PDA

View Full Version : Marijuana - should it be legalized?

ToxicPaddy
23-12-2008, 03:17 AM
What do you think - should it be legalized? Or perhaps you think only for medical purposes? Or perhaps keep it illegal as it currently is?

Debate it!

GommeInc
23-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Keep it illegal other than for medical reasons, and controlled medical usage at that. There's no need to use marijuana and if patients require it, and actually do require it, then it should be dealt with in a controlled environment so no one can get a hold of it or abuse it.

Verrou
23-12-2008, 08:46 AM
Keep it illegal, just use morphine.

Recursion
23-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Keep it illegal other than for medical reasons, and controlled medical usage at that. There's no need to use marijuana and if patients require it, and actually do require it, then it should be dealt with in a controlled environment so no one can get a hold of it or abuse it.

Ditto.

Clowgon
23-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Keep it illegal, just use morphine.

A great way for someone to kill themselves. For medication, you putting your life at risk.

It also depends on a lot of factors, from how big you are, your health status, and how much tolerance you have built up. Your body can adjust to quite a lot if you introduce it slowly. Of course, I wouldn't suggest use, slow or fast, unless absolutely necessary.

A bad idea.

Zak
24-12-2008, 12:34 AM
I'm just waiting for some kid to say

"Yeahhh omg man legalize tha **** so i can smok moar weeed all day longn"

I know I'm rubbish at impersonations but o well

Keep it illegal..

buttons
24-12-2008, 12:35 AM
simple answer : Yeahhh omg man legalize tha **** so i can smok moar weeed all day longn

Geraint
24-12-2008, 12:37 AM
Yes, I think it should be. It is very low risk and isn't addictive.

graffiti
24-12-2008, 12:39 AM
Illegal because it can damage your health (obviously) and it causes hallucinating.

FlyingJesus
24-12-2008, 12:42 AM
What stoner kids don't realise is that if it's made legal it'll be heavily taxed and monitored, so to get hold of it they'd probably have to be older (because tbh alcohol is 18 so aged 13-17 most people just get drugs instead because it's easier to get hold of at a younger age) and so they'd be left with nothing. Also the prices would increase, and there would be records of who'd bought it.

It's better for all if it's kept illegal tbh, except for people who really do believe they need it for medicinal purposes, but for them there's other things you can get.

flyingbrick
24-12-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm a big believer that marijuana should be legalised. (And I'm not some stupid child or reckless hippy)

It has no recorded fatalities and is far less dangerous and addictive than alcohol and tobacco.

It relaxes you, and doesn't turn you into a raving and aggressive drunkard like beer can.

I think we'd all be a lot happier if marijuana was legal.

Blinger1
24-12-2008, 01:02 AM
I'm a big believer that marijuana should be legalised. (And I'm not some stupid child or reckless hippy)

It has no recorded fatalities and is far less dangerous and addictive than alcohol and tobacco.

It relaxes you, and doesn't turn you into a raving and aggressive drunkard like beer can.

I think we'd all be a lot happier if marijuana was legal.

Why would I be happier? I've never taken marijuana..

I don't really care, it isn't important to me but I guess having it illegal makes no difference.
And agreed on what FlyingJesus said but, how would they keep it on record? Couldn't anyone just sell it:S

Fifteen
24-12-2008, 01:04 AM
I think it should be kept illgal, it messes people up, makes them do stupid things and is a waste of money imo

FlyingJesus
24-12-2008, 01:07 AM
how would they keep it on record? Couldn't anyone just sell it:S

Making it legal isn't the same thing as introducing a free and open market for it outside of the law. Most likely if it was legalised it'd be so heavily restricted and regulated that street dealers would still try staying in the business (but with increased prices), but the legal stuff would be all well monitored I'm sure

dirrty
24-12-2008, 01:09 AM
no it shouldn't as wot i say goes

Alkaz
No I dont think it should. It is being re-classified to a class B according to a family friend who words down the local cop shop. Good move imo, seen it ruin too many lifes.

