PDA

View Full Version : Maths A Level - To Drop Or Not To Drop?

Britvic
13-01-2009, 08:37 PM
I am currently facing a bit of a dilemna. I am in a Maths class studying A levels maths but I am so bored in the lessons. The lesson is of no interest to me and I'm not sure I'm studying it. I have been thinking about dropping this lesson for a long time but I'm not sure whether I should or not.

I am studying four other A levels: english, psychology, sociology and biology. I wanted to have 5 a level but this lesson just bores me so much. The work is so hard, in a test recently I got 7 out of 31 although I am predicted a B. I have done better than this in other tests.

I would preferably like to get an A in all of my subjects but that is highlt improbably with maths.

I have spoken to some of my friends about droping maths but one of them told me that I won't get into university without an a level in maths. Is this true?

I really need some advice as I have no idea what to do.

dirrty
13-01-2009, 08:39 PM
it depends on what course you wanna take at uni. if its maths related, then you'll probably need it at alevel. if not, then probably not. don't drop it without talking to your teacher first and see what he/she has to say.

Kardan
13-01-2009, 08:40 PM
You don't need an A-Level in Maths to get into university, unless of course, you wanted to do a Maths-related course.

As for dropping it, that's your decision but if I was you I'd drop it.

Bun
13-01-2009, 09:38 PM
i'm in the same dilemma lol, i used to like it :(.

mangle
13-01-2009, 09:43 PM
I'd say if you can get a good grade than go for it, if it's a no brainer then why split your attention over 5 different sunbjects when you could do 4?

alexxxxx
13-01-2009, 09:46 PM
i'm with richard, i think you're doing too much and this is why you're slipping in maths.

Maths is a hard subject. I personally think you'd be very strong candidate for university places if you got 3/4 a leves including maths, english, biology tbh.

Mitch4?
13-01-2009, 10:42 PM
You don't need 5 A levels thats stupid.
if you want to get into a good university you only need 3
if you're going to like cambridge for example, they'll ask for 3 A's
or if you've took four subjects theyll ask for 4 A's, and if you take 5, theyllask for 5 A's
you're just making it harder on yourself tbh.

Immenseman
13-01-2009, 11:07 PM
:o you're from devon :)

i'd drop it, why do something you don't enjoy although if you manage to achieve a decent grade in the exam then universities obviously thing a lot higher of you, it's hardly media studies

Ostinato
14-01-2009, 01:09 AM
I went through the exact same dilema and came out the other side. :P

I was sitting it also and absolutely hated it and was doing it with 4 other subjects also. I basically had decided pretty much for certain that I didn't want to do and kinda convinced myself for all the wrong reasons (telling mysel it would be less work and everything and that I wouldn't need it for any course I wanted at uni).

After some talking with my girfriend and mum though, they managed to talk me round and it helped me see that even if I did sit it the worst I could do was fail. You may end up doing crap in it, but who cares? At least you gave yourself the opportunity to do so rather than wondering forever "what if I passed it?".

I think you should just stick with it to be honest. It really isn't going to be easy at all, and all the moreso with doing 4 other subjects - take that from me as a fact.

However, I just accepted that and I decided to overcome it by putting in the hours of studying. It meant cutting down hours of social time and studyign for 3+ hours weeknights but it helped me understand the subject so much more - and once I actually understood what I was doing I began enjoying it once again.

If you really are still struggling why not just approch your teacher and ask them to go over what your struggling with, even if it's like some extra time or something? Or if you really need it you could maybe try and ask your mum for a tutor or something.

TO SUMMARISE :p Basically I went through the same thing, and yes people are different. There is no denying that it is going to be a challenge but if you put in the work and effort then there is no reason why you can't past as you definitely have the capability considering you are in the class in the first place!

I said I wouldn't need maths for uni, but it turns out I did as I am now studying Accounts after all that :P And from me nearly dropping the subject - I ended up getting a B and 4 A's :)

,Jess,
14-01-2009, 03:01 PM
I dropped maths but the difference was I was only doing 4 subjects at the time which meant when it came to this year I didn't have the optio to drop one and I now wish I hadn't dropped maths because I hate one of my other subjects :P.

I know you are doing more subjects so maybe it would be easier to drop maths but I think you should keep going at it, there's only a few months of the school year left so it would be a shame to throw away all the work you have done?

Like others have said just try and put more work into maths and maybe you will start to enjoy it once you understand it. If you don't get an A in everything don't let it get to you (I'm presuming you're at AS level). You could drop maths at the end of this year and have the AS grade along with the full A level grades you gain next year.

So when you do apply to university it will look a lot better and you would have those extra UCAS points if maybe you didn't quite get the grade you wanted in another subject.

Good luck with whatever you choose though :)

BlueEyedSarah
14-01-2009, 03:54 PM
I think you should stick to maths because it is important in life. A lot of jobs look at your maths grade. Stick to it.

