PDA

View Full Version : Anime TTGL OVA?

PaulMacC
07-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Apparently there was one released, can someone link me and also in someones signature on animeftw.tv it said
Last watched - Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Parallel or something liek that.

Niall!
07-01-2009, 07:14 PM
It's a movie actually.

PaulMacC
07-01-2009, 07:15 PM
Someone link me, whats a movie parallel or the ova.
liek mah sig guyz!

Niall!
07-01-2009, 07:20 PM
There is no OVA as far as I'm aware, it's a movie you're thinking of.

Neversoft
07-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Actually there are two OVAs. One is an uncut verison of episode 6, which is bloody hilarious, and the other is a ten minute episode released to promote the DS game.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Parallel Works is a collection of eight official music videos using songs from the soundtrack.

There are two movies. The first movie is called Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Gurren-hen and covers the first half of the series, just before the time lapse, but hasn't been subbed yet since it hasn't been released on DVD. The second movie is called Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: Lagann-hen, it covers the rest of the series and is is due for release on the 25th of April.

I watched Parallel Works and the uncut OVA on YouTube, since that seems to be the only place you can find them. I posted links and everything in the Gurren Lagann thread, but here they are once again...

Episode 6 Uncut
Part 1 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zvAEHksAfOI) - Part 2 (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-CbUkPhRy4s)

DS Promotion OVA
Stream (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HKrciHnuOIc) - Download (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LWWOH3V0)

Just search 'Gurren Lagann Parallel Works' on YouTube to find them.

...and Paul, do you actually use MyAnimeList?

PaulMacC
07-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Yeah I do lol, my username is PaulMac

Neversoft
07-01-2009, 09:26 PM
You gave Monster only a 7!? I've heard it's like one of the best anime ever made countless times. :P I'm know as Touka on MAL, and pretty much every other site apart from this one. Add me if you want.

Nemo
07-01-2009, 09:52 PM
You gave Monster only a 7!? I've heard it's like one of the best anime ever made countless times. :P I'm know as Touka on MAL, and pretty much every other site apart from this one. Add me if you want.
Monster isnt all that amazing, its good, it has its crazy stuff and whatever, but it never REALLY gripped me. 7 sounds fair.

Neversoft
07-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Well it's you two against the world. :P

LewsAgain
08-01-2009, 01:18 AM
yo neversoft

and yeah, monster is pretty amazing in this context

Nemo
08-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Well it's you two against the world. :P
u cant trust that list thing all th etime though, its got some really strange listings.

Neversoft
08-01-2009, 10:57 PM
u cant trust that list thing all th etime though, its got some really strange listings.

Yes I can. I didn't base Monster on the MyAnimeList ratings by the way. :P

Nemo
08-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Yes I can. I didn't base Monster on the MyAnimeList ratings by the way. :P
What then?

oh and you know in gintama, with hijikata and all that, is that liek a real old story? or did they take the chars from peacemaker?

Neversoft
08-01-2009, 11:24 PM
What then?

oh and you know in gintama, with hijikata and all that, is that liek a real old story? or did they take the chars from peacemaker?

I've been told it's extremely good by tons of people, and haven't actually heard one bad thing about it other than some people saying it's really slow.

As for Hijikata, Kondo, Souji and the gang, the Shinsengumi were an actual Japanese police force in Japan during the late Edo period (1860-ish). Originally they were just a group of masterless samurai. I believe they formed the Shinsengumi due to Japan's growing fear of invasion and influence from other countries. Japan was a very isolated country back then, and were actually quite behind the times.

Peace Maker is actually one of the most historically accurate animes I have ever seen. Most of what you saw in that anime actually happened in real life. Nearly every character in the anime (excluding Saya and the like) is based on a real person, and nearly everything that happened in the anime (excluding the crappy Souji look-a-like part and that weird magic guy) actually happened in real life. Peace Maker makes use of the term 'Revere the Emperor, Expel the Barbarians' as well, which I think basically means to love and follow the emperor and help kill any invaders from other countries. Which was the big thing during the late Edo Period.