Blinger1
Making it legal isn't the same thing as introducing a free and open market for it outside of the law. Most likely if it was legalised it'd be so heavily restricted and regulated that street dealers would still try staying in the business (but with increased prices), but the legal stuff would be all well monitored I'm sure
Ahh! I mis-interpreted what you said :)

Jordy
It's a little-known fact that you can actually get it on prescription in the UK. So yes it is actually used for medical uses if the NHS thinks you need it, anyone who takes it for 'medical reasons' illegally does not actually need it as they have most probably been rejected to have it legally.

Alkaz
24-12-2008, 01:12 AM
^ Other class A drugs are sometimes used to terminally ill people in serious pain as a pain killer.

J0SH
24-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Illegal because it can damage your health (obviously) and it causes hallucinating.

It makes you high and it doesn't make you hallucinate..

Kardan
24-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Should stay illegal in my opinion.

Jordy
24-12-2008, 01:18 AM
^ Other class A drugs are sometimes used to terminally ill people in serious pain as a pain killer.Yeah nearly all classified drugs have good uses, my mum runs a nursing home and has frequently given legal Heroin to dying residents.

Zak
27-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Well I'm suprised with the outcome of this debate

I thought most would want to legalise to make themselves feel e-hard;)

& in general I think it's better to step up Cannabis from rank C classification to rank B.

DrLacero
27-12-2008, 03:00 AM
Illegal because it can damage your health (obviously)

The actual substance is harmless, the only damage that you can have from smoking marijuana is if it has been "messed with". There has never been a death from marijuana in American history. Now tobacco on the other hand kills about 390,000 Americans per year.

and it causes hallucinating.

Nope

Have a look through here (http://www.drugabuse.gov/PDF/Monographs/), there is some really interesting stuff.

Personally I think it should be legalised, it's not harmful (in fact it's beneficial for a great many problems including reliving pain for glaucoma) and think about how different the streets of major cities would be on friday nights if people were smoking a joint or two instead of binge drinking. I bet the NHS could save money replacing teeth and resetting bones.

Nb: smoking pretty much anything is unhealthy, vaporisers are cheap, get the hint?

J0SH
27-12-2008, 04:12 AM
Nope, just keep weed legal and everyones pleased.

27-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Tbh I say sure why not, let people do what they want.
Aint hurtin nobody but themselves.

9y
01-01-2009, 04:27 PM
I would say Legalize. I dont do it myself. But its so well know, So used that It probably wouldnt make much of a difference besides you would see people smoking it rarther than just high. But really, The only difference between walking through town behind a guy with a joint or a cig. Is the smell, and people will get used to it.

Corporal
01-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Nope

Yes it is a a mild hallucinogen

drama
01-01-2009, 04:40 PM
I think it should be kept illgal, it messes people up, makes them do stupid things and is a waste of money imo
and alcohol doesn't?

and it should be kept illegal, as prices would be RIDICULOUSLY high with goverment taxing (I think somones said that before in this thread)

Corporal
01-01-2009, 04:43 PM
and alcohol doesn't?

and it should be kept illegal, as prices would be RIDICULOUSLY high with goverment taxing (I think somones said that before in this thread)

If the goverment banned alcohol the whole of the UK would say its gone mad!
Alcohol has been prooved to make you more healthy if used in certain ways.
has marijuana?

Skajo
01-01-2009, 05:07 PM
All drugs should be legal and medical problems that are related to drugs should be blocked from using the NHS unless they pay for the time they're using (as it's self-inflicted with knowledge that it will end up harming them). If all drugs were legal, there would be less of a thrill to the users because now, they're beyond the law and it gives them an adrenaline rush I guess.

Anyway, that's just my view.

drama
01-01-2009, 05:27 PM
If the goverment banned alcohol the whole of the UK would say its gone mad!
has marijuana?

Well for a start, if Alcohol was only founded and mass consumed 10 years ago it would be a class A drug, with the highest death rate of all drugs.

secondly, yes it has.

