PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft - Payasyougo for Windows

Tim.
30-12-2008, 05:21 PM
I do apologise if this thread has already been started, however i couldnt seem to find one on this topic. I was reading this on the WD forums.

''Microsoft Corp. last week applied for a patent that spells out a "pay as you go" concept (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9000670) under which users would be charged for both the software they run and the computing horsepower they use.''

So uses will be hit in the pocket yet again by Microsoft who are indeed getting worried by other publishers, and want to rule the market by running a pay as you go system.

full story at - http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9124459

Recursion
30-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Its probably for their cloud-based OS they are making.

Jahova
30-12-2008, 06:36 PM
Sounds stupid, but then again Microsoft try and squeeze every penny they can from us by charging us for everything.

Firehorse
30-12-2008, 07:04 PM
If they did that then i'd just stay on vista, simple. I doubt they'd be so stupid as to do something like this, maybe they heard a rival was thinking of this idea and just took the opportunity to stop them.

Tomm
30-12-2008, 08:20 PM
Sounds alot like http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/ if you ask me.

HotelUser
30-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Everyone takes from everyone else in technology. Windows would be terrible if this wasn't true.

NN-Dom
31-12-2008, 01:42 AM
Everyone takes from everyone else in technology. Windows would be terrible if this wasn't true.

and so would mac.

Hitman
01-01-2009, 10:34 PM
They're not doing this to every PC... you can either pay £600 (or whatever price) for a PC with unlimited usage, or a PC for £300 but have limited usage. It's designed for poor and undeveloped countries where it's cheaper to do this.

They get a cheap PC but have to buy usage time, like in an internet cafe. We all use ours whenever.

Jordy
01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
I do apologise if this thread has already been started, however i couldnt seem to find one on this topic. I was reading this on the WD forums.

''Microsoft Corp. last week applied for a patent that spells out a "pay as you go" concept (http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9000670) under which users would be charged for both the software they run and the computing horsepower they use.''

So uses will be hit in the pocket yet again by Microsoft who are indeed getting worried by other publishers, and want to rule the market by running a pay as you go system.

full story at - http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9124459Where does it mention 'Windows'? Wait.. Wait.. No where in the entire article. This will actually save users money as they're paying in small amounts at a time (in countries where they might not be able to afford a computer easily) and they don't have to get all the applications they don't need, if they're never going to use Movie Maker they may as well not get it. It appears to me you haven't noticed Microsoft is a business, they want to make money yes, is that a crime? No. This will most probably benefit some consumers so they can purchase their first computer in developing countries. I have no idea if you're a Mac Fanboy but judging from your string of posts I do get that impression, I don't see people in developing nations with iMacs? No they're using internet cafes with Windows.

Thats also how windows makes their money through the monopoly, any mabey apples trying to get in on that.Another pathetic post from you as well

Tim.
02-01-2009, 02:28 AM
Where does it mention 'Windows'? Wait.. Wait.. No where in the entire article. This will actually save users money as they're paying in small amounts at a time (in countries where they might not be able to afford a computer easily) and they don't have to get all the applications they don't need, if they're never going to use Movie Maker they may as well not get it. It appears to me you haven't noticed Microsoft is a business, they want to make money yes, is that a crime? No. This will most probably benefit some consumers so they can purchase their first computer in developing countries. I have no idea if you're a Mac Fanboy but judging from your string of posts I do get that impression, I don't see people in developing nations with iMacs? No they're using internet cafes with Windows.

Another pathetic post from you as well

*** @ That. I was meerly posting what i found and your instantly fighting lmao at what a fool you've made yourself look like. Oh and sorry i think your forgetting Microsoft are Windows? Lols

Dear o dear. I was infact just posting what i had read. so soz. lols Oh and the bit about them saving money - Microsoft even addmitted it would most likely make the overall cost higher.

Hitman
02-01-2009, 11:29 AM
*** @ That. I was meerly posting what i found and your instantly fighting lmao at what a fool you've made yourself look like. Oh and sorry i think your forgetting Microsoft are Windows? Lols

Dear o dear. I was infact just posting what i had read. so soz. lols Oh and the bit about them saving money - Microsoft even addmitted it would most likely make the overall cost higher.

Indeed, Microsoft are Windows, but Windows is the operating system and Microsoft is the company. They might not be doing this for Windows OS (they are but it doesn't say so in your post), they could be doing it for Zune software or something.

If it's going to cost more then it defeats the point. But maybe if they used them in Internet cafes or something it would be better...

Tim.
02-01-2009, 08:27 PM
No - the point is, to make more money. It even says microsoft admitted it is likely be a higher cost. However one advantage will mean its alot easier to get hold of expensive software using a pay as you go system, so you dont have to pay the vast amount of money to buy them.

Also it doesnt say in my post because i provided a link to the full story i had read which explained this?

Hitman
02-01-2009, 08:32 PM
No - the point is, to make more money. It even says microsoft admitted it is likely be a higher cost. However one advantage will mean its alot easier to get hold of expensive software using a pay as you go system, so you dont have to pay the vast amount of money to buy them.

Also it doesnt say in my post because i provided a link to the full story i had read which explained this?

Hmm thats the good side I suppose... wonder if the PC specs will be good... well, in those undeveloped countries they might share one between a village and everybody can use it for a small price... so the government buys the pc for $300, people pay whatever to use it. Better than the government paying $600.

marriott0.01
02-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Windows is a product made by Microsoft, they aren't Microsoft, but I know what your saying.

Also Microsoft are just money grabbing lil' so and so's, however they have come up with some good stuff, and currently the products they are developing look promising.

The Napkin PC which looks amazing (see below) is a product currently being made by Microsoft.

But a Payasyou go service for computing would be rubbish, because if you want internet access on top of that it'll end up being quite costly.

The only upside to this would be someone who doesn't use a computer much, and doesn't have internet access.

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2008/01/napkin_pc.jpg

Tim.
02-01-2009, 08:59 PM
- That nakpin looks amaze!

Flisker
03-01-2009, 03:38 PM
I read about this somewhere and they are doing this pay as you go thing for Microsoft Office suite.

Tim.
03-01-2009, 08:36 PM
I read about this somewhere and they are doing this pay as you go thing for Microsoft Office suite.

And oen valid point someone made on the forum is because theyre measuring it on Hard drive usage, aswell as CPU etc etc, It means they may just create more resource using programmes, as the more resources it uses the more it costs us. I think im right in saying this, dont quote me on it.

HotelUser
05-01-2009, 11:39 AM
and so would mac.
Both would suck.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!