PDA

View Full Version : Glort Supporting Definition?

Minstrels
20-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Come on then, I'm bored. What is the definition of a glory supporter? Feel free to use a user on this forum as an example.

For me it's someone who does not attend games, claims they are not a glory supporter because they pay for Sky TV, try and irritate other fans for signing players or not winning because their team wins "everything" and acts as a **** about their club. Thinking they know everything about their said club.

Your definition? Your glory supporting user? Post away. ;)

Titch
20-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Come on then, I'm bored. What is the definition of a glory supporter? Feel free to use a user on this forum as an example.

For me it's someone who does not attend games, claims they are not a glory supporter because they pay for Sky TV, try and irritate other fans for signing players or not winning because their teams wins "everything" and acts as a **** about their club. Thinking they know everything about their said club.

Pretty much same, i live Hundreds of miles from manchester, yet make most games when i have cash and always travel abroad with them, and i ant rich, so why cant others?

Minstrels
20-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Pretty much same, i live Hundreds of miles from manchester, yet make most games when i have cash and always travel abroad with them, and i ant rich, so why cant others?
Exactly. And people on here know you go to games which is why I don't have anything on you. Most of your posts are intelligent in the sports section and you don't give people **** in every thread, only stick when it's deserved etc.

Andys
20-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Most people on this forum.
Good definition there guys!!!

Excellent2
20-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Someone who supports the club because of their financial position and/or place in the table. You could include players.

Kardan
20-01-2009, 08:33 PM

Right, before I say this let me make it clear that I don't watch football, I don't find it interesting and don't support any team.

Not everyone has the cash to travel hundreds of miles to watch football for 90 minutes, when you can easily watch it on a TV screen. Yes, it makes you a more dedicated supporter, but going to games doesn't make you know more about your football team.

I have many friends that support Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea - all of them are buggered since we live in Leicester which is near none of the big four, and surprisingly they don't go and watch the games because it's too much hassle.

Minstrels
20-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Right, before I say this let me make it clear that I don't watch football, I don't find it interesting and don't support any team.

Not everyone has the cash to travel hundreds of miles to watch football for 90 minutes, when you can easily watch it on a TV screen. Yes, it makes you a more dedicated supporter, but going to games doesn't make you know more about your football team.

I have many friends that support Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea - all of them are buggered since we live in Leicester which is near none of the big four, and surprisingly they don't go and watch the games because it's too much hassle.
Poor mans argument. Titch lives in Kent and has stated and he still goes to OT when he can make it. To much of a hassle? Leicester is one hour if that, away from Manchester on a train. About 30 minutes on a Virgin train.

Titch
20-01-2009, 08:36 PM

Why not support a local club then which they can go see?

And took much of hassel, i have to fly to *****g manchester for gods sake!

Kardan
20-01-2009, 08:38 PM

Because they support the teams they want to support, I can ask you the same question - why don't you support a local team instead of flying and wasting so much money? It's your choice, you can do what you want, same with my friends :)

Titch
20-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Because they support the teams they want to support, I can ask you the same question - why don't you support a local team instead of flying and wasting so much money? It's your choice, you can do what you want, same with my friends :)

Becuase my father is from manchester and supports them, i was brought up supporting them.

I do However support my local team aswell, i go to Herne Bay Matches most weekends with the lads. :)

Kardan
20-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Becuase my father is from manchester and supports them, i was brought up supporting them.

I do However support my local team aswell, i go to Herne Bay Matches most weekends with the lads. :)

My friends support their clubs for a reason then :) It's their choice if they want to be dedicated and see the matches - if not, then fine - I don't see why people make a big deal about it.

Geraint
20-01-2009, 08:41 PM
I'll give some stories about my fight against them in my school because I'm bored.Right, some of these are great and they really do make me laugh alot.

Me: Why don't you support Cardiff?
Them: because they're crap.
Me: Oh, so you're a glory hunter then?
Them: No. (followed by a whole speech) :$

I mean, they've just said you don't support your local team because they're crap. :rolleyes:

Another one:

*draws England flag on paint*
Them: OMG, get it off you ****, ******* *****
Me: If you hate England so much, why do you support English teams:
Them: *nothing*

Now, some of them, are decent fans. They're very truthful about games and if teams will win stuff or anything but there's others who are just ******, blatently glory hunting and mock me for supporting Cardiff. They're such big glory hunters, they even support the Welsh rugby team because the Welsh football team is crap.

