PDA

View Full Version : The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Niall!
10-01-2009, 12:22 AM
Anyone else ever watched it?

It's the only anime I've ever bought.
I'm also considering buying the light novels.

Also

http://i42.tinypic.com/2rzs551.jpg

Neversoft
10-01-2009, 01:33 AM
I've seen it, and it is an extremely enjoyable anime. Despite what people say though, it never was very memorable to me. I watched it, loved it, but then didn't really think about it anymore. It's amazing how it's basically spread throughout the entire world though. It's popularity is insane for an anime. I'd consider buying it if they didn't charge so much for the DVDs. Why do they only have special editions? What happened to the standard volumes? I don't want to pay double the price when all I want is the DVDs. :eusa_wall

Aparrently Newtype promised "big news about the Suzumiya Haruhi TV anime" in their March issue. Can't be about anything else other than the second season.

The fans have already gone mad. :P

"Fans have immediately split into two raging camps, those who regard this as provocation designed to stimulate interest about some lesser event, or perhaps a pathetic tidbit along the lines of Haruhi's new hairstyle, and those who think this to be the One True Announcement heralding the airdates for the new series."

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/wp-content/gallery/cache/29718__x_haruhi-new-season-perhaps-2.jpg

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/wp-content/gallery/cache/29719__448x_haruhi-new-season-perhaps.jpg

Niall!
10-01-2009, 10:28 AM
They won't change her hairstyle, or is that officially confirmed?

If so, looks horrible.

And yeah, it's pretty expensive, but worth it. I love the series and know the full ending dance from the special ending on the DVD.

Also, I've been waiting for season 2 since I saw this, and I don't think it'll come out, but I can always hope!

Also

http://i44.tinypic.com/2mnej2v.jpg

Neversoft
10-01-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't know if it's official or not, but looks like Newtype has a few things to say about it. I think there is a chance they might change her hairstyle.

The Hare Hare Yukai? :P What things do you get in the special edition by the way? I know you get a CD of some sort, but what else?

Also, did you watch the series in aired or chronological order?

Southe,
10-01-2009, 02:36 PM
Mate use to go on about it alot even made a tshirt lol with the H, anyway looking onine. playusa has the complete collection for 22.99

Special Features

Textless Opening
Textless Ending
TV broadcast previews
Nekoman galleries
Making of Haruhi Suzumiya clips
The Adventures of the ASOS Brigade
http://www.playusa.com/DVD/Region_1/3-/5599060/-/Product.html
So meh. might buy it next month im prefering to buy series in box sets now. usually get extras like that.

Neversoft
10-01-2009, 03:12 PM
I only buy Region 2 stuff.

Southe,
10-01-2009, 06:30 PM
why? most dvds now are region free. and you get more choice, and more for your money :S

Neversoft
10-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Quite simply because I don't have a reigon free DVD player. Region 2 DVDs are often better anyway. The Region 2 Death Note DVDs have 8 episodes per volume instead of 4, and Bandai are releasing special versions of Gurren Lagann for Europe only. I would like to get my hands on some Region 1 stuff though. A lot of anime distributors have a third party company distributing their DVDs over here now, and waiting just plain sucks. Plus it will be nice to buy DVDs knowing that the BBFC havn't messed around with them. The Region 2 boxset for Paranoia Agent is cut by atleast 1 minute. It would make the world a better place if most DVDs were region free, but they're not. Where'd you get that idea?

Anyway, how much does it cost for a region free DVD player these days? I actually think my dad's is region free and he got that many years ago... must be cheap now.

Niall!
10-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Loads of extras.

Yes Chirs the Hare Hare Yuki. Yeah so what it's fun.

Can only do Haruhi's part and Kyons part though.

Neversoft
10-01-2009, 08:09 PM
So what? I know it's fun. :P TMoHS has the best ending ever tbh.

Niall!
10-01-2009, 08:10 PM
So what? I know it's fun. :P TMoHS has the best ending ever tbh.

The opening is good to, it's probably one of my favourites.

Paul is refusing to watch this cuz there's no action lol.

The few scenes of action in it are exceptional, such as Yuki fighting.

Neversoft
10-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Yuki is hardcore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/ixthedamned/Episode10-1.jpg

That fight totally took me by surprise though. :P The whole series did infact. The mystery episodes were surprisingly good, and all of the twists just kept getting better and better. Also, the music performance in episode 12 was amazing.

Paul, watch something different for a change! :P Fighting anime gets boring after a while. Unless it's Sword of the Stranger... I can watch that 100 times and still enjoy it.

Btw Nail you never answered me about what order you watched it in... did you watch it in aired or chronological order? I watched it in aired ordered since I heard that was the best way to watch it.

Niall!
10-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Yuki is hardcore.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v106/ixthedamned/Episode10-1.jpg

That fight totally took me by surprise though. :P The whole series did infact. The mystery episodes were surprisingly good, and all of the twists just kept getting better and better. Also, the music performance in episode 12 was amazing.

Paul, watch something different for a change! :P Fighting anime gets boring after a while. Unless it's Sword of the Stranger... I can watch that 100 times and still enjoy it.

Btw Nail you never answered me about what order you watched it in... did you watch it in aired or chronological order? I watched it in aired ordered since I heard that was the best way to watch it.

Oh sorry, didn't see the question.

I watched it in DVD order, which is chronological.
I didn't know at the time it had aired any other way, as I downloaded the dvds before buying them.

Southe,
10-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Quite simply because I don't have a reigon free DVD player. Region 2 DVDs are often better anyway. The Region 2 Death Note DVDs have 8 episodes per volume instead of 4, and Bandai are releasing special versions of Gurren Lagann for Europe only.

