PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch tips?

Coheed&Cambria
14-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Ill be getting one soon, So any tips in general about it?

Recursion
14-12-2008, 08:51 PM
Jailbreak ASAP. If your getting a 2G, then wait until it is Jailbroken and then Jailbreak ASAP LOL

Coheed&Cambria
14-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Jailbreak ASAP. If your getting a 2G, then wait until it is Jailbroken and then Jailbreak ASAP LOL

But what if something goes wrong, Then i cant get it fixed through apple ;[

Indie-Dan
14-12-2008, 09:43 PM
Unless you read up about jailbreaking and do it properly then it should be fine. If anything goes wrong - simple, update it. It's very rare that someone buggers one up through jailbreaking it, not like a PSP.

-Umm yeah, general tips, make sure you get a case for it, the whole thing (the back especially) gets scratched extremely easily (I mean extremely, taking it out and in of your pocket scratches it).
-When putting music on it, make sure all the songs are named correctly with the correct title, artist and album, as well as album covers. It's not mandatory, but makes browsing songs a hell of a lot easier, especially in Cover Flow.
-Don't be worried about apps taking up space - I knew someone with and 8gb iPhone who had about 8 pages of apps and lots of music, videos, photos and contacts on it.
-Make sure you download the games "Jelly Car" and "Trace", they are incredibly addictive and have saved my life through incredibly boring periods of Business Management.
-Get yourself a pair of decent earphones, the white iPod ones are good but there are better ones out there. Save the iPod ones as spares when your good ones go balls up.
-When putting album arts on songs, make sure they are of a decent size. Pictures that are too small will show up as bad quality on the Touch.
-For the love of God, make sure it isn't in your pocket when you jump into a swimming pool. I completely knackered mines up when I did this back in Egypt in July.

Hope this has helped!

Captain
14-12-2008, 09:51 PM
Im getting one in about 10 days, I hope they're not a complete letdown :\

is jailbreaking legal btw?

Indie-Dan
14-12-2008, 09:53 PM
Im getting one in about 10 days, I hope they're not a complete letdown :\

is jailbreaking legal btw?

They're definitely not a letdown. Best £280 I've ever spent, tbh, nothing's ever gone wrong with it.

Of course it is, it's your iPod, you can do whatever you want with it :)

Captain
14-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Ah I thought it was illegal since your modifying their software or w.e :P

anymore tips?

Homosexual
14-12-2008, 09:56 PM
Chromify the back.. scratches make it look naff.

Indie-Dan
14-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Ummm, trying to think of more... I'd say getting a case or Invisible Shield (http://www.zagg.com/) should be at the top of your list of priorities.

Also download the app MyRail Lite (or the full version, up to you). It's absolutely brilliant - type in any UK train station and voila, all the train arrivals and departures for the next 2 hours or so. Very handy app.

Decode
14-12-2008, 10:05 PM

Is there any estimates on how long it will take before the 2G can be jail broken, I'm getting it and I don't want to be paying apple £3 for some little app things.

Captain
14-12-2008, 10:12 PM
Also download the app MyRail Lite (or the full version, up to you). It's absolutely brilliant - type in any UK train station and voila, all the train arrivals and departures for the next 2 hours or so. Very handy app.

That should be very handy since I use the train daily. Does the screen scratch easily?

Nick.
15-12-2008, 07:27 AM
That should be very handy since I use the train daily. Does the screen scratch easily?
No it's glass, but if you get sand on it, it will scratch.

Indie-Dan
15-12-2008, 04:49 PM

Not easily but will scratch eventually as it is made of glass. Most things (keys, pennies, anything without a sharp edge) will not scratch it but things like sharp knife points will. Dropping it will crack the glass aswell. The back however, scratches the easiest. Case is recommended!

Metric1
15-12-2008, 09:32 PM
click the home button twice to bring up the music control when your on safari!

15-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Not easily but will scratch eventually as it is made of glass. Most things (keys, pennies, anything without a sharp edge) will not scratch it but things like sharp knife points will. Dropping it will crack the glass aswell. The back however, scratches the easiest. Case is recommended!
not true.
someone at my school ran a knife down the screen of his iphone and no scratch

Coheed&Cambria
16-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Thanks alot everyone.

But say i dident get a case ( I proberbly wont) and my screen scratches, after i jailbreak it..

Doesent it void the warrenty..?

