PDA

View Full Version : (+13rep) NEW laptop running slow?! =s

Ostinato
17-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Hiya.

Basically I got a laptop like 3 months ago for uni. As I am at uni I decided to try and futureproof and got one with some good specs. So I have a big harddtrive, 3gb ram and all the rest of it lol.

However, it has always been going great but I must admit I am pretty dissapointed with the performance over the past month or so. But at the moment, it's a bit of a peak.

It keeps just running really slow and freezing and stuff. The main problem I keep getting is when I am just browsing the net the whole browser stops responding and just freezes. Is it likely this is just an IE problem?
Also, the past week I've noticed that when I was right clicking the options where whitened out and didn't actually show until I scrolled over them.

I mean this is a problem I used to have on my blimming 128mb ram computer in like 2001 lol.

It's just a bit annoying how I paid a hell of a lot of money for a laptop I thought would last me a good 4 years or so, and after 4 months it's going quite slow.

It's not even like I have millions of files on it either. I have about 800 songs and a few folders of pictures and stuff, but nothing major.

My old computer lasted me like 4 years with 1gb ram and even smaller hd so why is this happening?

Lol sorry for the rant, but I also run norton antivirus, internet security and windows defender and it's not giving me any virus or anything like that.

For good help I will give +rep thanks.

Kevin
17-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Hiya.

Basically I got a laptop like 3 months ago for uni. As I am at uni I decided to try and futureproof and got one with some good specs. So I have a big harddtrive, 3gb ram and all the rest of it lol.

However, it has always been going great but I must admit I am pretty dissapointed with the performance over the past month or so. But at the moment, it's a bit of a peak.

It keeps just running really slow and freezing and stuff. The main problem I keep getting is when I am just browsing the net the whole browser stops responding and just freezes. Is it likely this is just an IE problem?
Also, the past week I've noticed that when I was right clicking the options where whitened out and didn't actually show until I scrolled over them.

I mean this is a problem I used to have on my blimming 128mb ram computer in like 2001 lol.

It's just a bit annoying how I paid a hell of a lot of money for a laptop I thought would last me a good 4 years or so, and after 4 months it's going quite slow.

It's not even like I have millions of files on it either. I have about 800 songs and a few folders of pictures and stuff, but nothing major.

My old computer lasted me like 4 years with 1gb ram and even smaller hd so why is this happening?

Lol sorry for the rant, but I also run norton antivirus, internet security and windows defender and it's not giving me any virus or anything like that.

For good help I will give +rep thanks.

What model laptop is it? I think i know what's wrong and BTW Norton antivirus can also slow down your computer, it's a really desperate anti virus

Ostinato
17-12-2008, 03:01 PM
Oooh well norton came with it so I just used that, but my subscriptions just ran out so I think I will remove it anyway.

Erm it's a toshiba satelite somethink or other...

Kevin
17-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Oooh well norton came with it so I just used that, but my subscriptions just ran out so I think I will remove it anyway.

It could be a virus, since your subscription has just ran out, your not protected fully.

If you want me to sort out NOD32 for you, PM me

Affreux
17-12-2008, 03:54 PM
I have the same problem but normally i just run it off the charger as when im just using my battery its fairly slow - may not help but it works for me

BeanEgg
17-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Try defraging it.

Also, disable start-up programs to speed up.

Start Menu > Search: msconfig > Start Up Tab > Disable all (Then restart)

Also, go to Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean Up

This should work. :)

Ostinato
17-12-2008, 04:18 PM
No I don't think it is a virus.

Oh my I have just went into that ms config startup thing and I Have blimming loads...

I'll get a screenie. Also I don't think defrag will do much as, as I say, I haven't had it long so haven't delete a great deal of files or whatever to make up a use of fragmented space.

EDIT: OMG LOL, THERE IS SO MUCH STUFF IN THAT STARTUP BIT LOL. COULD THIS BE THE PROB?! WHAT CAN I KEEP AND WHAT CAN I DISABLE? I HAD TO TAKE THE SCREENSHOT IN 3 BITS BCOS THER WOS SO MUCH.