I don't smoke weed (anymore) and I drink a ton, so I don't know why i'm argueing across this point lol

Corporal
01-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Well for a start, if Alcohol was only founded and mass consumed 10 years ago it would be a class A drug, with the highest death rate of all drugs.

secondly, yes it has.

I don't smoke weed (anymore) and I drink a ton, so I don't know why i'm argueing across this point lol
probably yer but like i said if it was made illegal like the others sooo many people would complain.
and do u have a link? as i havent seen anything like that.

kuzkasate
01-01-2009, 06:28 PM
simple answer : Yeahhh omg man legalize tha **** so i can smok moar weeed all day longn
sme ere rofl

Jordy
02-01-2009, 01:22 AM
I suspect if it was made legal though, lots of the current users would stop and move on to a harder and far more dangerous drug such as Cocaine. Lots of people smoke Cannabis for the thrill of breaking the law or simply doing something which is considered bad, or even unique. If it was legalised I reckon lots would move up the ladder of drugs instead of being pleased (It's not like its currently difficult to get hold of).

DrLacero
02-01-2009, 01:52 AM
Yes it is a a mild hallucinogen

No, it contains THC (in small amounts) which is. Go see how much weed you'd need to smoke to hallucinate, it's about the same as the amount of champagne you'd need to see pink elephants dancing for you.

has marijuana?

You're generalising there a bit, a glass of red wine a day can be healthy, it doesn't make alcohol healthy. Cannabis can reduce the negative effects of chemotherapy, reduce symptoms of anorexia. The FDA (Food and drug administration in the US) has approved it as a treatment for HIV. There is staggering amounts of research on medical marijuana, have a read through sometime.

Corporal
02-01-2009, 07:25 PM
No, it contains THC (in small amounts) which is. Go see how much weed you'd need to smoke to hallucinate, it's about the same as the amount of champagne you'd need to see pink elephants dancing for you.

You're generalising there a bit, a glass of red wine a day can be healthy, it doesn't make alcohol healthy. Cannabis can reduce the negative effects of chemotherapy, reduce symptoms of anorexia. The FDA (Food and drug administration in the US) has approved it as a treatment for HIV. There is staggering amounts of research on medical marijuana, have a read through sometime.
Ive never heard of alcohol making you hallucinate:s

And not really, considering i said in certain ways.

illegal
02-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Smoking cannabis is better for you then smoking ciggerates.
It doesn't cause hallunacentions.

If you take a lot of it daily, you can go mental; so mental health issues, but the effects are similar to being drunk, for example stoned-driving is just as illegal drink-driving, due to the effects.

Sold in low-amounts, for example 2 grams £10 (Drug-Dealer rate anyway), 2 grams will not get you stoned engouth to give you mental health issues. The fact alchohol is legal and is a worst drug says a lot.

amen
03-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Keep it illegal.

Ashhizzle
03-01-2009, 01:20 AM
Either way it is still possible to get hold of :)

i've just turned 15 and i know 3-4 people who would be able to deal me some at the click of my fingers.

When i was 13 it wouldn't have been too hard to get hold of.

:) i dont smoke it, but its never going to be completely banished from the UK so leave it :)

Bef
03-01-2009, 01:26 AM
What stoner kids don't realise is that if it's made legal it'll be heavily taxed and monitored, so to get hold of it they'd probably have to be older (because tbh alcohol is 18 so aged 13-17 most people just get drugs instead because it's easier to get hold of at a younger age) and so they'd be left with nothing. Also the prices would increase, and there would be records of who'd bought it.

It's better for all if it's kept illegal tbh, except for people who really do believe they need it for medicinal purposes, but for them there's other things you can get.

