PDA

View Full Version : .Org Directories?

Dudey!
16-12-2008, 06:23 PM
Are .org directories better than other .com or .co.uk directories?

inVe
16-12-2008, 06:41 PM
.Orgs are for organisations.
.Coms are for companies.

Calon
16-12-2008, 07:05 PM
.Orgs are for organisations.
.Coms are for companies.
.com (commercial)

.org (organization)

Government use .gov (UK Government use .gov.uk)

Same with .org, UK organization's tend to use .org.uk and American use just .org

inVe
16-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Commerical - Registerred Companies
Organisations - Non Registerred. (Also Charity groups use org.uk :) )

I do know Calon. It's more simple and helpful to the original poster, that .com is for companies, who aim to have a substantial income based product.

While Organisations do not.

Dudey!
16-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Yes, i know that. (+REP)

But some people prefer to submit their sites to .org directories, i was wondering if there was a specific reason?

Calon
16-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Yes, i know that. (+REP)

But some people prefer to submit their sites to .org directories, i was wondering if there was a specific reason?
It isn't called a directory - it's called a TLD.

Homosexual
16-12-2008, 07:22 PM
because of dmoz.org

inVe
16-12-2008, 07:23 PM
It isn't called a directory - it's called a TLD.

Actually no. That's the domain.
The directory is the site profile. ;)

Public_HTMl Directory etc.

Calon
16-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Actually no. That's the domain.
The directory is the site profile. ;)

Public_HTMl Directory etc.
What the ****

inVe
16-12-2008, 07:29 PM
What the ****

When people go to a hosted .com, they will view the uploaded files in the Public_HTML directory. I thought that was obvious.

I was trying to state, he is using the correct terminology, and your attempt at correcting him was fail.

Calon
16-12-2008, 07:33 PM
When people go to a hosted .com, they will view the uploaded files in the Public_HTML directory. I thought that was obvious.

I was trying to state, he is using the correct terminology, and your attempt at correcting him was fail.
False actually, not all websites run from a directory like that.

inVe
16-12-2008, 07:35 PM
False actually, not all websites run from a directory like that.

Hmm, fair enough. My point still stands :).

RichardKnox
16-12-2008, 08:58 PM
And both of you do realise he is on about website directories? Where websites are listed, like the phone directory...

Calon
16-12-2008, 08:59 PM
And both of you do realise he is on about website directories? Where websites are listed, like the phone directory...
Meh, I realise now.

Fehm
16-12-2008, 09:10 PM

You neednt of used more words than that.... Its his way of spelling Personality

And i dont understand what you mean but Calon's going on about Domains not directories xD

inVe
16-12-2008, 09:33 PM
You neednt of used more words than that.... Its his way of spelling Personality

And i dont understand what you mean but Calon's going on about Domains not directories xD

The OP said Directory, and Calon babbled on about TLDs.

Luke
17-12-2008, 08:10 AM
The OP said Directory, and Calon babbled on about TLDs.

you said about the Public_HTMl folder, the OP has more to do with domains than that.

I don't understand what you're trying to say, do you want to know if a .org is better than a .co.uk (or vice versa) or do you want to know some website directorys such as

http://www.thefreewebsitedirectory.co.uk/

Luke

inVe
17-12-2008, 08:27 AM
When you visit a hosted website, you most likely view the hosted files on the Public_HMTL directory or WWW.

Dudey!
17-12-2008, 02:11 PM
Okay, some webmasters, when submitting their own websites to directories only submit to directories that end with .ORG. Now, i was wondering if there was a reason for this, are they better ranked in terms of SEO? or PR? or is it just personal preference?

Luke
17-12-2008, 03:54 PM
When you visit a hosted website, you most likely view the hosted files on the Public_HMTL directory or WWW.
yes but that has nothing to do with what the thread is about, yes it is most likley but still..

Okay, some webmasters, when submitting their own websites to directories only submit to directories that end with .ORG. Now, i was wondering if there was a reason for this, are they better ranked in terms of SEO? or PR? or is it just personal preference?

Hmm, it usually falls under what the website is about, it may just be because there website is an organisation, or it may be because of personal preference.
In my opinion it doesn't realy matter, and i don't think they do it because .org is a popular TLD

tm
17-12-2008, 04:05 PM
.org/net/com etc are Top Level Domains
.co.uk/ca/org.uk are lesser and are classed as regional domains.

Org is fairly cool. I have one but only because what I was after with any other domain was taken.

RichardKnox
17-12-2008, 08:54 PM
AFAIK the .org doesn't really matter for directories.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!