PDA

View Full Version : Anime Of The Week ~ 1. Death Note

Southe,
22-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Death Note

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e171/southe89/title.png

Plot

Light Yagami is an extremely intelligent young man who resents the crime and corruption in the world. His life undergoes a drastic change when he discovers a mysterious notebook, known as the "Death Note", lying on the ground. The Death Note's instructions claim that if a human's name is written within it, that person shall die. Light is initially skeptical of the notebook's authenticity, but after experimenting with it, Light realizes that the Death Note is real. After meeting with the previous owner of the Death Note, a shinigami named Ryuk, Light seeks to become "the God of the New World" by passing his keen judgment on those he deems to be evil or who get in his way.

Soon, the number of inexplicable deaths of reported criminals catches the attention of the International Police Organization and a mysterious detective known only as "L". L quickly learns that the serial killer, dubbed by the public as "Kira" (キラ, "Kira"? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Japanese) derived from the Japanese pronunciation of the word "killer"), is located in Japan. L also concludes that Kira can kill people without laying a finger on them. Light realizes that L will be his greatest nemesis, and a game of psychological cat and mouse between the two begins.

Questions To Get Started

1. Opinion of show.
2. Fave character and why.
3. Least Fave character and why.
4. Opinions of music. [BGM,OP,ED]
5. A faithful adaption of the manga?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Im aware lots of people have seen this so this should be good for a test run. Questions are there just to help the topic moving. Also id liek feedback on the idea and the way it was set up. so if i get good feedback ill continue to make this a weekly thing.

PaulMacC
22-12-2008, 01:55 PM
1. Good plot with lots of twists and turns.
2. L, cause he was just that damn awesome.
3. Misa, she was so annoying.
4. I liked the ending and openings by Maximum The Horomone (Op2, End2)
5. Eh, I didnt read the manga, so idk.

Axel
22-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Watched the first episode on Youtube, is it all dubbed?

PaulMacC
22-12-2008, 07:24 PM
Watch it on www.animeftw.tv

Nemo
22-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Its best to watch it subbed.

quizshow
22-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Yeah its all dubbed, I watched all the subs first then I watched all the dubs its awesome.

Southe,
22-12-2008, 09:34 PM

Watched it subbed. the only good thing about the dub is brian drummond is the voice of ryuk. and hes the one that did the "Over 9000!" vegeta line before he was replaced.

1. I liked the show, thought it was well done. i just hate the way it turned out when it was brought over here and dubbed. Everyone claiming to be TEH GREATEST FAN EVAR. but yes. Still enjoy it none the less.

2 L because he was awesome. xD

3. Cant really say i hated anyone. i did hate mello at the begining but when the story moved on i liked him.

4. Have all the soundtracks. Liked L, Light, Near character themes. Fan of both of the opening bands nightmare and maximum the horomone. ( MTH were touring the uk this year >.< missed it :() The world was the best OP/ED song in my opinon tho.

5. apart from the ending i thought it was faithful to the manga.

Manga Ending.
When light is shot multiple times he beg ryuk to write there names in the book, which he then writes lights name instead. so the live action ending is more faithful than the anime.

Also. who's seen the live action films? i quite enjoyed them. even the 3rd one ^^ was happy to have more L lol

1. Opinion of show.

Axel
22-12-2008, 10:27 PM

If I have the option to watch it dubbed, I would rather do that.

Mr.Sam
22-12-2008, 11:53 PM
I'm reading the manga, chapter 45/110 :)

So far it's good

Southe,
23-12-2008, 02:11 PM
i prefer the manga lol. the anime at some points they had massive chins :S

LoveToStack
23-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Also. who's seen the live action films? i quite enjoyed them. even the 3rd one ^^ was happy to have more L lol

Bought the DVDs off amazon but the final, 3rd movie isn't on DVD yet so I'll just buy that in the new year.

Neversoft
23-12-2008, 06:00 PM
1. Opinion of show.
One of the best programmes the world had ever produced, anime and live action alike. Was my favourite anime for more than a year.

Light, because I believe he is one of, if not the, most interesting character in then entire series.

Near, ******* *****. What the hell does he think he's doing? Light should **** him up.

One of the best anime soundtracks ever.

