PDA

View Full Version : Help with TV as monitor

RYANNNNN
02-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Ugh

I have my TV as a monitor using a HDMI to DVI. Obviously I can't get sound through that kind of connection.

I bought a stereo (3.5mm jack) to Phono but for some reason can't get sound still. Any suggestions?

Thread moved from 'Technology Discusson' by Yoshimitsui (Forum Super Moderator): Please post in the correct section in future.

N!ck
02-01-2009, 05:27 PM
It unfortunately won't work like that. You'll have to run the sound through your PC if you're using a DVI to HDMI connection.

What's the qualitly like by the way? I'm thinking off connecting like that.

RYANNNNN
02-01-2009, 05:33 PM
I connected the 3.5mm jack to the sound output and the other end to the TV (red and white connectors).

Two seperate wires..

N!ck
02-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I connected the 3.5mm jack to the sound output and the other end to the TV (red and white connectors).

Two seperate wires..

It won't work as TVs are designed to take the audio input from the HDMI, but since you're converting from DVI which has no audio stream it can't work. You'll have to use your PC speakers for the sound.

What is the image quality like?

RYANNNNN
02-01-2009, 05:42 PM
Image quality is fine, on a 32" 720p TV.

Is there any kind of splitter or anything I can get?

N!ck
02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Probably, but what's the problem with using your computer speakers?

RYANNNNN
02-01-2009, 05:47 PM
Probably, but what's the problem with using your computer speakers?

Too many wires

illegal
03-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Too many wires
http://www.puresilence.co.uk/catalog/images/cable-spiral-wrap-cable-wire-tidy-management-kit.jpg
Buy one of them, it's a cable/wire tidy. Then mass amounts of wires, is just one wire, I need to get one when I rewire my whole media setup (TV, Sky, DVD, PC, Laptop) on Monday.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!