PDA

View Full Version : My Antivirus?

Ostinato
30-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Hiya.

The other week I uninstalled and compeltely removed norton from my system, and am now running using both windows defender and something called ESET Smart Security.

However, I feel as thoguh this ESET thing isn't really doing much as I have no notifications, warnings or alerts or anything at all. Maybe this is a good thing, but I guess in comparison to using norton for the past few years I feel less kept up to date with it? lol

I'm just wondering if others use this? I only use it as it was recommended on here and I like the fact that it doesn't slow my computer down...

So just for some confirmation that it is actually decent and people know of it, cause I previously hadn't heard of it. And if not any alternatives to use?

Cheers :)

scottish
30-12-2008, 03:22 PM
ESET/NOD32 is the best but i you wna change

AVG/Avast for free

Hitman
30-12-2008, 03:23 PM
ESET is good, I used to use it until I switched to AVG. Norton never worked for me - if I had a bad virus it would just tell me, it would never fix it even if I wanted it to.

Panda is useless, I bought a real copy from a supermarket and I could never uninstall it nor could I remove viruses.

My favourite is probably ESET, I might purchase a full licence in the future. I'm with AVG atm, it works perfectly.

N!ck
30-12-2008, 03:31 PM
Norton only does all of that notification stuff because it's crap and wants you to think it's good and really playing an active roll in keeping your system secure. Most of the things it notified you about were probably actually insignificant. ESET will only notify you if it's something you might actually care about.

Kevin
30-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Hover over the ESET Smart Security Icon, see what virus signature database it is on, it could be expired or your licence could have been blacklisted, this would stop it from picking up the latest viruses

If it is 3723 (20081230) it's the latest one

Agnostic Bear
30-12-2008, 03:36 PM
Hiya.

The other week I uninstalled and compeltely removed norton from my system, and am now running using both windows defender and something called ESET Smart Security.

However, I feel as thoguh this ESET thing isn't really doing much as I have no notifications, warnings or alerts or anything at all. Maybe this is a good thing, but I guess in comparison to using norton for the past few years I feel less kept up to date with it? lol

I'm just wondering if others use this? I only use it as it was recommended on here and I like the fact that it doesn't slow my computer down...

So just for some confirmation that it is actually decent and people know of it, cause I previously hadn't heard of it. And if not any alternatives to use?

Cheers :)

ESET Smart Security is the best AV possible, lightweight, picks up **** loads of everything. If it's not blogging at you, your computer is fine.

Recursion
30-12-2008, 04:24 PM
The only notifications I got from it was when it updated, it updated about 10 times per day :O

Right now I have a years subscription to Kaspersky to see how thats goes :]

Cylinder
30-12-2008, 05:10 PM
If it is 3723 (20081230) it's the latest one

Mines 3722, but it's also pirated with 24,000+ days left on it. I try to update but it says it's upto date, howcomes?

The only notifications I got from it was when it updated, it updated about 10 times per day :O

Right now I have a years subscription to Kaspersky to see how thats goes :]

I had kaspersky but when it found a virus it made some sort of screaming noise and it scared me to death first time I heard it lol.

Recursion
30-12-2008, 05:21 PM
It doesn't do that anymore, or if it does i've disabled it lol

Cylinder
30-12-2008, 05:24 PM
It doesn't do that anymore, or if it does i've disabled it lol
Yeah, this was like last year. Kaspersky 7 or something lol. Still was a good AV, while it lasted on my system.. lol

Robbie
30-12-2008, 05:28 PM
Someone get me a link to a cracked version they know works. I have tried 3 off warez-bb and they all dont activate, just say username and password when I update :(

Thanks

scottish
30-12-2008, 05:29 PM
I remember avast shouting at me :P

Everytime it updates it says "Virus database has been updated" or something along those lines, bloody annoying but i got AVG now ;D

Cylinder
30-12-2008, 05:32 PM
I remember avast shouting at me :P

Everytime it updates it says "Virus database has been updated" or something along those lines, bloody annoying but i got AVG now ;D
I used to use avast aswell, odd times I would be in bed watching something on my laptop and then that starts lol.. imho, NOD32 is the best AV I've ever used though. It's really quiet, doesn't make any noise and doesn't scream and talk to you :D

Kevin
30-12-2008, 05:36 PM
I had that problem, I originally had the 'Never Ending Trial' version, it cut's out after a while, and is rendered usless because it does not update

The best way is, Download the trial from ESET, then use nod321.com
to find a recent code,
if that one is blacklisted you can manually enter another one.

Hazza
30-12-2008, 05:48 PM
Norton is a load of ********, good thing you removed it, when you have a trial it tells you you have loads of viruses and stuff. I got my laptop yesterday and as soon as I turned it on it was like "your computer is at risk" - I removed it and downloaded AVG free verison, I've always thought it was the best one tbh. :)

Hitman
30-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I had that problem, I originally had the 'Never Ending Trial' version, it cut's out after a while, and is rendered usless because it does not update

The best way is, Download the trial from ESET, then use nod321.com
to find a recent code,
if that one is blacklisted you can manually enter another one.

That's why I don't used ESET anymore because it's a pain in the backside with all that. A precracked AVG that runs out in 2018 is good, it updates like a full licence.

Once I get some money saved up (and I don't need anything important) I'll buy an ESET licence.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!