PDA

View Full Version : Xslimmer.. WOW!

Kyle!
28-12-2008, 10:46 PM
Well I've just downloaded this program because I heard some great stuff about it and wow! Improved my Mac's speed greatly, and cleared out 5 GB of Disk Space!

What it is:
Xslimmer is a tool for Mac OS X that reduces the space claimed by Universal Binary applications, and their language localizations, on your hard disk, while preserving their full functionality. This is achieved by removing the code inside the Universal Binaries that does not fit with your machine's architecture or your system preferences language selection.

How it works:
Universal Binaries are often referred to by developers as "fat binaries", and that's for a reason. When a Universal Binary application is created, it contains several versions of the code: a version intended to run on PowerPC machines (like G4 or G5 Macs), another one meant for the more recent Intel machines. This ensures that the application will run on all the platforms that support Mac OS X, but the code that is not suitable for the computer you are using will never be executed, although it is taking up space in your hard drive. Xslimmer analyzes the applications you have installed and removes the unnecessary code, leaving only the most suitable version for the computer you are using, and thus reducing the space taken up on your disk.

The Website (http://www.xslimmer.com/)

It's available on loads of torrent sites (illegal, but it's always an option) so seriously, try this out. :D

xxMATTGxx
28-12-2008, 10:50 PM
Yeah, I used this a few times when I had my mac. Did the job i guess but I gave up doing it in the end :(.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!