BeanEgg
17-12-2008, 04:24 PM
All.

But not your firewall, or real-time protection softwares.

You can manually do the rest by starting them.

My PC's got more. :( LOL

efq
17-12-2008, 04:25 PM
IE7 froze on my laptop all the time, I tried FF and I have no problems, and with the latest news, IE7 has a security leak in it so use FF or Opera whilst its being fixed

Ostinato
17-12-2008, 04:27 PM
Yeh I think I might just go back to firefox tbh. That was my main browser in my old computer but I ended up just getting back into IE on this one.

If I disable some of them I am disabling the operating system and stuff...

BeanEgg
17-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeh I think I might just go back to firefox tbh. That was my main browser in my old computer but I ended up just getting back into IE on this one.

If I disable some of them I am disabling the operating system and stuff...

Nope.

Only programs you have installed.

To disable OS applications, do the same thing but hit the 'Service' tab.

efq
17-12-2008, 04:29 PM
Download and run CCleaner too.

Ostinato
17-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Okay well I have disabled the majority anyway.

Any other suggestions?

I will keep those disabled, I will go back to firefox and I will uninstall norton. Any recommendations as to what i install in it's place?

Any other tips either?

Implement
17-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Your problem my friend, is your Anti-Virus, it hogs your ram and slows down your computer MASSIVELY. And also takes up a lot of HD memory for an Anti-Virus.

This will fix your pc and restore it to full performance (hopefully, also some of this stuff has already been mentioned)

1.) download CCleaner.
2.) run registry scan, fix all issues.
3.) Delete all startup processes via CCleaner, if you're unsure of what some are,then simply google them to see what they do.
4) run defrag, you may not think you have much, but trust me, you probably have more junk than you think.
5.) uninstall Norton and all programs related to norton.
6.) Find a download for a cracked version of Eset Smart Security (NOD32) and install it and set it up with the crack which will make your copy of NOD32 legit(kind of) - if you need a link of which to download this then don't hesitate to ask.

If you follow all these steps your PC will boot 5x faster, and your all around PC performance will be a heck of a lot more faster, and enjoyable.

Implement
17-12-2008, 05:37 PM
http://rapidshare.com/files/168709456/EAV.x86.WZ_Demonik.rar

ESET Smart Security download link, enjoy! :)

- If you don't trust my link, go here; http://www.warez-bb.org/viewtopic.php?t=1876098&highlight=

:)

Ostinato
17-12-2008, 05:40 PM
Oooh cool, thanks very much.

Got CC doing it's stuff atm.

What is this antivirus thing? That's 2 of you in this thread mentioned it... is it actually decent then?

Implement
17-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Best AV around at the mo, it has to be. Does everything in the background, doesn't lag you or anything.

With Norton you probably thought that you weren't lagging, and that is was great, but when you actually install and use ESET for a day or two, you see the difference.

Ostinato
17-12-2008, 05:51 PM
Okay it's uninstaling norton atm and I will give it a go.

That link doesnt work though but I will try and get it somewhere else, no bother. thanks

BeanEgg
17-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Glad we were of hand. :)

Implement
17-12-2008, 05:53 PM
Sorry for the messed up links, you should be able to find the business addition on any torrent/warez site about. :)

Ostinato
17-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Okay I have done everything and basically swithced to firefox again to see if that helps, as IE is pretty unreliable I've noticed.

I am just in the middle of downloading that antivirus so we will see how it goes. thanks again

Implement
17-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Ostinato, could you please approve my posts as i'm stuck on this 15 post thing, plus I have helped you quite alot :)

On topic; glad I could be of help to you.

Recursion
18-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I had that problem, a format always fixes things! :D

E-business
18-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Try defraging it.

Also, disable start-up programs to speed up.

Start Menu > Search: msconfig > Start Up Tab > Disable all (Then restart)

Also, go to Start > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Clean Up

This should work. :)

That takes so long, and most of the time it doesn't work.