Indie-Dan
16-12-2008, 04:35 PM
not true.
someone at my school ran a knife down the screen of his iphone and no scratch

I'm talking about very very sharp points here, my mate had a ring with a broken sharp edge on it and he ran it down the screen of his Touch by mistake and a huge scratch appeared on it. I mean, it will only really scratch if a) you have a sharp enough edge b) you press hard enough.

But say i dident get a case ( I proberbly wont) and my screen scratches, after i jailbreak it..

No. If the screen scratches, it will almost definitely still work, the glass on the front is very tough and any scratches on it would be merely cosmetic (a particularly large girl in my year sat on her Touch and huge cracks appeared on the screen, thing still works perfectly though!).
However, if you are going to take it back to Apple for whatever reason, make sure that the jailbreak is taken off. I'm not 100% sure if they would say anything but I would take it off, just incase. Warranty will only really be void for things like water damage.

Homosexual
16-12-2008, 05:00 PM
Jailbreaking voids your warranty.

Josh-H
16-12-2008, 05:05 PM
I'd get a dock and a nice case for it :)

Jackbee
16-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Get a nice case :P

Nick.
16-12-2008, 05:49 PM
Thanks alot everyone.

Well either way a scratch on the screen would not warrant a replacement as the warranty covers any manufacturing faults, not accidents by the user.

Jailbreaking voids warranty, yes, but tbh if anything were to go wrong with your iPod, say it wouldn't turn on, they would replace it there and then in the Apple store and send that off to be refurbed and if it broke but could turn on, you could restore it anyway so it doesn't matter.

RedStratocas
16-12-2008, 06:10 PM
i havent jailbroken my ipod touch yet. i just havent seen the need, really. dont need to

tipz:
1. if you stay on the internet for a long time/go to a lot of pages quickly, it might freeze. like pretty much all ipods, the only way to fix it is to plug it in.
2. get a protective screen, without question. a good one, too. i have one, i wish i remembered what brand it is, but it's awesome. its so smooth and never smudges. it feels even better to use than when i didnt have a screen at all.

Bruce
18-12-2008, 06:06 PM
What you have to do is make sure you don't plug your Ipod into two computors, your music will be deleted!

19-12-2008, 02:11 AM
dont be afraid to spend a little on a case and screen protector becuase in the long run it protects your expensive toy

Indie-Dan
19-12-2008, 01:06 PM
What you have to do is make sure you don't plug your Ipod into two computors, your music will be deleted!

That's only if your iPod is set up to automatically sync with whatever iTunes library it's connected with. You can turn this off by ticking the "Manually manage music and videos" box.

lolwut
20-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Just make sure you keep it in a case. The incase Slider would be good, or the Invisible Shield.

And yeah you could jailbreak it, but it does void your warranty because it violated the EULA you agreed to when you turned it on the first time.
However, I had a 1st generation jailbreak'd iPod touch which got a broken headphone jack. All I had to do was restore it to original settings and the Apple Genius who gave me another one, didn't have a clue :P
But that was 6 months ago, they could (and probably do) have a way to detect if your iPod is/was jailbroken.

Nick.
20-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Just make sure you keep it in a case. The incase Slider would be good, or the Invisible Shield.

And yeah you could jailbreak it, but it does void your warranty because it violated the EULA you agreed to when you turned it on the first time.
However, I had a 1st generation jailbreak'd iPod touch which got a broken headphone jack. All I had to do was restore it to original settings and the Apple Genius who gave me another one, didn't have a clue :P
But that was 6 months ago, they could (and probably do) have a way to detect if your iPod is/was jailbroken.
No they don't. Once they see the broken piece of hardware on it, they give you a new one. They don't plug it in and dig deep into it's file directories for stuff left behind from a jailbreak :P lol.

Ostinato
20-12-2008, 11:34 AM
Like said, defo a cover!

Captain
23-12-2008, 11:34 PM
Anyone know any cheap but good covers?

Nick.
24-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Anyone know any cheap but good covers?
I got a good one on Amazon for about £4 that also acted as a mirror (when the screen was off, but when the screen was on you didn't even notice it) it was really cool.

Trinity
24-12-2008, 11:07 PM
I got a good one on Amazon for about £4 that also acted as a mirror (when the screen was off, but when the screen was on you didn't even notice it) it was really cool.

Got a link to that? It'll save me searching, it sounds rather useful :)

Nick.
25-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Got a link to that? It'll save me searching, it sounds rather useful :)
save you typing ipod touch mirror into Amazon?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/U-Bop-DefenderGUARD-Screen-Protection-Application/dp/B0019WDO88/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1230194576&sr=8-3 :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!