PDA

View Full Version : Web Servers

Suspective
17-01-2009, 08:27 PM
My Uncle is giving me a web server in a couple of weeks, once he has set-up all the operating system's and details etc. Will I have to do anything to my computer - it is currently running XP SP1.

I would just like to know what I can do with it, and what programs I need. Can I set-up a hosting company with it (it is a web-server)?

If you know ANYTHING about Web Servers PLEASE post below. Reputation goes to good posts :)

It will be located in my house.

Dentafrice
17-01-2009, 08:28 PM
My Uncle is giving me a web server in a couple of weeks, once he has set-up all the operating system's and details etc. Will I have to do anything to my computer - it is currently running XP SP1.

I would just like to know what I can do with it, and what programs I need. Can I set-up a hosting company with it (it is a web-server)?

If you know ANYTHING about Web Servers PLEASE post below. Reputation goes to good posts :)
Is it going to be located at your house? His house? A data center? You need to provide us with more details.

Hitman
17-01-2009, 08:28 PM
Your ISP probably wont allowed you to use your web connection to host a site. The speeds would probably be slow aswell. That is if it's at your house.

Suspective
17-01-2009, 08:33 PM
It will be in my house.

Also it is only a Intel Core Processer 2 or something. Do I have to install Windows Server 2003+ - as he has it but he has loads of different servers.

Suspective
17-01-2009, 08:45 PM
Your ISP probably wont allowed you to use your web connection to host a site. The speeds would probably be slow aswell. That is if it's at your house.

I dont know anything about them, what software do you need?

Edited by ,Jess, (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not double post.

Jordy
17-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Linux is often better for web servers but that's totally irrelevant anyway. It's ridiculous that you're going to try run it from your home, it'll be so loud and have to be on 24/7, it'll drain your electricity bill.

Upload speeds in the UK are rubbish and it'll just eat your internet connection, not to mention your ISP probably doesn't allow it.

It's quite old so there's a fire risk having it on constantly and what if you have a power cut or it goes wrong? You can't host the websites then and you'd be cheating your customers as there'd be nothing you could do. Data centre's don't have any of these problems cause they can backup data easily, use new hardware and can redirect traffic to another server as soon as the server goes wrong.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!