Gintama aren't copying or referencing Peace Maker, the Shinsengumi characters in Gintama are based off of the real Shinsengumi members (just like in Peace Maker), but they're just comedy versions of the characters while still keeping their personalities and appearences.

Nemo
08-01-2009, 11:53 PM
I've been told it's extremely good by tons of people, and haven't actually heard one bad thing about it other than some people saying it's really slow.

As for Hijikata, Kondo, Souji and the gang, the Shinsengumi were an actual Japanese police force in Japan during the late Edo period (1860-ish). Originally they were just a group of masterless samurai. I believe they formed the Shinsengumi due to Japan's growing fear of invasion and influence from other countries. Japan was a very isolated country back then, and were actually quite behind the times.

Peace Maker is actually one of the most historically accurate animes I have ever seen. Most of what you saw in that anime actually happened in real life. Nearly every character in the anime (excluding Saya and the like) is based on a real person, and nearly everything that happened in the anime (excluding the crappy Souji look-a-like part and that weird magic guy) actually happened in real life. Peace Maker makes use of the term 'Revere the Emperor, Expel the Barbarians' as well, which I think basically means to love and follow the emperor and help kill any invaders from other countries. Which was the big thing during the late Edo Period.

Gintama aren't copying or referencing Peace Maker, the Shinsengumi characters in Gintama are based off of the real Shinsengumi members (just like in Peace Maker), but they're just comedy versions of the characters while still keeping their personalities and appearences.
I see, thanks for clearing that up. So like the whole tetsu thing happened when he faced yoshida?

and that magic thing was soooo random, i didnt get it after he died, i was just like... O.o

and Monster is good i guess, but yeah i agree its slow.

it was a good anime, im not saying it was CRAP but ive seen better

Neversoft
09-01-2009, 01:09 AM
I see, thanks for clearing that up. So like the whole tetsu thing happened when he faced yoshida?

and that magic thing was soooo random, i didnt get it after he died, i was just like... O.o

and Monster is good i guess, but yeah i agree its slow.

it was a good anime, im not saying it was CRAP but ive seen better

I think the whole Tetsu vs Yoshida is exagerated. Tetsu was a real person, and he really was Hijikata's page. In the anime Tetsu fought Yoshi during the Ikedaya Incident, but it was never confirmed whether Tetsu was an actual member of the Shinsengumi before then or not. I've seen other anime in which Tetsu hasn't joined the Shinsengumi until much later on. He did not fight Yoshida, I highly, highly, highly doubt that, and Yoshida didn't kill his parents, but no one really knows when Tetsu joined the Shinsengumi. He might have been around Yoshida's time, he might have not. Theres no way he could have had any sort of conflict with him though, regardless.

No one really knows who killed Yoshida either. It's speculated that Souji killed him, and that is what happens in the anime so it's still following the history books correctly there. Did you know that Souji was actually the best samurai in the Shinsengumi. How badass is he? :8

Some of it is exagerated and some new things are added, but most of it is accurate. Hijikata really did torture that guy for information on the choshu's plan, Hijikata and Souji really did know each other at a young age and Kondo really did bring the Shinsengumi together, etc.

The whole magic and alchemy thing didn't fit in the series at all in my opinion. It's just filler, lol. All of that crap isn't in the manga, the manga is proper straight on Shinsengumi only and is even more accurate than the anime is. To be honest, Peace Maker really didn't have to be 24 episodes long. Cut out all of the comedy only episodes and the Souji look-alike and magic parts (which are what shouldn't be in there anyway) and it could probably be done in the standard 13 episodes. Although I kinda like that it's longer, more development and freedom. It's nice watching a kind of cool but standard samurai anime as well but then for the last few episodes it suddenly does a 180 and gets super hardcore and violent.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!