PDA

View Full Version : A DS for a 5/6 year old?

Moh
17-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Well my niece asked my mum for a DS, shes currently 5, but 6 in Jan.

I know a lot of games are 3+ - but cmon, a 3 year old on a DS?

Anyways, would you say shes old enough for one?

Heinous
17-12-2008, 11:14 PM
There is essentially, nothing unhealthy about gaming at an early age. Plus the DS has a lot of educational-type games too, so probably better than other consoles.

BUT I JUST DONT SEE WHY.

Two people close to my family - one's seven, one's twenty-something. Twenty something is buying the seven year old a DS for christmas. It just begs the question why. The seven year old is getting unhealthy as it is, giving them YET ANOTHER gaming console is unpractical (they already own a gamecube & ps 2 - at seven.. plus the latest gen consoles (minus the failure ps3) in the same house).

Sigh. I hate society.

Answer? Probably. tl;dr? People are bloody morons.

AlexOC
17-12-2008, 11:17 PM
Yeh, i dont see why not, i don't think there's an age limit on it, its a bit of fun.

Kardan
17-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Yep, I remember playing on my Mega Drive when I was about 5/6.

iMegz.
17-12-2008, 11:21 PM
I don't see the problem in it. You can get many games that are easy to pick up at a younger age on the DS and some can even be educational. My younger sister got her DS when she was about 6? So I don't see why not, if the kid is going to use it on a regular basis then surely it's better than buying them loads of junk which they'll hardly ever use and which will just take up loads of space? :)

Neil
17-12-2008, 11:24 PM
I think you're all looking at the wrong thing here, I don't quite think he's looking at the fact that it's weird for kids to play games but more down to a young kid to play a console like the DS, it's a bit more confusing than any other consoles to use and the games aswell as the stylus could get ruined, lost easily, broken or even swallowed.

I think your niece should be fine though, as long as she can look after stuff and doesn't put things in her mouth. xD

Kardan
17-12-2008, 11:26 PM
I think you're all looking at the wrong thing here, I don't quite think he's looking at the fact that it's weird for kids to play games but more down to a young kid to play a console like the DS, it's a bit more confusing than any other consoles to use and the games aswell as the stylus could get ruined, lost easily, broken or even swallowed.

I think your niece should be fine though, as long as she can look after stuff and doesn't put things in her mouth. xD

Well; I don't see many 6 year olds playing on the 360 :P

I think the DS and the Wii are probably the most suitable ones for younger kids.

Casuals
17-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Take Graffiti for example kardan

drama
17-12-2008, 11:41 PM
Well; I don't see many 6 year olds playing on the 360 :P

I think the DS and the Wii are probably the most suitable ones for younger kids.
plenty of people who act that age on XBL though :P

PaulMacC
17-12-2008, 11:57 PM
My sister is getting a DS this year and she is 5.

Janet Snakehole
18-12-2008, 12:01 AM
i think they're good entertainment for a young child, so yeah :)

Dada
18-12-2008, 02:53 AM
when i was her age i had a gameboy.... basically same thing, except for fancy.

Suck
18-12-2008, 06:14 PM
If you think 5/6 is bad, we get lots of parents buying for their 3 year olds. It isn't uncommon. We once had a pram brigade in and no joke, all their kids were sitting in the prams playing DS.. was well funny.

CrazyColaist
19-12-2008, 02:36 PM
na ds's are for everyone.

You have the brain tranning games etc

just cz some fings r for 3+ doesnt mean there for like 3-6 year olds.

Oleh
20-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Well just to input - i was on gta when it first came out i think i was like 4-5 when this happened, my mums friends, children ones about 10 and ones like 8 they have a 360 and there getting a ps3 for christmas, i personally think they are silly buying the latest consoles for people under 14 why? beause they have probably not an ounce of idea what to do on the game and just jab the buttons, if they got pokemon or something along the lines of what they watch on tv then fair enough because they are easy to follow but none of them brain training games, i struggle to follow them.

Hated
22-12-2008, 11:14 PM
How cheeky a 5 year old asking her granmother for a ds she is abit greedy int she

Cryptoo
01-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Why not, sure we where playing gameboys at that age... a DS is like a latest gameboy! :P

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!