Extremely.

As for the live action movies. They suck. Real bad.

If I have the option to watch it dubbed, I would rather do that.

OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Niall!
23-12-2008, 07:24 PM
1. It's a good show, need to download it one day.
2. L, he's just kick ass.
3. Matt, 5 seconds in the anime and he dies yet has so many ******* fangirls it's stupid.
4. Some of the best, the openings were excellent, but funny enough I can't remember the ending. Background was good, set the mood for the show.
5. Didn't read it.

Axel
24-12-2008, 01:12 AM
OH GOD NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What? I'd rather just watch and listen to it rather than just watch it and read subtitles every second. There's not even anything wrong with the dub.

Neversoft
24-12-2008, 01:20 AM
What? I'd rather just watch and listen to it rather than just watch it and read subtitles every second. There's not even anything wrong with the dub.

With the Japanese dub, no. With the English dub, yes. The voice actors are lifeless and lack passion and knowledge of the characters and their surroundings. The Japanese dub on the other hand has some of the best performances I have ever seen in anything voice acted, ever. The last episode is a masterpiece purely for the Japanese voice acting, the casting was excellent. It's all gone pete tong for the English cast though, they get nothing right. Plus the script seems to have been changed so drastically that it just ruins the series for me. I actually gave up on buying the DVDs because Manga Entertainment are so lazy that they can't even translate the Japanese script to do the subtitles. I don't want to watch some half arsed ****, which is what they're actually supplying. Stick to the fan subs.

Axel
24-12-2008, 01:52 AM
With the Japanese dub, no. With the English dub, yes. The voice actors are lifeless and lack passion and knowledge of the characters and their surroundings. The Japanese dub on the other hand has some of the best performances I have ever seen in anything voice acted, ever. The last episode is a masterpiece purely for the Japanese voice acting, the casting was excellent. It's all gone pete tong for the English cast though, they get nothing right. Plus the script seems to have been changed so drastically that it just ruins the series for me. I actually gave up on buying the DVDs because Manga Entertainment are so lazy that they can't even translate the Japanese script to do the subtitles. I don't want to watch some half arsed ****, which is what they're actually supplying. Stick to the fan subs.

And in the Japanese dub every single actor understands their character 100% and does a perfect job? Bull.

Dunno if we're watching the same English dub, but in the one I'm watching they're not 'lifeless'. And why do I care if the Japanese dub is better when I can't understand what they're saying and I'm just reading subtitiles?

Neversoft
24-12-2008, 02:06 AM
And in the Japanese dub every single actor understands their character 100% and does a perfect job? Bull.

Dunno if we're watching the same English dub, but in the one I'm watching they're not 'lifeless'. And why do I care if the Japanese dub is better when I can't understand what they're saying and I'm just reading subtitiles?

Yeah, they do. They live in Japan. They actually speak the correct language in the correct country. They understand their surroundings. They can actually prenounce the names and words.They're the ones who work with the director's, producer's and all the other original staff. Not in some run down office in New York with a fat studio manager and a total of three other staff. Yeah, I've seen the behind the scenes footage on the DVDs. They're the one's who are told and learn what they're characters are suppost to be like by people who actually know what they're doing, and they're the one's with actual first hand experience.

Hah, dunno what episode you're at then, because I hear lifeless voice acting here, there and everywhere when I watch it dubbed. L's character has been totally ruined, Ray Penbar has become your average nobody, Misora Naomi has been reduced from awesome to appalling. The only good voice is that of Light, which is a relief because if they ruined his voice no one knows what kind of state the world would be in right now. I don't care if you don't care, you quite firmly said that there was nothing wrong with the English dub, so I'm just pointing out that there actually is. Watch it if you want, it's none of my business, but really, compared to the Japanese dub it is bad.

Axel
24-12-2008, 02:48 AM
Yeah, they do. They live in Japan. They actually speak the correct language in the correct country. They understand their surroundings. They can actually prenounce the names and words.They're the ones who work with the director's, producer's and all the other original staff. Not in some run down office in New York with a fat studio manager and a total of three other staff. Yeah, I've seen the behind the scenes footage on the DVDs. They're the one's who are told and learn what they're characters are suppost to be like by people who actually know what they're doing, and they're the one's with actual first hand experience.

