PDA

View Full Version : Partitioning Problems [+REP]

Kevin
13-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Hey,

I'm trying to partition my laptop so I can run two operating systems, at the moment it's proving quite difficult, hopefully there is a solution.

http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/99593334c1738b1computer_managment.jpg

On windows vista you are allowed a maximum of four partitions, above you can see that four are used, but two of them arnt being directly used by me.

Apparently dell create three extra partitions for bios,recovery,system logos ect, Only one of them I am actully using for vista which is (C:).

Is there any way around this, Do any of you have dell's and tried to partition? or even better successfully doing it, The computer in question is a Dell 1521 Laptop.

Thank for you reading, all post's, relative of course will receive + REP

Thank you,

Kevin

The Professor
13-01-2009, 05:35 PM
I've never heard of a partition limit, I have a friend who has about 10 OS's on his PC! Have you tried doing it using another program instead of Vista's?

scottish
13-01-2009, 05:37 PM
http://oldfiles.org.uk/powerload/fat32/fat8.htm

24 max partitions? :P

Kevin
13-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I think that creates extended partitions but you cant boot from extended partitions, I think it's 4 max partitions per hd

scottish
13-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Is there actually anything on your current partitions? :P

Kevin
13-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Is there actually anything on your current partitions? :P

Well according to the screenshot, there is a fair bit of memory used on each partition, and according to the internet both partitions are needed for startup.

Decode
13-01-2009, 06:46 PM
When I got my Dell I had the recovery partition, but I removed it and my system is okay :P As long as you have the install disk you can remove it. Also couldn't you use the unallocated space?

scottish
13-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Decode; only allowed 4 partitions, she shrinked a previous one to make the unallocated space.

And Kevin i meant like was it necessary stuff or are you using it for say music/videos etc :P but nvm

If the current partitions aren't bootable partitions change them to extended? as you can only have 4 MBR partitions.

Decode
13-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Decode; only allowed 4 partitions, she shrinked a previous one to make the unallocated space.

I know, I was suggesting removing the Recovery partition.

:job2
13-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry to steal your thread but im having partitioning trouble as well.

Basicly I used the recovery partition on my Dell to install windows 7, but after installing it I now only have like 500mb left on that partition. Is there any way I could take a bit off the vista partition and add it to the 7 partition?

scottish
13-01-2009, 10:12 PM

Basicly I used the recovery partition on my Dell to install windows 7, but after installing it I now only have like 500mb left on that partition. Is there any way I could take a bit off the vista partition and add it to the 7 partition?

Right click the partition then shrink in the disk management (open Computer management then click disk management, right click Vista partition click shrink. then put more into the 7.

Decode
13-01-2009, 10:19 PM

You could shrink the vista one by about 10gb. Then use a program like partition logic to move the vista partition over to make space between the recovery and vista partition. Then expand the recovery partition.

Kevin
13-01-2009, 10:26 PM
You could shrink the vista one by about 10gb. Then use a program like partition logic to move the vista partition over to make space between the recovery and vista partition. Then expand the recovery partition.

Will that work for my problem aswell?

:job2
14-01-2009, 06:45 PM
I have shrunk the vista partition my 7GB and its set as unallocated but when I right click the Windows 7 volume it doesn't let me press extend volume. Anyone know why?

scottish
14-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Should make your own thread, and google ;)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!