PDA

View Full Version : Wearing A Watch - Left Wrist Or Right Wrist

Wayne
14-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Do you wear your watch on your right or left wrist? I always wear mine on my right wrist since I'm right handed and I find it easier to see the time if I'm writing etc. My mates have theirs on their left and call me weird. :S How about you?

Lµke
14-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Do you wear your watch on your right or left wrist? I always wear mine on my right wrist since I'm right handed and I find it easier to see the time if I'm writing etc. My mates have theirs on their left and call me weird. :S How about you?

I wear mine exactly the same! My mates tried to tell me that girls wear them on the right hand and boys wear them on the left. I don't care because its what suites me that matters.

Wayne
14-12-2008, 11:38 AM
Yep, exactly Luke. :)

N!ck
14-12-2008, 11:43 AM
I think people tend to wear them on the opposite hand to which they write with. So left for most people.

I think this is because a watch can be fiddly to put on and people are usually more controlled and co-ordinated with the hand they write with, so from a young age they find it easier to put it on the opposite arm to their writing one and it then just becomes habit.

GommeInc
14-12-2008, 11:46 AM
Technically you're meant to have it on your left hand if you're right handed, because your right hand maybe engaged in something and the watch would be seen as a hazard. Wiki might have some knowledge on this.

MrGazet
14-12-2008, 11:47 AM
I wear mine exactly the same! My mates tried to tell me that girls wear them on the right hand and boys wear them on the left. I don't care because its what suites me that matters.

yeah same.wears mine on the right.just suits me.mi m8s r like ur wierd lolol

Wayne
14-12-2008, 11:48 AM
Technically you're meant to have it on your left hand if you're right handed, because your right hand maybe engaged in something and the watch would be seen as a hazard. Wiki might have some knowledge on this.

I can see what you mean, but it's just comfy on my right wrist.

GommeInc
14-12-2008, 11:49 AM
Indeed, it's whatever makes you feel comfortable really. You don't have to follow unwritten rules if you don't want to :P

Wayne
14-12-2008, 11:51 AM
:) So you wear it on the left then Gomme?

Moh
14-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Its best to put it on the hand you don't write with. As its awkward having a watch weighing you hand down as you write. Also easier to put it on with your right hand :)

Men tend to have there watch on there left hand, and women on there right.

N!ck
14-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I've just been doing some Googleing. You used to have to wind watches up, it was easiest to use your more dominant hand to do this therefore you wore it on the opposite wrist to your dominant one.

Edit: This point is incorrect. Another answer is the ring finger is on the right hand, so people wear their watch on the left to balance the jewellery out.

An answer similar to mine which someone posted somewhere else is: "If you are right handed, it is easier to work with your right hand. The hand you wear it on doesn't do any work putting the watch on. It's not hard to see that people use their dominant hand (usually right) to put their watch on (put it on their non-dominant hand)."

Maybe we're analysing this to much :S.

Wayne
14-12-2008, 11:55 AM
I thought the ring finger was on the left?

Browney
Ive got scars on my left wrist so a watch conviniently hides 'em. :eusa_danc

Moh
I've just been doing some Googleing. You used to have to wind watches up, it was easiest to use your more dominant hand to do this therefore you wore it on the opposite wrist to your dominant one.

Another answer is the ring finger is on the right hand, so people wear their watch on the left to balance the jewellery out.

An answer similar to mine which someone posted somewhere else is: "If you are right handed, it is easier to work with your right hand. The hand you wear it on doesn't do any work putting the watch on. It's not hard to see that people use their dominant hand (usually right) to put their watch on (put it on their non-dominant hand)."
Alot of women also wear bracelets on there left hand, which could be to also balance the jewellery out?

N!ck
14-12-2008, 11:57 AM
I thought the ring finger was on the left?

That's a good point lol. I was only interpreting something else i read.

Wayne
14-12-2008, 11:59 AM
That's a good point lol. I was only interpreting something else i read.

Yeah, I'm not criticizing you, just saying. :P Your research does make sense though. :D

MissAlice
14-12-2008, 12:11 PM

I think that's very true. Imagine being right handed and trying to use the winder with your left hand whilst your watch is your on right hand wrist, not an easy task. The winder I believe was always on the right. Therefore I do think the watch is probably worn by most on the opposite wrist to the more dominant one.

I'm right handed, always wear my watch on my left wrist.