Alkaz
15-01-2009, 03:13 PM
GCSE is sufficent at most universities unless you want to do a course which is like majoirty maths, then obviously you would need it at AS/A2 level. I want to get into architecture and thought I needed maths but my old art teacher and my PD teacher were architects and didnt have maths A levels and because I couldnt do the work I dropped. I also looked at the top uni's to see if I would need A level maths and I wouldnt. So for you, id look at what course's you need to do and look at the top in the UK and if they require it for what you want to do then stick at it.

Also, like mentioned talk to your teacher aswell about your concerns they may be able to help you.

StripedTiger
15-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Look, ignore everyone else for now.
Find out which uni course you want to take, find out the requirements, and if you do need maths, your stuck with it. If you dont need maths, then listen to the others about what they suggest

JackBuddy
15-01-2009, 04:38 PM
If you don't enjoy it then drop it. You will lose all motivation for the subject and that could easily backfire.

Angel-Light
16-01-2009, 12:45 AM
Look, ignore everyone else for now.
Find out which uni course you want to take, find out the requirements, and if you do need maths, your stuck with it. If you dont need maths, then listen to the others about what they suggest

Go with what Steph has said. You don't want to be down the line where you have dropped Maths and found out you needed it. Do your research into Universities now rather than later. I started researching about 2 years before I had to pick but that was just me being very weird :P

Hazzles
16-01-2009, 01:34 PM
It gets hard.
REALLY hard.
So yeah, I know what I'd do yet for some reason am still doing maths..

Britvic
16-01-2009, 09:04 PM
I went through the exact same dilema and came out the other side. :P

I was sitting it also and absolutely hated it and was doing it with 4 other subjects also. I basically had decided pretty much for certain that I didn't want to do and kinda convinced myself for all the wrong reasons (telling mysel it would be less work and everything and that I wouldn't need it for any course I wanted at uni).

After some talking with my girfriend and mum though, they managed to talk me round and it helped me see that even if I did sit it the worst I could do was fail. You may end up doing crap in it, but who cares? At least you gave yourself the opportunity to do so rather than wondering forever "what if I passed it?".

I think you should just stick with it to be honest. It really isn't going to be easy at all, and all the moreso with doing 4 other subjects - take that from me as a fact.

However, I just accepted that and I decided to overcome it by putting in the hours of studying. It meant cutting down hours of social time and studyign for 3+ hours weeknights but it helped me understand the subject so much more - and once I actually understood what I was doing I began enjoying it once again.

If you really are still struggling why not just approch your teacher and ask them to go over what your struggling with, even if it's like some extra time or something? Or if you really need it you could maybe try and ask your mum for a tutor or something.

TO SUMMARISE :p Basically I went through the same thing, and yes people are different. There is no denying that it is going to be a challenge but if you put in the work and effort then there is no reason why you can't past as you definitely have the capability considering you are in the class in the first place!

I said I wouldn't need maths for uni, but it turns out I did as I am now studying Accounts after all that :P And from me nearly dropping the subject - I ended up getting a B and 4 A's :)

I dropped maths but the difference was I was only doing 4 subjects at the time which meant when it came to this year I didn't have the optio to drop one and I now wish I hadn't dropped maths because I hate one of my other subjects :P.

I know you are doing more subjects so maybe it would be easier to drop maths but I think you should keep going at it, there's only a few months of the school year left so it would be a shame to throw away all the work you have done?

Like others have said just try and put more work into maths and maybe you will start to enjoy it once you understand it. If you don't get an A in everything don't let it get to you (I'm presuming you're at AS level). You could drop maths at the end of this year and have the AS grade along with the full A level grades you gain next year.

So when you do apply to university it will look a lot better and you would have those extra UCAS points if maybe you didn't quite get the grade you wanted in another subject.

Good luck with whatever you choose though :)

Thank you so much you two!
I have decided that I am going to stick at it for AS and then my grade will determine whther I carry it on it for A2 or not.

Galactica
17-01-2009, 12:30 AM
I am currently facing a bit of a dilemna. I am in a Maths class studying A levels maths but I am so bored in the lessons. The lesson is of no interest to me and I'm not sure I'm studying it. I have been thinking about dropping this lesson for a long time but I'm not sure whether I should or not.

I am studying four other A levels: english, psychology, sociology and biology. I wanted to have 5 a level but this lesson just bores me so much. The work is so hard, in a test recently I got 7 out of 31 although I am predicted a B. I have done better than this in other tests.

I would preferably like to get an A in all of my subjects but that is highlt improbably with maths.

I have spoken to some of my friends about droping maths but one of them told me that I won't get into university without an a level in maths. Is this true?

I really need some advice as I have no idea what to do.

You don't need any A Levels to get into Uni you can take BTEC courses and get into uni.

AJKHoosier1
17-01-2009, 02:01 AM
I am not in the US, so can't say I know if it matters, but math is one of those things you should have at a high level.

I'd rather have more options open.

leah
18-01-2009, 12:45 PM
drop it maths sucks lol

Soy
19-01-2009, 04:10 PM
If you don't like it drop it. Then you can focus more on the subjects you preffer.

I'd rather have 3 A*'s than 4 B's

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!