PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 7

Samishlol
16-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Apperently i've been told that a security issue has been found on Internet Explorer which allows people to hack your computer.

Not sure whether it's true or not.

tm
16-12-2008, 12:29 PM
It is 100% true!

There is a serious vunerability. In fact it's so serious that Microsoft are advising people to SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT BROWSER!

See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7784908.stm

Samishlol
16-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Omg! Thank **** i'm using Firefox atm

Recursion
16-12-2008, 01:06 PM
It is 100% true!

There is a serious vunerability. In fact it's so serious that Microsoft are advising people to SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT BROWSER!

MS aren't advising they move to another browser, security experts are :rolleyes:

Samishlol
16-12-2008, 02:20 PM
MS aren't advising they move to another browser, security experts are :rolleyes:Microsoft aren't stopping them though..

Recursion
16-12-2008, 02:24 PM
They are creating a patch for it.q

Samishlol
16-12-2008, 02:28 PM
I know that lol.

DaveTaylor
16-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Old news, amazing how it took them to actually report it...

scottish
16-12-2008, 02:51 PM
MICROSOFT SECURITY ADVICE
Change IE security settings to high (Look under Tools/Internet Options)
Switch to a Windows user account with limited rights to change a PC's settings
With IE7 or 8 on Vista turn on Protected Mode
Ensure your PC is updated
Keep anti-virus and anti-spyware software up to date

iUnknown
16-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Microsoft obviously can't tell their users to use a rival's software, so they say that their experts are tellingu sers to use a rival's software (clearly they are backing this, but cannot publicly say so).

Decode
16-12-2008, 05:10 PM
It is 100% true!

I can't take you seriously because you have a Habbo avatar.

You can stick with IE if you wan't to, as the exploit can only happen if you visit a bad site. I'd recommend turning javascript off though.

HotelUser
16-12-2008, 08:28 PM
I can't take you seriously because you have a Habbo avatar.

You can stick with IE if you wan't to, as the exploit can only happen if you visit a bad site. I'd recommend turning javascript off though.

Turning off Javascript is going to a lot of trouble just to use a terrible browser.

Implement
17-12-2008, 04:18 PM
There has already been an "emergency" patch that's been distributed via Automatic Update.

Decode
17-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Turning off Javascript is going to a lot of trouble just to use a terrible browser.

I know its a terrible browser, but the people who use it will be safe if they turn it off.

Geraint
17-12-2008, 06:00 PM
There has already been an "emergency" patch that's been distributed via Automatic Update.

is that what the update was, yeah?

HotelUser
17-12-2008, 07:00 PM
I know its a terrible browser, but the people who use it will be safe if they turn it off.

True...though I'd like to know the justification the IE users give for going to all that trouble:P.

BeanEgg
17-12-2008, 07:03 PM
They have said only 1million users have been effected globally.

Experts have said to use other browsers "such as FireFox or Safari".

They have also stated that they are working round the clock to get this resolved.

HotelUser
18-12-2008, 12:00 PM
They have said only 1million users have been effected globally.

Experts have said to use other browsers "such as FireFox or Safari".

They have also stated that they are working round the clock to get this resolved.

I guess if users are hacked it's their own fault for using such a bad browser:P.

Blinger1
18-12-2008, 12:14 PM
When you make a better browser that is popular,THEN you can start dissing the **** to I.E, okay?

HotelUser
18-12-2008, 04:07 PM
When you make a better browser that is popular,THEN you can start dissing the **** to I.E, okay?

Popularity is irrelevant. Users use IE because it comes with their Windows installation and they don't bother switching. Firefox is superior to Internet Explorer. Security wise and speed/rendering wise. I wont make my own browser thanks. I have Firefox ;).

Samishlol
18-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Internet Explorer isn't that crap. If it crashs you must be doing too many things on your computer at once. Internet explorer does open other applications too such as micrsoft word.

Ashhizzle
18-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Patch/update has been released. Just downloaded it :)

Wasn't really bothered about this risk though :)

nothing of real value on here lol

@ Hoteluser, We get the message, you dont like IE. You dont have to slate it in EVERY post.

Blinger1
18-12-2008, 10:52 PM
Popularity is irrelevant. Users use IE because it comes with their Windows installation and they don't bother switching. Firefox is superior to Internet Explorer. Security wise and speed/rendering wise. I wont make my own browser thanks. I have Firefox ;).
Don't dissing Internet Explorer then. Nobody really cares and its old (dissing it).

HotelUser
18-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Don't dissing Internet Explorer then. Nobody really cares and its old (dissing it).

I'll "dissing" it whenever I want, thanks ;).

Blinger1
18-12-2008, 11:00 PM
I suppose you are safe if you use Apple's default browser, Safari.. Its such a resource hog you'd be lucky to even view the start-up page before you get frustrated and quit browsing with it :rolleyes:

HotelUser
18-12-2008, 11:17 PM
I suppose you are safe if you use Apple's default browser, Safari.. Its such a resource hog you'd be lucky to even view the start-up page before you get frustrated and quit browsing with it :rolleyes:

Not only have I not had a problem with Safari, but I use Firefox.

Just because I use MacOS doesn't mean I despise Windows and never use it. Just because I do use MacOS doesn't mean I use Safari. You assume too much.

InsanelyOdd
18-12-2008, 11:20 PM
This is very interesting. Well done, tm, for providing more information. I wouldn't have believed this at first.

Samishlol
20-12-2008, 11:26 AM
They have released a patched verison of Internet Explorer now.

scottish
20-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Patch/update has been released. Just downloaded it :)

Wasn't really bothered about this risk though :)

nothing of real value on here lol

@ Hoteluser, We get the message, you dont like IE. You dont have to slate it in EVERY post.

^^ already posted

and david, i don't use ie because it comes with windows, cause i have firefox aswell but i like IE more as i'm more used to it and its better looking

HotelUser
20-12-2008, 03:03 PM
^^ already posted

and david, i don't use ie because it comes with windows, cause i have firefox aswell but i like IE more as i'm more used to it and its better looking

Suit yourself (Firefox can be skinned though).

Nick.
21-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Microsoft aren't stopping them though..
LOL! They have no right or power to stop them :S

It is 100% true!

LOL at the exaggerating and use of caps lock.

IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD OMG!!!

HotelUser
21-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Internet Explorer isn't that crap. If it crashs you must be doing too many things on your computer at once. Internet explorer does open other applications too such as micrsoft word.

It's pretty obvious I don't like Internet Explorer:P, but I cannot see any advantages of IE compared to Firefox really.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!