PDA

View Full Version : RAM 3gb?

Alkaz
19-12-2008, 12:52 AM
Atm I have 2 and I am on a 10mb internet connection speed, atm internet is going through my comp and then to the main comp but soon it will go to main comp then to dongel in my computer.

Would it be worth updating ram with 1bg more?? If so best place to buy?

Soy
19-12-2008, 01:05 AM
You wont really notice a huge difference in the RAM.

But maybe you could try overclocking the ram if it really bugs you.

Anyway If you do purchase ram I would reccommend www.ebuyer.com, prices are much cheaper than PC world and you have a wider selection.

Something like this would be fine http://www.ebuyer.com/product/106130

Alkaz
19-12-2008, 01:09 AM
thats not bad, paid £22 for 1gb when I brought comp, what is overclocking??

Soy
19-12-2008, 01:17 AM
Overclocking is the process of forcing a computer component to run at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for.

Though personally I've never overclocked RAM and overall It does seem rather tricky.
But you should give it a try.

Alkaz
19-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Mmm if another GB ram would do it I think it would be alot easier for me to do that, what do you think? +REP.

Stephen!
19-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Yeah it would be an improvement, but I still fail to see why you included information about your internet. Improving the RAM your computer won't speed up the internet for the other computer

HotelUser
19-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Getting more RAM in your computer isn't going to speed the internet up if it's going through another computer to yours. (If you were asking if buying more RAM would speed up your internet).

Heinous
19-12-2008, 03:34 AM
Overclocking is the process of forcing a computer component to run at a higher clock rate (more clock cycles per second) than it was designed for.

Though personally I've never overclocked RAM and overall It does seem rather tricky.

I'm going to have to call you out on being a COMPLETE MORON here, but hey.

This person didn't even know what overclocking meant, let alone how to do it. And you even admit overclocking RAM does seem "rather tricky", but then proceed to suggest he tries it.

So I'm going to suggest OP does not try it. The risks in overclocking peripherals is quite large, if not done correctly. Someone who knows NOTHING about OC shouldn't attempt to do it. I, even, only OC my video card using nVIDIA software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking#Disadvantages

Recursion
19-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Overclocking the CPU to be stable is hard enough, let alone the bloody RAM!

Alkaz
19-12-2008, 10:14 AM
Maybe I should rephrase my question.

Is their anythting I can do to speed my computer/net up when my internet connection goes wierless through the maincomputer to my coumputer via dongel. That any better? :P

Wootzeh
19-12-2008, 10:40 AM
get a better dongle / router

scottish
19-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Why isn't your router plugged directly into the modem instead of it going through your comp? :S

Alkaz
19-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Router would only work if the router was plugged into modem and went to my computer and main comp linked to router.

Recursion
19-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Modem > Router > Cable to PC
.......................> Wireless to other PC?

scottish
19-12-2008, 11:01 AM
***** i'm guessing its one of those USB modems so he must plug it into his PC then into router instead of directly into router.

Alkaz
19-12-2008, 11:04 AM
No its a proper modem but only one slot to connect to PC and wierless router needs to be plugged through it, so router has to plug into modem then comps into the router but its for my wierless i need :P

iUnknown
19-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Better network card.. I think.

scottish
19-12-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't get you joe.

Your modem uses ethernet to connect, if so then plug it into the router on the back of the router theres usually about 4 more ethernet ports to plug comps in or let it run wireless, you don't need to run it through computer.

Alkaz
19-12-2008, 12:09 PM
The modem only have one connection ports on back so have to connect wirless router to that then my computer n main computer to wireless router with 4 ports where ill connect wireless to when my comp goes wireless but I wen it does its pretty slow, atm im linked via a cable so I want to know ow I can make wireless connection faster.

scottish
19-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Does your ROUTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR have more than one ethernet port on the back to WIRE other computers in

Does the MODEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM have a normal ethernet port to plug into your PC or is it USB, if its ETHERNET you can plug the MODEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM into the ROUTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR then plug the computer into the ROUTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR using wire or wireless. Then the MODEMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM doesnt have to go through your computer to get to the ROUTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Alkaz
19-12-2008, 12:18 PM
ye ^ :_) soz skot

scottish
19-12-2008, 12:20 PM
k if u dont understand all this;

His modem connects to his router (ethernet)
His main computer connects to his router (wireless)

he wants to know how/if he can speed up the wireless

Stephen!
19-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Yea, but it may get expensive. You'll need to upgrade to wireless N technology.

Soy
19-12-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm going to have to call you out on being a COMPLETE MORON here, but hey.

This person didn't even know what overclocking meant, let alone how to do it. And you even admit overclocking RAM does seem "rather tricky", but then proceed to suggest he tries it.

So I'm going to suggest OP does not try it. The risks in overclocking peripherals is quite large, if not done correctly. Someone who knows NOTHING about OC shouldn't attempt to do it. I, even, only OC my video card using nVIDIA software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overclocking#Disadvantages

I simply mentoined It as an alternative as he was interested. I mentoined that It could be hard but If it's really bugging him that much that he could read up about It and attempt it?

Obviously there is going to be disadvantages but If he does It correctly It should be fine? Please don't make obscure posts, as It seems you know nothing of the subject at hand.

-Rep Is returned, you can go and play World of Warcraft now :)

scottish
19-12-2008, 04:58 PM
Doesn't overclocking kill the life by it?

I remember reading OC'ing kills about 10 yr off a processor or something ;S

owel i'll have 10 years less :P

Soy
19-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Doesn't overclocking kill the life by it?

I remember reading OC'ing kills about 10 yr off a processor or something ;S

owel i'll have 10 years less :P

Yeah that's deffinetly an effect that can occur, but It depends how much overclocking you inted on doing. Some CPU's are not meant to be overclocked, wish I would have known that before I broke my old one about four years ago. :(

scottish
19-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Anyways he doesnt want RAM, he wants to speed his wireless connection up

I'd suggest new router, new dongle.

Soy
19-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Anyways he doesnt want RAM, he wants to speed his wireless connection up

I'd suggest new router, new dongle.

Agreed, he wouldn't see that much of a difference with ram anyway. (+rep)

And maybe your temporary files are packed with junk? There are tutorials online on how you can search for them, as not always when you clear your cache will you get rid of the unwanted files.

illegal
19-12-2008, 10:35 PM

It's not hard, but if you do mess up, your computer can over-heat and **** up. I'd suggest you just upgrade to 4GB of ram and have two 2GB 'sticks' of RAM installed onto the motherboard. You'll notice the difference a lot more and that extra gig doesn't cost a lot more.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!