Time to upgrade your dvd player then lol, dvd players are cheap as chips now, Yes i agree that sometimes the region 2 dvds can be better but not always. Death note dvds yes you have 8 eps. But there done by MANGA entertainment who suck to be frank. only ever sub the dub. and now they change a few things round now because people complained. But US has lots more box sets for series ect while we still only get 4 ep dvds

I would like to get my hands on some Region 1 stuff though. A lot of anime distributors have a third party company distributing their DVDs over here now, and waiting just plain sucks.

Indeed it does thats why i buy from US now. and it works out cheaper that way aswell. well. you saved alot more before credit crunch lol

Plus it will be nice to buy DVDs knowing that the BBFC havn't messed around with them. The Region 2 boxset for Paranoia Agent is cut by atleast 1 minute.

Oh? how do you mean cut a minute? a minutes worth of stuff has been removed? Might look for a US version then xD

It would make the world a better place if most DVDs were region free, but they're not. Where'd you get that idea?

Anyway, how much does it cost for a region free DVD player these days? I actually think my dad's is region free and he got that many years ago... must be cheap now.

My living room dvd player isnt region free. but it can play most of the dvds i buy meaning the discs themselfs arent region locked. i know my DBZ sets arent. Just depends on whos doing the dvds. can get dvd players now for as little as £10 and most are region free anyway dont think it states its region free.

Yea i was bored decided to pick apart your post :eusa_whis

Neversoft
10-01-2009, 09:51 PM
Oh sorry, didn't see the question.

I watched it in DVD order, which is chronological.
I didn't know at the time it had aired any other way, as I downloaded the dvds before buying them.

Ah I see. I downloaded it as well but it was already in the aired order. Have you seen it in the aired order? Since you downloaded it and bought the DVDs I assume you've seen it more than once?

Time to upgrade your dvd player then lol, dvd players are cheap as chips now, Yes i agree that sometimes the region 2 dvds can be better but not always. Death note dvds yes you have 8 eps. But there done by MANGA entertainment who suck to be frank. only ever sub the dub. and now they change a few things round now because people complained. But US has lots more box sets for series ect while we still only get 4 ep dvds

I'm the kind of person who never updates or buys something new unless I have to. I only downloaded Firefox for the first time two weeks ago. I ran Internet Explorer into the ground. I never updated IE either, I was still on the one without the tabs. :P I had like three TV's last year as well, because they kept breaking. But instead of buying a new one I just kept using our tiny old ones we had in the loft, until I managed to get a decent sized TV for free. :8 I've had my DVD player and VHS for years as well, my DVD player is actually starting to die on me, it has trouble recogising disc's these days, but it works if I keep whacking it. Yeah Manga suck but aren't they the licensors in America as well? Therefore it should be exactly the same, only the Region 2 volumes have double the amount of episodes. Also, they don't only ever sub the dub. :P I know I always complain about their subtitles, but I got The Girl Who Leapt Through Time a while back (which was released by Manga Entertainment) and they actually subbed it using the Japanese script this time. The subtitles were extremely good. I think they actually use the Japanese script for Ghost in the Shell, Akira and Read or Die as well. I'm not sure about Bleach but the subtitles are pretty godo on there, however if I remember correctly they are quite americanized... which sucks. Death Note is actually like the only one where the subs absolutely suck now that I think about it. :S I agree with the fact that they have more boxsets. I'm not against Region 1 DVDs or anything, lol. It's only natural more things are released in American than over here, because theres more demand, and the UK is tiny compared to the USA.

Indeed it does thats why i buy from US now. and it works out cheaper that way aswell. well. you saved alot more before credit crunch lol

Well I always bought my DVDs from Amazong. They were never expensive to begin with. Around £10 per volume, £5 for some. Free delivery as well. If I buy Region 1 DVDs it wouldn't really be about saving money for me, more about getting stuff I can't over here.

Oh? how do you mean cut a minute? a minutes worth of stuff has been removed? Might look for a US version then xD

One minute has been cut from episode 8 because a little girl is involved in an attempted suicide scene. What sucks even more is that that certain episode is a comedy, it's not serious. You might ask how does comedy fit with suicide, but it just does in Paranoia Agent. :P There was no need to cut it basically. Thankfully thats the only scene thats been cut though, no other editing has been done. They still slapped an 18 on it though. How does Paranoia Agent get an 18 but Elfen Lied gets a 15?

My living room dvd player isnt region free. but it can play most of the dvds i buy meaning the discs themselfs arent region locked. i know my DBZ sets arent. Just depends on whos doing the dvds. can get dvd players now for as little as £10 and most are region free anyway dont think it states its region free.

I tried shopping around for a region free DVD player last year and only specific ones were region free, most still aren't region free, and I'm sure most anime DVDs aren't region free as well. You sure you DVD player isn't region free?

Yea i was bored decided to pick apart your post :eusa_whis

This post took surprisingly long to type because you picked apart my post. :'(

Niall!
10-01-2009, 11:16 PM
I haven't watched in the aired order, I tried it and it made no sense whatsoever.

Neversoft
10-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Well it's not going to make any sense if you only 'try' it. I watched it in the aired order and It made complete sense to me after I finished it. It does have to be watched from beginning to end before it makes sense, however.

Niall!
11-01-2009, 12:01 AM
Only downfall with chronological is crap ending. Yuki reading for half an hour was boring.

Also, pic related, it's my religion.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2lbdjiw.jpg

Neversoft
11-01-2009, 12:36 AM
They should replace the standard stained glass windows in church's with that.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!