PDA

View Full Version : Watercooling..

scottish
13-01-2009, 09:17 PM
k later this week im gonna buy the stuff (well probably next week time paypal gets money and stuff)

but basically when i do the 24 hour leak test i'll be sleeping and at skl most of the time, so i don't wanna go and let it leak but what would you sugges tto put on mobo and stuff so it doesn't leak into it? :P

Just like a few layers of kitchen roll or something? xD

N!ck
13-01-2009, 09:47 PM
On an antistatic bag with some kitchen roll on it is my suggestion. Is the liquid you're testing with electrically conductive?

scottish
13-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Feser One Cooling Fluid - UV BLUE :P

Stephen!
13-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Mate, you really should be there for most of the time while leak testing. It is a long but very important stage. If you're at school or sleeping and it starts to leak, it will add up and nothing will protect
your stuff

to be honest i didn't use any protection at all mainly due to the fact that it didn't have anything to leak on apart from the bottom of the case. I had removed everything apart from the motherboard. I actually only leak tested for 12 hours because I was sure that it would be fine. A week later my res started to leak.

scottish
13-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Mm. Ill do 24 hr leak test yeh i'll remove everything but mobo aswell, only 2 things below it (Gfx + ethernet) when you leak tested did you buy atx bridge or just change the 24 pin atx adapter?

now i gotta convince parents its worth buying lols.

Stephen!
13-01-2009, 10:43 PM
I just used a paperclip to jump the PSU. Remember it's the green wire to any of the black wires

by the way I forgot to mention. You may have a little problem with the amount of coolant your going to buy.

Before you assemble your loop, you need to clean out your parts. this involves running about 2 litres of distilled water (or feser one coolant in your case) through your radiator prior to it being used. You also need to disasemble your CPU block and clean it thoroughly using 91-99% alcohol and a q-tip. You really should not skip cleaning them both. The reason you want to clean them (especially the radiator) is that alot of oils and fluids are left behind in the system from the manufacturing process. By putting 2 litres of distilled water and 1 litre of warm distilled water through it, it makes sure there's nothing left in there that can contaminate your system.

As you can see, it's going to get pretty expensive to buy 4 litres of pre-mixed dye. I am still adamant that distilled water and a custom dye is both cheaper and performs slightly better than that premade stuff.

scottish
13-01-2009, 10:51 PM
yh i just got a bridge only like £1.19 or somit.

also getting

CPU Block ------------- XSPC Delta V3 CPU Waterblock
Radiator --------------- XSPC RS240 Black
Pump ------------------ XSPC 12V X20 Compact 750
Hose/Tubing ---------- 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Blue/UV Blue Hose (XSPC) (2m)
Hose/Tubing ---------- 1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Clear Hose (XSPC) (2m)
Hose/Tubing ---------- 7/16" ID - 5/8" OD Clear hose (XSPC) (2m)
Hose/Tubing ---------- 7/16" ID - 5/8" OD Clear/UV Blue Hose (XSPC) (1m)
Tape ------------------- PTFE Tape
Clips ------------------- Zinc Plated Jubilee Wormdrive Clip 3/4" OD (10pk)
Liquid ------------------ Feser One Cooling Fluid - UV Blue (2x)
Liquid ------------------ Feser One Cooling Fluid - UV Acid Green
Anti coil ---------------- 19mm Clear UV Blue HelixCoilsLCDLCD Display Temperature Sensor (blue)
Fans ------------------- Xilence Pro Fan 120L 1300RPM 120mm - LED Blue (2x)
Backplate ------------- LGA 775 Motherboard Back Plate
PSU Bridge ------------ ATX PSU Bridging Tool 24 Pin

Stephen!
13-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Why are you getting different coloured UV dyes and different tube sizes? You want to keep the same tubing size all the way through so that equal pressure can be maintained.

scottish
13-01-2009, 10:54 PM
i'm gonna use the 7/16" no doubt but wna check them both so :P

Stephen!
13-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Ok well I do wish you luck with it. For me it was interesting yet hard work to get it up and running, but I did enjoy it. If you would like you could inform me of when you are building and i'll be online to give any help if you need it. If you don't crap yourself when you first turn the pump on and off to get the water round your system, I applaud you - you'll be a better man than I. :P

No doubt the hardest part will be getting the tubing on the pump. With 7/16" it looked impossible for me. But then I tried dipping the end of the tubing into boiling hot water for a minute and then tried again - worked perfectly.. tubing stretched over the hole perfectly.

scottish
13-01-2009, 11:02 PM
meh if it leaks it'll only kill my £140 motherboard nothing to fear :P:P joke..

I'll need to convince parents its worthwhile, thats the hard bit :P considering its not worth while and a complete waste of cash doesn't help me cause :P:P

Stephen!
13-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Nah you won't kill it. The guy who I bought my kit off (petra's) did a video to show how much coolant was actually needed to damage a computer. While the computer was running, he managed to pour just over a litre of coolant onto the motherboard before it crapped out on him

scottish
13-01-2009, 11:08 PM
Got link to video?

i got few people on msn to help me (from other forums), so should be fine if im allowed to buy ^^

Stephen!
13-01-2009, 11:09 PM
http://blog.petrastech.com/index.php?itemid=7

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!