PDA

View Full Version : Popstars - The Rivals

Alkaz
16-01-2009, 09:04 PM
We are all aware of PSTR yes? If not, basically, it was the second show like this in the 21st century after Popstars which gave us Hear'say and Liberty X, anyway this time around they wanted to make a girl band and a boy band to rival each other in the charts, hence the name of the show. Well, one true voice won for the boys and girls aloud won for the girls.

OTV to me have to be one of the lamest boy bands in the world now, came from the same show, same time, released single same time as girls aloud who happen to be one of, if not the most successful girl band in the world.

OTV: (singles)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7ruzv5yVbO8&feature=related
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bEU7RF20A8Q&feature=channel

GA: (ablums)
Sound of the Underground (15s) - UK platinum
What Will the Neighbours Say? (14s) - UK platinum - IRE 2x platinum
Chemistry (21s) - UK platinum - IRE platinum
The Sound of Girls Aloud (23s) - UK 2x platinum - IRE platinum
Tangled Up (12s) - UK platinum - IRE gold
Out of Control (12s) - no certification yet

GA: (singles)(one from each album)
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OnLrNHCQPP0
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iFuBOtfs370
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRhiuFKmdc
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Qo_CeBtQnjU
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UHoF3a6Q9Wk
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=S76h0ZpTXbg

So ye, girls aloud have had the most consecutive top 10 hits EVER, 6 UK platinum albums, 1 gold, 4 IRE platinum albums, 1 gold. One true voice, probably 2 top 40 singles.

Girls aloud totally OWNED them :D
''GA: We are sexy!!''
''OTV: No No No''
''GA: Can you catch us.. no no no''

Britvic
16-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for this!
What does (15s) (14s) etc stand for?

dirrty
16-01-2009, 09:56 PM
girls aloud are no way near one of the most successful bands in the world....

Kardan
16-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks for this!
What does (15s) (14s) etc stand for?

15 songs, 14 songs etc.

Alkaz
16-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Ohh ye, (14 singles) etc. And if you re-read, it does infact say girl band, not band.

dirrty
16-01-2009, 09:59 PM
wow sorry.
girls aloud are no way near one of the most successful GIRLbands in the world....
the UK, probably yeah but worldwide, no.

Alkaz
16-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Well I did say one of the most sucessful. Sorry for saying and possibley the most, all the other bands I can think of is the PCD and Spice Girls :S

Liz♥
16-01-2009, 10:05 PM
true story babe, girls aloud are the most successful girl group of all time. successful yes because it beats the supremes & destinys child combined. the bbc tend to not state lies nor does channel 4. They will crack USA eventually because cowell wants chery cole to be huge in the states and nadine already lives there and despite them hesitating starting from the beginning, it's stated in their contract to go international. if they do well, canada & australia will follow

spice girls - gold diggers who can no longer sing
destinys child - broke up like 3 times, kelly & beyonce are best off going solo forever
the supremes - yeh diana may of effected music r&b all together but not my type I guess ^^
PCD - 1 singer... 1 transexual & 4 people moaning into a mic. I proudly introduce PCD! (Did you always notice whenever that blonde gets the chance, she always lifts her leg)
Sugababes - Their latest album failed and barely sold 100k whereas Girls Alouds was released a week later and sold 600k. They're full of themselves and died when Mutya left despite About You Now being good.
Girls Aloud - Girls Aloud are the most successful girl group of all time with 19 consecutive top ten hits and getting themselves in the Guinness world of records!

Alkaz
16-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Trust Liizziiee to come through with the true facts! GA FOR LIFE x

dirrty
16-01-2009, 11:48 PM
theres no doubt girls aloud are one of the most successful girlbands in the UK. but worldwide, their single/album sales dont even come close to those of spice girls, destinys child and TLC. sure they've stopped now, but they're still the most successful worldwide.

brandon
16-01-2009, 11:50 PM
It's pretty obvious Girls Aloud have done a lot better than One True Voice you don't need to read facts to know that

Joord
16-01-2009, 11:55 PM
girls aloud cant call themselves most successful/best-selling girlband until they break america and have sales above 60 million...

probably wont even get top 10 girlbands until like 10 million sales.