Hah, dunno what episode you're at then, because I hear lifeless voice acting here, there and everywhere when I watch it dubbed. L's character has been totally ruined, Ray Penbar has become your average nobody, Misora Naomi has been reduced from awesome to appalling. The only good voice is that of Light, which is a relief because if they ruined his voice no one knows what kind of state the world would be in right now. I don't care if you don't care, you quite firmly said that there was nothing wrong with the English dub, so I'm just pointing out that there actually is. Watch it if you want, it's none of my business, but really, compared to the Japanese dub it is bad.

I decided to watch episode 4 with Ray Penbar in it in sub... nope, not much difference to the dub, except he's talking in Japanese and it's a different voice actor. And I didn't see Ray as a nobody in the dub, was shocked he died too.

It's not like I'm against subs anyawy. I'm watching Death Note and enjoying it with the dub, I watched FMA and enjoyed the dub, Bleach, however, I think the dub for that was pretty crap.

Nemo
24-12-2008, 02:49 AM
I decided to watch episode 4 with Ray Penbar in it in sub... nope, not much difference to the dub, except he's talking in Japanese and it's a different voice actor. And I didn't see Ray as a nobody in the dub, was shocked he died too.

It's not like I'm against subs anyawy. I'm watching Death Note and enjoying it with the dub, I watched FMA and enjoyed the dub, Bleach, however, I think the dub for that was pretty crap.
FMA dub was awesome, cant use that sorry.

PaulMacC
24-12-2008, 04:53 AM
FMA Sub > Dub

Southe,
24-12-2008, 09:27 AM
yea thats what i hate about MANGA dvds. they just sub the dub. which is annoying ive watched the fansubs to much to know what there saying tho. only buying naruto,bleach, death note of them tho. prefer to get mine from america more for my money.

Anyway. Isnt the 3rd movie out in a few days?

Axel
27-12-2008, 05:32 PM
OMG BIGGEST DEATH NOTE FAN EVAR LOLOLOL.11!!!1

'tis pretty awesome though.

Neversoft
27-12-2008, 05:51 PM
yea thats what i hate about MANGA dvds. they just sub the dub. which is annoying ive watched the fansubs to much to know what there saying tho. only buying naruto,bleach, death note of them tho. prefer to get mine from america more for my money.

Anyway. Isnt the 3rd movie out in a few days?

Yeah, I'm actually very wary of buying from them now. When I heard they licensed The Girl Who Leapt Through Time I was like "NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!", but THANK GOD they actuallyed used the Japanese script to sub it this time, and they actually put Japanese extra's on the DVD instead of American ones! I was appalled to see the Death Note DVDs packed with American extra's, so I was surpised to see Japanese ones on The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. There are very few extra's, however... but commentary with the Director and Voice Actor's is all I need! I actually watched the whole film with the commentary on, they're so much more enthusiastic than the American staff. Also, if there were American extra's and they used the English script to sub the movie I would have probably destroyed it. The dub is the worst I have ever heard!

Anyway, back to Death Note. I suddenly had an urge to watch it today, so I started from episode 8 since I had already watched them episodes on the DVD a while back and watched to episode 11. :P I think I'm gonna watch up to episode 26 and finish it there. I hate Near with a passion more than ever. My third time re-watching it. :8

Southe,
28-12-2008, 11:27 AM
lol, i dont mind near really. anyway im just rewatching with the dvd releases like all the other series i buy. was looking at my bros msn list. -.- lots of people with death note pics or text in there name. and someone had "L is for loss of Life" or something like that. and none of them as i know watch anime.. i know my bro does. but he only watches Big series but bleh.

Neversoft
28-12-2008, 06:09 PM
My brother started reading the manga, he read the first three or four volumes then I told him there was an 'animation series' since these simpleton's don't understand the anime term. So he watched the first 8 episodes on my DVD, then kept asking me what happens next but I wouldn't tell him because I didn't want to spoil it. Then his curiosity got the best of him and he watched the very last episode just to see how it ends. -_- I was like "YOU IDIOT! You've just ruined it for yourself!" I then asked him where L was because he obviously skipped that episode and hasn't got to it in the manga yet and he was like "I dunno." What a moron. Atleast he's still reading the manga. At an extremely slow pace, but atleast he's reading it!

