PDA

View Full Version : ob_gzhandler

Jaysun
19-01-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm basically coding a basic user system and I can't remember where I read it but does ob-gzhandler make your pages load faster if included in the config file?

Trigs
20-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Yes, it compresses the page.

Iszak
20-01-2009, 04:24 AM
Personally, I don't think you should use it because you said it yourself a "basic user system" and therefore it should execute rather fast anyway. Plus I'm sure there's some cases where servers don't have the ob_gzhandler but disregard this if it's not going to be released. If your site is running / executing slow I would rather than use that try and find out why.

Agnostic Bear
20-01-2009, 04:32 AM
Personally, I don't think you should use it because you said it yourself a "basic user system" and therefore it should execute rather fast anyway. Plus I'm sure there's some cases where servers don't have the ob_gzhandler but disregard this if it's not going to be released. If your site is running / executing slow I would rather than use that try and find out why.

You should always use it if it's available, it saves bandwidth.

Iszak
20-01-2009, 05:32 AM
Unless it's like a massive site like MySpace, Youtube, Facebook I really doubt he's going to tear through a lot of bandwidth with a simple user system, I mean I doubt he'd even get through a one gigabyte of bandwidth so your comment is invalid for his situation.

Edit: Also, I'm sure by using it it'll add a longer execution time for the script because it's doing an extra operation. (Just so you don't get confused, when I say script I don't mean page.)

Agnostic Bear
20-01-2009, 06:09 AM
Unless it's like a massive site like MySpace, Youtube, Facebook I really doubt he's going to tear through a lot of bandwidth with a simple user system, I mean I doubt he'd even get through a one gigabyte of bandwidth so your comment is invalid for his situation.

Edit: Also, I'm sure by using it it'll add a longer execution time for the script because it's doing an extra operation. (Just so you don't get confused, when I say script I don't mean page.)

The amount of bandwidth used is irrelevant, it's always best to use as little bandwidth as possible. Also the time added is negligible.

Iszak
20-01-2009, 06:19 AM
What's the point of buying hosting with x amount of bandwidth when you're only using 0.025x of that bandwidth or something ridiculous, I would and I'm sure many others would rather make their script executes faster than to "save bandwidth" when they're not even using a fraction of the amount they've paid. It's really only worth it on a large scale or on limited bandwidth and last time I checked majority of hosting packages come with a lot of bandwidth.

Iszak
20-01-2009, 06:19 AM
Double post - lag.

Agnostic Bear
20-01-2009, 08:13 AM
What's the point of buying hosting with x amount of bandwidth when you're only using 0.025x of that bandwidth or something ridiculous, I would and I'm sure many others would rather make their script executes faster than to "save bandwidth" when they're not even using a fraction of the amount they've paid. It's really only worth it on a large scale or on limited bandwidth and last time I checked majority of hosting packages come with a lot of bandwidth.

You lose .0001 of a second from my tests turning ob_gzhandler on, that's nothing. Saving bandwidth is a very good thing, it doesn't matter how much the server has it's how fast the client is downloading it, the difference between a second and less than a second downloading is pretty big when it comes to it, considering most people wont visit a site unless it has seriously good content (which most sites from this forum don't) or it loads very quickly.

I am going out for coffee now. Because I'm great. You rapscalions can sit inside and code for a while whilst I'm gone then I can come back and shake my fist at you and slap you for doing a horrible job.

Iszak
20-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Look, honestly, for his project it's definitely not worth it you and I both know this. I'm sure no one who will be using his basic user system will use over a gigabyte of bandwidth. Also people viewing it are most likely to have high speed internet and the speed it takes to receive is insignificant. You've also got to remember that the server has got to compress it and the browser has to uncompress so that adds both to the execution of the script, and the reading of the page no matter how small it is it's just not worth it. Yes, use it on high volume traffic sites like Source TV but his, no. Argue all you want with yourself now.

Edit: I forgot to mention if he really must use it, I would recommend mod_gzip the apache module.

Agnostic Bear
20-01-2009, 10:44 AM
Look, honestly, for his project it's definitely not worth it you and I both know this.
Speak for yourself.

I'm sure no one who will be using his basic user system will use over a gigabyte of bandwidth.
Who cares? It's about keeping bandwidth down.

Also people viewing it are most likely to have high speed internet and the speed it takes to receive is insignificant.
No it's not, someone accessing from over the world will have a slower page load, compressing it makes it faster.

You've also got to remember that the server has got to compress it and the browser has to uncompress so that adds both to the execution of the script
Are you blind? I said it added .0001 to the time added on a properly coded script. For a .100 + second shrink it's definitely worth it.

and the reading of the page no matter how small it is it's just not worth it.
Yes it is, it's always worth it.

Yes, use it on high volume traffic sites like Source TV but his, no. Argue all you want with yourself now.
Nice cop-out.

Edit: I forgot to mention if he really must use it, I would recommend mod_gzip the apache module.
mod_gzip is outdated, mod_deflate is where it's at.

Source
20-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Jew, I don't get why your such an idiot on this forum, im guessing its down to your lack of social skills in the real world. This is someone argueing about PHP functions, trying to make it apparent that you are good when you couldn't even hold down a job, walking out because you couldn't meet deadlines. Now cut the frankly childish "throwing his toys out of the pram" attitude and give people decent answers that are not here to caus arguements.

Personally, there is no way you should need to use any form of compression on a user system, if anything it would make it longer as you have to compress is server side, then decompress client side.

Protege
20-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Jew, I don't get why your such an idiot on this forum, im guessing its down to your lack of social skills in the real world. This is someone argueing about PHP functions, trying to make it apparent that you are good when you couldn't even hold down a job, walking out because you couldn't meet deadlines. Now cut the frankly childish "throwing his toys out of the pram" attitude and give people decent answers that are not here to caus arguements.

Personally, there is no way you should need to use any form of compression on a user system, if anything it would make it longer as you have to compress is server side, then decompress client side.
lolpwnt +rep

Agnostic Bear
20-01-2009, 01:28 PM

I did, please read, please learn gzip, please make good posts, please note I walked out because I was bored.

Source
20-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Walking out because you were bored makes it any better? Seriously, how bad of a work-ethic can you have?

Agnostic Bear
20-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Walking out because you were bored makes it any better? Seriously, how bad of a work-ethic can you have?

No see I get bored with pretty much anything that isn't gaming. Problem I have.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!