PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media annouce 50MB internet - £51/mo!

MasterFM
15-12-2008, 04:48 PM
Virgin unveils next-gen broadband

Virgin Media's boss talks to the BBC

Virgin Media has launched its new 50 Megabits per second (Mbps) domestic broadband service.
It doing so it will be the first UK ISP to roll out a next generation broadband service that runs far faster than most others available to UK web users.
The new 50 Mbps service will cost £51 a month, although this is reduced to £35 if users also take a Virgin Phone line for an additional £11 a month.
The service will put Virgin at the top of the speed league for UK ISPs.
Close behind is Be Broadband which offers at 24Mbps service for £17.50 per month.
The details of the service were released during a press conference on 15 December. Trials of the high-speed service were carried out in Kent during 2008.
The service will be rolled out country-wide over the next six months.
The news comes as the cable group announces that it will cut 2,200 jobs by 2012.
Rival competition
BT has announced that Muswell Hill, in London, and Whitchurch, in Cardiff, will be the first pilot sites for its fibre-based broadband trial, which will begin in the summer of 2009.
Up to 15,000 homes and businesses will get the chance to take part in a trial of fibre to the cabinet technology which can deliver speeds of up to 40Mbps.
It has said it will invest £1.5bn in laying fibre as far as its street cabinets. The connection from the street cabinet to peoples' homes will rely on copper lines.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/45286000/gif/_45286374__44267904_broadband_launch_203-1.gif
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/inline_dashed_line.gif

What will deliver next-generation broadband? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7116596.stm)
Rural areas see jump in broadband (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7783538.stm)

Charlie Ponsonby at comparison site Simplify Digital said higher speeds would drive changes in the way people use the web.
"As we see an increasing blur between the TV set and the PC, with on-demand content flowing seamlessly between the two, people's appetite for broadband speed will head rapidly upwards," he said.
"Today's average of about 2 Mbps will soon seem as inadequate as a 56 Kbps dialup connection already seems to the great majority of web users," he added.
Not everyone is convinced that the cable modem technology on offer from Virgin Media will be enough to satisfy speed-hungry consumers.
The president of the Fibre to the Home Council of Europe, Joeri Van Bogaert, said: "Cable modem can be complementary to fibre to the home (FTTH) but is in no way a substitute," he said.
"The main issue is speed. While FTTH can easily deliver speeds of up to 100Mbps and could eventually pump out 1000Mbps, Virgin's service offers 50Mbps and is asymmetric.
"This means that uploading content will be much slower than download speeds."

SOURCE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7776139.stm

AlexOC
15-12-2008, 04:50 PM
-Gasp-

I will defo upgrade from 20MB to this.

Recursion
15-12-2008, 05:31 PM
LMAO. I think Virgin should sort their real problems out rather than making things worse IMO.

Source
15-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Well considering their service has been outstanding for me, I can't wait to upgrade - although we get it for free ;)

Technologic
15-12-2008, 05:32 PM
PFFFT £51 a month

service is v good for me but still, im happy with my 20mbps

Stephen!
15-12-2008, 07:55 PM
Oh great *orders*.

xxMATTGxx
15-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Not had any problems with Virgin Media on the 20mb package, shame I won't be upgrading to this soon :(

Janet Snakehole
15-12-2008, 08:06 PM
pffttttttt virgin media have treated me awful :|
changing to another isp in april when my contract terminates

they can shove their 50mb internet up their.... :)

N!ck
15-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Wonder what the contention ratios will be like and how quick the upload will be though :S.

Calon
15-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Not had any problems with Virgin Media on the 20mb package, shame I won't be upgrading to this soon :(
"LOL LMAO LOL LMAO LOL LMAO LOL LMAO COUGHSNEEZE *******" and started dancing.

Snex
15-12-2008, 08:41 PM
Waste of money if you ask me there is no need for 50mb/s for a long time yet and VM always have rubbish concentration ratios so it'll be nowhere near that.

Recursion
15-12-2008, 08:50 PM
In Japan they have 100mbp/s connections + as standard.