JackBuddy
17-01-2009, 05:11 PM
I thought that Sugababes are the most successful girl band in terms of top 10 hits?

TopManTim
17-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Sugababes have had 16 top 10's, Girls Aloud have had 19.

That's if wiki is correct anyway.

Virgin Mary
17-01-2009, 06:34 PM
Spice Girls were far more successful and much more of a cultural phenomenon than Girls Aloud. Not only do the Spice Girls lay claim to the best selling album by a girl group ever but also loads of merchandise, their own movie etc.

clueless
17-01-2009, 06:41 PM
urgh i cant stand people who think girls aloud are better than the spice girls!

stickwitu
17-01-2009, 10:46 PM
sugababes have better album sales than GA so they're technically not the biggest selling UK girl group anyway...

TopManTim
17-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Yeah for ages sugababes have had bigger selling albums however they've just had their worst selling album ever, selling like 80k and Girls Aloud's latest album has gone 2 x Platinum (600k+).

stickwitu
18-01-2009, 02:30 PM
that's because sugababes don't have a large fixed fanbase like girls aloud,
they sell based on their singles - this time round the singles were crap and didn't represent the quality on the album at all.

we all know a major part of girls aloud selling so well this time round is because of cheryl being a judge on the x-factor and tarnishing up a high celeb status.

Alkaz
18-01-2009, 02:34 PM
cheryl has only been an x factor judge for like 4 months, compared to the 6 years they been around its not long so I dont think thats got anything to do with it.

Eamonn
18-01-2009, 11:53 PM
urgh i cant stand people who think girls aloud are better than the spice girls!

why not?

girls aloud are much more talented singers (nadine could easily outsing them all)
can dance just as well (cheryl could easily outdance them all)
hotter (sporty spice and a gold tooth ew. both have gingers, cancels out LOL.)

still spice girls are mint. they paved the way for girl groups, but if GA came out before spice girls, it could easily have been v. different.

clueless
19-01-2009, 01:44 AM
because i dont believe girls aloud would have existed without spice girls!

PaintYourTarget
19-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Long story short, I'd rather give Girls Aloud one.

stickwitu
19-01-2009, 09:03 PM
why not?

girls aloud are much more talented singers (nadine could easily outsing them all)
can dance just as well (cheryl could easily outdance them all)
hotter (sporty spice and a gold tooth ew. both have gingers, cancels out LOL.)

still spice girls are mint. they paved the way for girl groups, but if GA came out before spice girls, it could easily have been v. different.

i don't believe that girls aloud are more talented.
i think both groups have their weak singers, nadine and mel c being the strongest from each - although nadine definitely isn't the best live (that's nicola and sarah exc. THAT performance on gmtv).

still, i prefer sugababes over both of those groups. they're a step ahead in live performances.

Liz♥
19-01-2009, 11:12 PM
i don't believe that girls aloud are more talented.
i think both groups have their weak singers, nadine and mel c being the strongest from each - although nadine definitely isn't the best live (that's nicola and sarah exc. THAT performance on gmtv).

still, i prefer sugababes over both of those groups. they're a step ahead in live performances.

that's just one bad peformance. try the girls aloud party or how about you try watching them live. nerves of t.v shows such as x factor effect someones vocals and because of the fact they were made through a talent show emphasises on the fact they are talented. that's like saying leona lewis isn't talented then... they don't pick random girls, they were picked because of their talent

sugababes are so desperate they go to butlins and habbo whereas girls aloud can fill the o2 three times in a row and the sugababes can't fill it once and what's that got to tell you? a bigger fan base must mean people like them for a reason possibly................. sugababes are so desperate to keep alive, there's only 1 member remaining and one of them is in cbb

Alkaz
19-01-2009, 11:16 PM
Im pretty sure girls aloud are popular world wide anyway, maybe not in america but in other big countries they are. I always seen them on utube in australia and other countries. And ye like liz said, they do anything they can for publicity. Also, the suga babes arent really the sugababes no more, two of the original three members left and 3 have been replaced snice then? Girls aloud are all still their.

clueless
20-01-2009, 04:06 PM
you cant really base girls alouds talent on the fact that they won a talent competition because remember popstars was one of the first ones. if you listen to their auditions they really aren't that amazing. the standard has gone up so much and tons of people can sing just as well as they can.
i don't think they are talented, yeah they can dance and put on a show but singing wise they are pretty average.
not saying spice girls can sing but at least they have their originality to back them up.