Axel
28-12-2008, 06:11 PM
My brother started reading the manga, he read the first three or four volumes then I told him there was an 'animation series' since these simpleton's don't understand the anime term. So he watched the first 8 episodes on my DVD, then kept asking me what happens next but I wouldn't tell him because I didn't want to spoil it. Then his curiosity got the best of him and he watched the very last episode just to see how it ends. -_- I was like "YOU IDIOT! You've just ruined it for yourself!" I then asked him where L was because he obviously skipped that episode and hasn't got to it in the manga yet and he was like "I dunno." What a moron. Atleast he's still reading the manga. At an extremely slow pace, but atleast he's reading it!

Use spoiler tags plx.

Neversoft
28-12-2008, 06:14 PM
I will when I spoil something.

Axel
28-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I will when I spoil something.

You spoiled the fact that L dissapears!

Neversoft
28-12-2008, 07:24 PM
So have you! How does he disappear though!? It's a mystery... you'll have to continue watching to find out! See, not spoiled, just makes you want to find out more!

Shinigami
29-12-2008, 10:36 PM
he gets abducted by aliens

inVe
29-12-2008, 10:46 PM
1. Opinion of show.

1. Was brilliant, the story was amazing - The animation delightful, was just a great anime.
2. L, need I explain?
3. Misa. UGH.
4. Opening rocked, can't remember the ending. BGM was great.
5. Haven't read the manga.

Axel
01-01-2009, 05:59 AM
L NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Neversoft
01-01-2009, 02:23 PM
Hey... wait a minute... are you only just watching Death Note for the first time now Axel?

Axel
01-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Err ye.

Neversoft
01-01-2009, 08:13 PM
Oh wait... I thought you'd already seen it. Very sorry if I spoiled anything about L earlier! :x

Axel
01-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Well you just said he dissapeared, not a massive spoiler.

And ye I haven't seen it before. :P It's only my 3rd proper anime series I've watched. Seen FMA and Avatar and up to date with Bleach, halfway through Death Note now.

Neversoft
01-01-2009, 10:03 PM

You should check out some anime films. You'll be introduced to an entirely new but familiar entertainment medium. Watch Sword of the Stranger, and you'll know what I mean.

Axel
01-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I know Avatar isn't officially, that's why I said Death Note is my 3rd anime. :P

Neversoft
01-01-2009, 11:03 PM
Then why mentioned Avatar alongside FMA and Bleach? :P

Axel
03-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Finished.

Really good series.

Axel
09-01-2009, 05:58 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n125/bakahime/Cosplay/misa.jpg

Southe,
10-01-2009, 02:29 PM
lol just to say not gonna do anime of the week thing now. because people keep coming back to this one xD so i'll just leave it for this now, and ordered 3rd movie last night.

Neversoft
10-01-2009, 03:13 PM
Well you can't expect the thread to just die after one week.

Southe,
10-01-2009, 06:32 PM
true but the idea was each week we would move onto something else ect. but the week 2 was left and people kept going back to week 1. so its pointless making a week thread if no one will stick it. it just ends up being a death note thread. so im leaving it.

just stick to making threads abotu series XD alot easier.

Axel
10-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Sorry just thought that picture was good for this thread.

Southe,
10-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Lol im not saying its you. other people were posting aswell lol. i just decided it was really a good idea for the moment lol.

and the pic deserved to be posted pretty good. usually all i see is L cosplays or Light

Neversoft
10-01-2009, 09:53 PM
That girl Axel posted is a professional Japanese cosplayer I think, she makes money out of it. I've seen loads of pics of her but her name escapes me.

I saw loads of L cosplayers last year at the MCM Expo, it sickened me. Even girls were cosplaying as L. L has way too many fangirls.

uje
11-01-2009, 06:27 PM
I agree, alot better in subbed, but tbh when is that differnat? :P

Also, i agree L has too many fangirls, At any con i see atleast a dozen L's who are girls. I mean i have no problem with crossplaying, but its like an army out there!

The seires overall is great and very addiciting, xD

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!