Do you have a lot of information on it? If you don't, you could reformat it and after that, if it's still slow, you'll know it's probably just Vista not liking your laptop which happens in several circumstances.

Implement
19-12-2008, 01:43 PM
Just out of curiosity Ostinato, how is your PC now? did our advice help?

Calon
20-12-2008, 02:35 AM
Remove the iTunes things for a start - "MobileMe" and "Quicktime" and open them when you need them.

As BeanEgg said, defragmenting would be a good idea, also if you have a lot of games, uninstall them. That's an obvious reason for your computer to be slow.

Ostinato
22-12-2008, 12:34 AM
I really must admit it is so much faster already.

It's loading up much faster already and performing more like I expected. Had no errors or unresponding since.

Thank you all :-)

You
22-12-2008, 12:35 PM
You're welcome.

Fart
22-12-2008, 01:44 PM
Sets to speed up.

Downgrade to windows xp, Windows vista can take up alot of ram because it addes processes to the list that necassery doesnt need to be on there.

Recommend: Get NOD32. Its a good powerfull anti virus which doesnt require much ram and is very fast.

Using msn?
Get Miranda IM, Multimessenger with no top notch interface, non of the features of msn which you might not use, So when your on msn it wont effect computer

Try not to keep files in C:\ e.g. My Documents, as it tends to take up physical memory.

I wouldnt use firefox, it can have something upto 300k in use-age which lagged the living death out my laptop and desktop, Use IE but get a decent popup blocker :)

Run disc frag In the night to keep the system fresh.

Try to get PORTABLE applications e.g. Photoshop and whatever you need.
This will save some space and can easily be moved from one hard drive to another. Saving time and space!

Delete /Temp/ Files under Windows because this stores EVERYTHING you have opened and keeps it in there even though its saved somewhere else which also takes up space which could make the physical memory low.

Keep computer upto date :)

Hope this helps :]

.Zi
22-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Run a disk defrag and delete all of that startup stuff, it my not seem it but songs take alot of memory so I would have so many of those. Also, use Mozilla Firefox, runs alot better. If you have to much virus software it gives you viruses, I had that problem, only have 1, 2 if you think it apsolutely neccisary (I cant spell) Pictures arn't to bad but they do slow it down if you have LODS. My sister has about 100,000 pictures and her computer is mucked up, but she has half of LimeWire's content on here computer aswell :P

Hope this helped ;)

Jord
23-12-2008, 02:12 PM

Download AVG the free one Ive had that for years and its been just fine If I do get a virus or anything it pops up and heals in an instant really good.

Flisker
26-12-2008, 03:09 AM
Sets to speed up.

Downgrade to windows xp, Windows vista can take up alot of ram because it addes processes to the list that necassery doesnt need to be on there.

Recommend: Get NOD32. Its a good powerfull anti virus which doesnt require much ram and is very fast.

Using msn?
Get Miranda IM, Multimessenger with no top notch interface, non of the features of msn which you might not use, So when your on msn it wont effect computer

Try not to keep files in C:\ e.g. My Documents, as it tends to take up physical memory.

I wouldnt use firefox, it can have something upto 300k in use-age which lagged the living death out my laptop and desktop, Use IE but get a decent popup blocker :)

Run disc frag In the night to keep the system fresh.

Try to get PORTABLE applications e.g. Photoshop and whatever you need.
This will save some space and can easily be moved from one hard drive to another. Saving time and space!

Delete /Temp/ Files under Windows because this stores EVERYTHING you have opened and keeps it in there even though its saved somewhere else which also takes up space which could make the physical memory low.

Keep computer upto date :)

Hope this helps :]
NEVER EVER DOWNGRADE a Toshiba Satellite laptop, I have one and tried that it was so unstable it would just randomly freeze, crash, BSOD etc (downgraded to XP) then went back to Vista and it was fine again. Toshiba make these laptops downgrade prooft because they dont supply the drivers for the system to be stable enough.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!