Virgin Mary
20-01-2009, 04:39 PM
If you're suddenly going to start comparing based on talent because it turns out Girls Aloud haven't sold the most records, then groups like Destiny's Child and Sugababes beat them. They lose out for not having a black in their group.

stickwitu
20-01-2009, 06:45 PM
that's just one bad peformance. try the girls aloud party or how about you try watching them live. nerves of t.v shows such as x factor effect someones vocals and because of the fact they were made through a talent show emphasises on the fact they are talented. that's like saying leona lewis isn't talented then... they don't pick random girls, they were picked because of their talent

sugababes are so desperate they go to butlins and habbo whereas girls aloud can fill the o2 three times in a row and the sugababes can't fill it once and what's that got to tell you? a bigger fan base must mean people like them for a reason possibly................. sugababes are so desperate to keep alive, there's only 1 member remaining and one of them is in cbb

sorry but they're not that good, definitley not as good as you and their fanbase make out. they can sell out arenas but that doesn't neccesarily mean they're good - just more people like them because they're more typical cliche camp pop which is favoured more so in the UK. sounds like i hit an obvious nerve though with you attempting to **** off the babes.

and internationally, as far as talent goes Destiny's Child are the #1.

dirrty
20-01-2009, 06:47 PM
destinys child best girl band everrrrrrrr

Alkaz
21-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Destinys child, what made them popular is beyonce, not much else.
But ye, spice girls arent original? their were lots of popular girl groups who are still going today and are as popular as ever.

stickwitu
21-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Destinys child, what made them popular is beyonce, not much else.
But ye, spice girls arent original? their were lots of popular girl groups who are still going today and are as popular as ever.

yes because beyonce was famous before the group wasn't she? no. that's like saying what made girls aloud famous is a tv show - except wait, isn't that true? :$
what made them popular is the fact that they had AMAZING songs and brought r&b to the next level.

Liz♥
21-01-2009, 05:07 PM
sorry but they're not that good, definitley not as good as you and their fanbase make out. they can sell out arenas but that doesn't neccesarily mean they're good - just more people like them because they're more typical cliche camp pop which is favoured more so in the UK. sounds like i hit an obvious nerve though with you attempting to **** off the babes.

and internationally, as far as talent goes Destiny's Child are the #1.

is that all you got to say? that's just one persons opinon (corrupt may I add). the 300,000 people who saw them last year beg to differ.

destinys child may I add provide RnB whereas girls aloud provide pop so it's literally impossible to compare them. As girls bands yes but that's hard, but as music - i don't think so. If you're going to say sugababes are better than girls aloud, who's nominated for best group at the brits... Beyoncé made destinys child and kelly & michelle left in the past

it's argued that girls aloud have definitely have altered the history of girl bands and are the biggest girl group of this decade

alex also drop the attitude of that you think how I feel at the moment, stop with psychoanalysis crap and stick to the debate and if you're going to be immature then stop clicking reply and going GIRLS ALOUD R RUBBISH AND THEY'RE MANFACTURED POP in different ways - it's boring and over-used

Alkaz
21-01-2009, 10:40 PM
yes because beyonce was famous before the group wasn't she? no. that's like saying what made girls aloud famous is a tv show - except wait, isn't that true? :$
what made them popular is the fact that they had AMAZING songs and brought r&b to the next level.
only people i know is beyonce and kelly rowland, dont hear anyhing for the other girl or kelly. but you still hear stuff from beyonce and when they briefly spilt. soz for saying beyonce was only popular one.

Frodo13.
21-01-2009, 11:02 PM
The thing that annoys me about Girls Aloud is that they have never been able to get a Number 1 off their own backs:

Sound of the Underground: Winning song for a TV show
Stand By You: Charity Song
Walk This Way: Charity Song (and also had contribution from another band)
The Promise: Because it was released when Cheryl was ridding high on the X Factor.