AlexOC
15-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Hehe

I will get upgraded free.

I wont have to pay more, cos ive been with V for ages and have all there services, they do a veery good loyalty deal.

Jackboy
15-12-2008, 09:02 PM

In Japan they also play games all day and don't go out and eat noodles.

Nuff said?

xxMATTGxx
15-12-2008, 09:05 PM

I'm not surprised to be honest..

MasterFM
15-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Hehe
I will get upgraded free.
I wont have to pay more, cos ive been with V for ages and have all there services, they do a veery good loyalty deal.

I've been with them for 3 years and their loyalty to us has been diabolical.
Though, 20mb download & 750kb/s upload, they need to sort that out first

Recursion
15-12-2008, 09:15 PM

Nuff said?

Sushi actually.

Neil
15-12-2008, 11:12 PM

Nuff said?

So you're saying that the whole of Japan play games all day and eat noodles?
So who makes the noodles? Who makes the games?
I think you may want to think about what you say before you say something like that, sarcasm or not, either way it's a stupid thing to say.

I've been with them for 3 years and their loyalty to us has been diabolical.
Though, 20mb download & 750kb/s upload, they need to sort that out first

That's just you then? I've been with them since it was NTL, always been with NTL/Virgin and there has never been problems, was upgraded to 20Mb for free, I don't think we'll be getting 50Mb since I'm pretty certain they're using fibre optic cables for it. xD

MasterFM
16-12-2008, 12:09 AM
So you're saying that the whole of Japan play games all day and eat noodles?
So who makes the noodles? Who makes the games?
I think you may want to think about what you say before you say something like that, sarcasm or not, either way it's a stupid thing to say.

That's just you then? I've been with them since it was NTL, always been with NTL/Virgin and there has never been problems, was upgraded to 20Mb for free, I don't think we'll be getting 50Mb since I'm pretty certain they're using fibre optic cables for it. xD

Are you stupid or somthing?
1: 3 Years makes me a previous NTL customer
2: Since you got internets from NTL, that puts you on cable to.

Get your head out your a5s you fool

le harry
16-12-2008, 06:24 AM
I've got 2mb ^_^.

:job2
16-12-2008, 07:32 AM
Times like this when I really do hate living on a small island in the south of the UK :(

We are always last to get stuff like this

The maximum for the island is 8mb and im pretty sure there are only 2 suppliers, BT and TalkTalk, you can go with other people but they just use reseller accounts through BT

Agnostic Bear
16-12-2008, 07:42 AM
I AM VERY ANNOYED I CAN'T GET THIS IN MY AREA YET ROLLOUT IN PETERBOROUGH HURRY UP I AM WAITING.

Jahova
16-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Whitchurch, in Cardiff will be the first pilot sites.
****, I only live 1/2 a mile from there, I bet it won't come here!

Agnostic Bear
16-12-2008, 04:32 PM
****, I only live 1/2 a mile from there, I bet it won't come here!

You're half a mile away, look out your house every so often for bt vans & roadworks, if you see them fibre is coming to your area.

AgnesIO
16-12-2008, 04:44 PM

Nuff said?

That is really unfair. Someone has to make the games for them to play. Japan is just like anyone else.

Your nice :rolleyes:

MasterFM
16-12-2008, 04:52 PM
Your nice :rolleyes:

To be fair, he did ask for it rly thinking hes smart when he didnt know **** :rolleyes:

AgnesIO
16-12-2008, 04:58 PM
To be fair, he did ask for it rly thinking hes smart when he didnt know **** :rolleyes:

To be fair he didnt 'ask for it'

You were just plain rude.

Neil
17-12-2008, 10:52 PM

Who the hell said you wasn't a previous NTL customer? I only said maybe it's just your connection, maybe it's you that's stupid.

I never said I was smart? You just assumed, you are the one asking for "it" at the moment, you don't know what you're talking about obviously so maybe you should ignore the reply buttons and go away.

To be fair he didnt 'ask for it'

You were just plain rude.

"That time of the month" maybe.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!