Rings? Wedding, engagement rings are always worn on the left hand! It's traditional.

camera
14-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Left :D
i dont use it on right hand because i dont want it to get in my way.
anyways i dont like wearing watches coz it hurts my wrist. all watches r too loose for me

Geraint
14-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I wear mine on my right hand and I'm right handed. Doesn't get in my way.

Jordy
14-12-2008, 12:52 PM
I've always worn watches on my Left Wrist, I wouldn't quite say it's a phobia but it does annoy me when men wear watches on their right wrist.

MrGazet
14-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Ive got scars on my left wrist so a watch conviniently hides 'em. :eusa_danc

aha nice idea :))

AlexOC
14-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Hmm.

I was shocked when i saw left wrist or right wrist.

:o

CJW93
14-12-2008, 02:34 PM
I don't wear watches. But anyone remember those rubbery bands that everyone went crazy about and had at least 50 of them? Well I had them on my right hand, so apparently that made me "weird" but it doesn't feel right on the left wrist.

buttons
14-12-2008, 02:37 PM
right wrist + i'm left handed. feels funny if i put it on left, just don't feel right.

MJJ
14-12-2008, 02:48 PM
I always wear my watch on my left hand & I'm right handed.

Breakfloor
14-12-2008, 03:00 PM
because of a wrist condition i can wear nothing on my right wrist.

Cypher-
14-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Pointless conversation to be honest, Its liking asking which hands you use to hold your knives and forks.

Herman
14-12-2008, 03:05 PM
I wear it on my left.

I am right-handed. Wearing my watch on my right would make it uncomfortable for writing. It gets in the way.

Bun
14-12-2008, 03:43 PM
on my left, i'm right handed.

Wayne
14-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Pointless conversation to be honest, Its liking asking which hands you use to hold your knives and forks.

No this thread isn't pointless. I'm merely asking which wrist people have their watch on since my mates call me weird for wearing my watch on my right wrist, I just wanted to know who else has their watch on their right wrist. If you're gonna post, post which wrist you have your watch on...

Mitch4?
14-12-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't really wear watches, but when i do, or bands, or anything i mainly put them on my right hand, and im right handed. 8-]

Ostinato
15-12-2008, 02:14 PM
Women were on right tbh lol.

I'm right handed and wear mine on the left, much better. Right handed and on right is just wrong ;p

RyanDOT
15-12-2008, 07:28 PM
Men suppose to wear it on the 'non' writing hand.
Women suppose to wear it on their right hand.

But then, i don't wear watches, if i do it be for parties and i wear on my left hand.

Ramones
15-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Men suppose to wear it on the 'non' writing hand.
Women suppose to wear it on their right hand.

But then, i don't wear watches, if i do it be for parties and i wear on my left hand.

I agree!
A majority of women don't know how to write so they can wear it wherever!

15-12-2008, 09:15 PM
when i wear them i wear it on my left b/c my dad told me when iwas younger and it was on my right that it was wrong. so i was like o ok and changed it

Casual
15-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Its best to put it on the hand you don't write with. As its awkward having a watch weighing you hand down as you write. Also easier to put it on with your right hand :)

Men tend to have there watch on there left hand, and women on there right.

Nope all the women in my family wear it on their left im like the only one who wears it on their right. It doesn't seem right on my left. don't wear watches anymore though

le harry
16-12-2008, 02:15 AM
on my left, i'm right handed.
aye ditto.

DJ-Vimto
16-12-2008, 04:23 AM
well, im a lefty, and if i do wear a watch, i always wear it on my left wrist, it just feels more comfortable, though if i wear both a watch and a bracelet, the bracelet usually goes on my right wrist to balance it out a bit.

as strange as this sounds...despite being left handed, i find it much more difficult to put a watch on my right wrist.

bit off topic, but a similar thing applies to sports...if i play a sport that requires using both hands, such as cricket, softball/baseball or golf...i play it as though im right handed :S lol

leah
16-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Left cos im right handed and atleast the left will be a bit important lool

Janet Snakehole
16-12-2008, 01:33 PM
mines on my left :)

RedStratocas
16-12-2008, 08:16 PM
i wear it on the left. i dont think theres like a social rule on which wrist you wear it on, i think it's like what other people said before, you wear it on the opposite hand of which one you primarily use. cause i have a kinda big fancy watch, it might be annoying to write with it on my right hand.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!