Actually i believe they would be able to sell it in shops cheaper. They wouldnt have to go on the current street prices.
The prices of drugs depend on the demand in the area and how available the drugs are and what people are willing to pay. A dealer knows that if he jacks his prices up to £30 an 8th and ther are other dealers local selling it for £20 then hes not gunna shift it, but if hes the only one with anything in that area he wil be able to do it!
Its only the price it is because of these factors not because its actually worth that amount. Yes if it was made legal it would be taxed but theres no reason to say that it would start out at £20 +tax an 8 bag. If they were to do that then the dealers would still remain in business because they would be selling it cheaper!

winner
03-01-2009, 01:41 AM
Keep it illegal.

i agree cos buying it from a shop would double its cost because of VAT and tax and stuff...

Chimei
03-01-2009, 10:13 PM

The answer is simple. Marijuana can be used to treat medical conditions, and is prescribed to people who need it. It should remain illegal if you haven't been prescribed it. Nice reading wikipedia or whatever and then posting the facts on here like you own them. Illegal without prescription is the way to go.

And whoever says that cannabis is less addictive than alcohol... jesus. That is totally wrong. Also, don't cannabis users' brains differ to non-users - and it is widely thought it raises the risk of psychosis? Well, alcohol, if taken in huge amounts over a long period of time will eventually and I mean very eventually cause your liver to pack in (not the only problem arising from alcohol abuse but probably the most notorious one) whereas cannabis, well I'm sure it is far less dangerous! It only wastes your money, gets you hooked faster than alcohol, increase the chance of psychosis and then the problems arising from smoking.

DrLacero
03-01-2009, 11:24 PM
And whoever says that cannabis is less addictive than alcohol... jesus. That is totally wrong.

Cite your sources, I'm sure a great many people have tried both and have found different results, cannabis is far less addictive to me, I don't think I've ever had a craving for it, unlike alcohol.

Also, don't cannabis users' brains differ to non-users - and it is widely thought it raises the risk of psychosis?

I've never heard of cannabis causing psychosis, only making it more obvious in someone already suffering. Surely if it did, it also wouldn't be approved for use as a medical drug would it?

As for your snide remarks, some people are able to retain knowledge without the need to look it up from biased e-books.

vito201-:D
05-01-2009, 04:50 AM
People that know me (Shenk/Alex) will know I'm a bit of a drug addict... but... this is my opinion on all drugs in general.

Everything should be legalised (apart from perscription drugs)

Why?

1.) It'd mean all the drugs would be 100% pure, no added crap. (Less likely to get addicted or die from impurities)
2.) You'd know EXACTLY what you were taking. (You wouldn't acidently take a pill covered in acid ect.)
3.) Addicts could seek help without being scared. (Thus stopping ODing and ruining so many lives)
4.) If someone is dying and a group of kids were all taking illigal drugs, they often don't call for help...
5.) With more advice that could then be openly given the deaths on drugs would be very small.
6.) It would cut down on SOOO much crime, drug dealing funds some pretty nast crimes.

and there are a lot of other reasons... and few against in my eyes.

leah
08-01-2009, 07:28 AM
I don't think it should...
it does have long term nagative effects on the brain and it causes sickness sometimes... a drug that causes such side effects shouldn't be legal imo.

habzii
08-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Keep it the way it is. I grow my own so if doesn't bother me lol

LeeroyJenkins
08-01-2009, 11:17 AM
you guys all fail

make it legal, then tax it.

currently there is no tax where i live when people get marijuana ( and note i don't live in the UK)

so it would help the economy.

but then again i am a libertarian and believe people do whatever the hell they want.

RedStratocas
08-01-2009, 06:54 PM
and alcohol doesn't?

people would grow their own if it were legal, thus it'd be ridiculously cheap.

as long as alcohol, a drug that in virtually every way is worse for you and society as a whole than weed, is legal, weed should be legal.

Calon
08-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Marijuana is used legalized or what, it's just a few things police officers won't take people in for..

Law won't stop drug addicts, unless they're locked away from it. By denying people from using it with laws, I wonder if the law actually stopped anyone?

Personally, I don't smoke marijuana, never will.. So it's pretty pointless what the law says, people still break it..

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!