.

Nick.
14-12-2008, 12:31 AM
We live out in the country and get Channel 5 loud and clear so don't know what you're talking about.

License fees only go to BBC.

I don't get your point, are you annoyed they aren't showing news and weather or what? Explain...

Jordy
14-12-2008, 12:33 AM
You can't receive Channel 5 unless you live in London. If you don't live in London you need Sky to receive it because they have such a poor signal... I think.Incorrect. It simply has poorer reception in more remote areas of the UK and has no where near as many masts as the other channels.

I personally believe Channel 4 has more adverts, they're just none-stop and they really are the worst.

Who watches Channel 5 anyway? :P

CJW93
14-12-2008, 12:33 AM
5 sucks

Minstrels
14-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Well you need Sky to get it in Manchester.

Calon
14-12-2008, 12:37 AM
We live out in the country and get Channel 5 loud and clear so don't know what you're talking about.

License fees only go to BBC.

I don't get your point, are you annoyed they aren't showing news and weather or what? Explain...
Quiz shows - It's terrible that they're just taking money like this.

Geraint
14-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Channel 5 is a less popular channel so it needs more adverts to bring in more money.

Jordy
14-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Quiz shows - It's terrible that they're just taking money like this.Not really they're a business at the end of the day and clearly if it didn't make them so much profit, they wouldn't do it.

As somebody once famously said BLAME THE PUBLIC.

Technologic
14-12-2008, 12:39 AM

What you on about? I get it fine...

Calon
14-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Channel 5 is a less popular channel so it needs more adverts to bring in more money.
Not at all, they have good movies.

Minstrels
14-12-2008, 12:40 AM
What you on about? I get it fine...
Your in Cheshire... aren't you?

Technologic
14-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Your in Cheshire... aren't you?

Cheshire/Greater Manchester border.

Same transmitter though, the one at winter hill

Geraint
14-12-2008, 12:43 AM
Not at all, they have good movies.

To have these movies, football matches on, it costs money so they get their extra income from adverts. Maybe they charge less for adverts so they can get the extra income needed.

Calon
14-12-2008, 12:44 AM
http://about.five.tv/customer-services/how-to-get-five/i-want-five

Five is currently available on both analogue and digital. However by 2012 in a plan outlined by the government analogue transmitters across the UK will be turned off forever ITV region by ITV region. We would therefore advise you if you haven't got digital already to start considering your options. Full information can be found on the Digital UK website at www.digitaluk.co.uk (http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/)

http://about.five.tv/files/images/template9/master_0000_analogue_midres.jpg

Jxhn
14-12-2008, 10:01 AM

I live in southern manchster and I get it okay. Not that I actually watch it. Endless hours of CSI.

Nick.
14-12-2008, 10:18 AM
Quiz shows - It's terrible that they're just taking money like this.
ITV shows loads of quiz shows through the night, from about 12 onwards...

@Calons post http://www.habboxforum.com/showpost.php?p=5392192&postcount=27

Yes, every channel will be going digital by 2012, you will need a set-top box or Sky box for every channel. What on earth are you on about :S They will still be available on Freeview. No channel will be available on your TV's standard analogue 1-5... "/

Mitch4?
14-12-2008, 01:39 PM
I live in cheshire too, and ive never spoken to anyone who recieves a good channel 5 signal without sky.

Cypher-
14-12-2008, 03:09 PM
You can't receive Channel 5 unless you live in London. If you don't live in London you need Sky to receive it because they have such a poor signal... I think.

Lol how many times have you ventured outside of London, thats probably the most ridiculous thing Ive heard in ages. A highend tv channel not having the range to reach the entire country? And they are a business, of course they have to charge larger amounts than the other mainstream channels considering they did introduce their channel later on than the rest.

PriceTags
14-12-2008, 03:25 PM

I'm in Manchester and we can get it without Sky ;l. You must live right behind the CIS tower or something...

It was like 10 years ago when nobody could get it.

I've not read the whole thread because Minstrels was chatting so much, but all the 5 main channels get a share of the TV license, but BBC get most. They're all Public Service Broadcasters, and they all have a purpose which they need to fulfil, which they have been given by Ofcom.

But, of course, they are all businesses, so they need to show adverts to make profit, and to get money to invest in new programmes.

Virgin Mary
14-12-2008, 03:58 PM
nOOOOOOO THEY'RE TAKING UR MONEY
LITERALLY WALKING INTO UR HOUSE
POICKING UP UR WALLET
AND TAKING OUT UR MONEY

Look you poor freak, in both the pitiful sense and the financial sense: Shut up.

Nick.
14-12-2008, 06:07 PM
I'm in Manchester and we can get it without Sky ;l. You must live right behind the CIS tower or something...

It was like 10 years ago when nobody could get it.

I've not read the whole thread because Minstrels was chatting so much, but all the 5 main channels get a share of the TV license, but BBC get most. They're all Public Service Broadcasters, and they all have a purpose which they need to fulfil, which they have been given by Ofcom.

But, of course, they are all businesses, so they need to show adverts to make profit, and to get money to invest in new programmes.

Wrong!! Only the BBC get it, it's a well known fact that only the BBC get it, that's why BBC don't have ads!

In the United Kingdom and the Crown dependencies, a television licence is required to receive any publicly broadcast television service, from any source. This includes the commercial channels, cable and satellite transmissions. The money from the licence fee is used to provide radio, television and Internet content for the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), and Welsh-language television programmes for S4C.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom

:/

awelsh
14-12-2008, 06:16 PM
I get channel 5 fine through an analogue ariel :S and also, as stated it is ONLY the BBC that gets money from TV Liscences, what I don't agree with is the fact of why we should pay for a TV Liscence if we dont want to watch the BBC channels. Thats clean off.

Also at calon, why do you care if they show quiz shows etc? Im sure if you had a TV station and you needed money you would do the same thing.

Jxhn
14-12-2008, 07:06 PM
I live in cheshire too, and ive never spoken to anyone who recieves a good channel 5 signal without sky.

I live here and I get it ok on analogue. Admittedly it rarely works on digital, but I don't really care.

jackass
14-12-2008, 07:13 PM

What the hell lol?

I get Channel 5 and I live in Wolverhampton!

awelsh
14-12-2008, 07:15 PM
What the hell lol?

I get Channel 5 and I live in Wolverhampton!

Im in Wales and get it :P

PriceTags
14-12-2008, 08:23 PM
Wrong!! Only the BBC get it, it's a well known fact that only the BBC get it, that's why BBC don't have ads!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom

I'm sorry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My bad, I was getting where the money goes and what you need to pay mixed up. Someone who said that Five carries more adverts is misinformed, because there are laws on how many adverts a channel can carry in an hour. Because it gets less viewers, more money is needed to fund it, and that's why Quiz Call is aired.

Recursion
14-12-2008, 08:25 PM
We can get Channel 5 poorly on Analouge and fairly well on Digital.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!