Liz♥
22-01-2009, 01:50 PM
The thing that annoys me about Girls Aloud is that they have never been able to get a Number 1 off their own backs:

Sound of the Underground: Winning song for a TV show
Stand By You: Charity Song
Walk This Way: Charity Song (and also had contribution from another band)
The Promise: Because it was released when Cheryl was ridding high on the X Factor.

people will always say that, but how can you explain all the other number ones. It's called advertising and you can't blame the recording company for promoting the band, you don't know for a fact that it was because of those reasons above, because Stand By You was a children in need song and last year mcfly released a song for C.I.N... got nowhere. Not sure which chairy but spice girls released that headlines song and that got nowhere either. Sometimes it's nice to admit that they genuinely deserve the #1 as they're 5 talented girls who like to make pop music.

Eamonn
24-01-2009, 12:57 AM
the promise reached #1 because it's pure amaze :) the same reason it reached #1 on the uk airplay charts, something i'm sure cheryl has no impact on :rolleyes:

& dead at people even bringing the sugababes into this, their last two eras have been a mess, apart from the beginning of the change era, everything after has gone downhill. mutya was needed. keisha's nasel voice can't hold the group together :eusa_whis

Alkaz
24-01-2009, 01:23 PM
people will always say that, but how can you explain all the other number ones. It's called advertising and you can't blame the recording company for promoting the band, you don't know for a fact that it was because of those reasons above, because Stand By You was a children in need song and last year mcfly released a song for C.I.N... got nowhere. Not sure which chairy but spice girls released that headlines song and that got nowhere either. Sometimes it's nice to admit that they genuinely deserve the #1 as they're 5 talented girls who like to make pop music.
Well said both groups were popular but GA just have more variety and appeal to a wider audience too.

the promise reached #1 because it's pure amaze :) the same reason it reached #1 on the uk airplay charts, something i'm sure cheryl has no impact on :rolleyes:

& dead at people even bringing the sugababes into this, their last two eras have been a mess, apart from the beginning of the change era, everything after has gone downhill. mutya was needed. keisha's nasel voice can't hold the group together :eusa_whis
Ye, SB's should have finished when mutya left.

stickwitu
25-01-2009, 03:09 PM

i somehow think she does.
if you have a better public image you're more likely to get better radio support and x-factor has done wonders for cheryl
(see britney's blackout era and the airplay...)
(see how cheryl used to have the rep of being that ***** who abused a cleaner)

i don't agree sugababes should have ended when mutya left at all.
their new album is probably their strongest after "taller in more ways" (their best IMO)

and so sorry to hurt your feelings liz but OOC is a crap album compared to tangled up and GA haven't got my support this era at all. they're at the point now where it's just the same thing over and over again and it's pretty predictable.

N-Dubz
25-01-2009, 05:22 PM
TLC are the queen's and will always be the best.

Their second album, CrazyandCool(1994), was the first album by a female group to be awarded diamond cerifitcation by the RIAA for selling over 11 million copies in the USA and shipping over 15 million copies worldwide.

They have sold more than 44 million records worldwide and had #1 hit singles such as, Creep, Waterfalls, No Scrubs and Unpretty. According to the RIAA and Billboard, TLC has been certified for more than 22 million albums in the United States. In 2008, the group was inducted into the All Time Hot 100 Artist Hall of Fame

DONT BE DISSING MA TLC!!!!!!!

Alkaz
25-01-2009, 05:26 PM
TLC Who are they?

N-Dubz
25-01-2009, 05:33 PM
TLC Who are they?

Spice girls - 60 million
Destiny Child - 50 million
TLC - 45 million

according to wiki, the 3rd best selling girl band ever.

*sigh*

Alkaz
25-01-2009, 05:34 PM
:S I have never heard of them.

N-Dubz
25-01-2009, 05:35 PM
go look them up then... they was like 90's?????

im surprised really i am.

nearly everyones heard of "no scrubs"

stickwitu
25-01-2009, 05:36 PM

that's just embarassing.

waterfalls
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m-n-jZJhpT4

no scrubs
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Av7m_Pgt1S8

unpretty
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=4ejX0q3s0yY

Alkaz
25-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Ohh, I have heard their music, just not the name so calm your selves down.

clueless
25-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I love tlc
their music is timeless

dirrty
25-01-2009, 05:59 PM
tlc were well gd

Hushie
27-01-2009, 12:14 AM
I used to love TLC.
Sad that Lisa Lopes died :(

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!