PDA

View Full Version : Factory settings

Corporal
18-12-2008, 03:41 PM
I have a Compaq laptop that i recently got back from repair and im wanting to reset it all again so i can sell it on.

Does anyone know how i can go about doing this?
It has windows vista home prem

+ rep to all that helps

thanks

Pyroka
18-12-2008, 03:49 PM
You could format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. That'd be the equivelant of a reset I guess.

Corporal
18-12-2008, 04:05 PM
You could format the hard drive and reinstall the operating system. That'd be the equivelant of a reset I guess.

Yer but I'd need a disc to that wouldnt i?

awelsh
18-12-2008, 05:25 PM
My compaq has a recovery program, go to start> all programs> system recovery> pc recovery.

Or something close to that anyway, if you cant find it then your laptop doesnt have a recovery partition. Have you got and recovery cd's?

Corporal
18-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Thanks
all sorted:)
+ rep all

scottish
18-12-2008, 07:54 PM
You should completely wipe it and use appropriate program to ensure its wiped as you don't want to sell a laptop then people recovering files and getting your personal info/passwords etc. :P

illegal
18-12-2008, 11:53 PM
You should completely wipe it and use appropriate program to ensure its wiped as you don't want to sell a laptop then people recovering files and getting your personal info/passwords etc. :P
If you reformat, then this is going to do that. Unless you "quick format" it and leave half the data still on the PC and just install over the current operatoring system and keep all your files, which is just pointless.

scottish
19-12-2008, 12:56 PM
If you refromat files are still recoverable. ;)

Implement
19-12-2008, 01:54 PM
@entrance; I think most people on this forum don't know how to do that. So what's the point in saying it lol, anyway.. best thing to do is just put all your most important stuff onto discs/memory discs/external hard drive, pop in your windows XP/Vista CD, restarted, reformat, install drivers, put your backed up stuff back onto your PC, and wala.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!