This may be a bit stupid, but I have no problem with people supporting Man Utd and Liverpool, but I hate them when they're all "Who's top of the league" etc. And these arguments over who's won the most things is just the worlds best argument. I laugh so much because they deny being glory hunters. I love it.

Minstrels
20-01-2009, 08:50 PM
That one about the Welsh flag is funny. :P

Geraint
20-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I live in an area full of Liverpool and Man Utd fans. Thing is, they all turn into Cardiff fans for the big games :S. Well, except for some *****.

Loser
20-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Being begged for tickets to Wembley and to the Arsenal game by Man Utd and Liverpool fans, I can confirm it Geraint.

Geraint
20-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Being begged for tickets to Wembley and to the Arsenal game by Man Utd and Liverpool fans, I can confirm it Geraint.

Day after Middlesbrough game.

"Oh, Ger, can you get me tickets for the semi-final?"
Told them to **** off.

Went down one day to get Reading tickets. Went with my season-ticket holding friend and another friend of mine. The season-ticket friend had no-one to go with, so he bought tickets on the BBT. The other lad, who was going to go, said he'd rather play football. The draw is announced then and surprise, surprise, who wants tickets? This guy who said no to Reading. I've had loads of people talking about it and going and I laugh in their faces because Arsenal have the whole grange.

Bun
20-01-2009, 09:11 PM
Day after Middlesbrough game.

"Oh, Ger, can you get me tickets for the semi-final?"
Told them to **** off.

Went down one day to get Reading tickets. Went with my season-ticket holding friend and another friend of mine. The season-ticket friend had no-one to go with, so he bought tickets on the BBT. The other lad, who was going to go, said he'd rather play football. The draw is announced then and surprise, surprise, who wants tickets? This guy who said no to Reading. I've had loads of people talking about it and going and I laugh in their faces because Arsenal have the whole grange.
you think you had it bad... :(

Malachy
20-01-2009, 09:18 PM
It'll get even worse on Saturday mate ;).

Geraint
20-01-2009, 09:25 PM

Ahhh, what a day. The fans clapping us on the buses was just, incredible. That is probably the best game I have ever been to.

People didn't believe I'd gone because I was in school the next day. Swear it takes 10 hours to get back or something.

JackBuddy
20-01-2009, 10:12 PM
I live in London and most people support London clubs- but ironically Arsenal and Chelsea (although Chelsea is closest). I know a few Brentford fans, a couple of Fulham, few Spurs, no Leyton Orient, no Charlton, no Barnet and a couple of West Ham fans. Most are Arsenal and Chelsea though.

There are a few Liverpool/United losers as with every corner of the UK but I guess you could say alot of the Chelsea fans are the biggest glory supporters... ask any random person who has no interest in football who they support and they will say Chelsea.

Loser
20-01-2009, 10:20 PM
Ahhh, what a day. The fans clapping us on the buses was just, incredible. That is probably the best game I have ever been to.

People didn't believe I'd gone because I was in school the next day. Swear it takes 10 hours to get back or something.

About two and a half hours for me, but then again my Dad's dynamite at choosing routes.

Geraint
20-01-2009, 10:25 PM
About two and a half hours for me, but then again my Dad's dynamite at choosing routes.

Did you fly? I got home about 11. Arrived at the ground just in time for kick off, police made us wait for ages on the bus and we'd already gone to Middlesbrough via Doncaster North, never seen so many power stations in my life. We never get home quickly on our bus. Took us 7 hours to get back from Liverpool :lol:

Jack.Lfc
20-01-2009, 10:27 PM
I support man city.

Loser
20-01-2009, 10:31 PM
Did you fly? I got home about 11. Arrived at the ground just in time for kick off, police made us wait for ages on the bus and we'd already gone to Middlesbrough via Doncaster North, never seen so many power stations in my life. We never get home quickly on our bus. Took us 7 hours to get back from Liverpool :lol:

I would have been flying high if we won! I didn't go in a coach though, and we parked around the corner in a little tiny car park. 5-10 minute walk there and then there was a bit of traffic untill we go out of Wembley (the area, not the stadium).

Geraint
20-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I would have been flying high if we won! I didn't go in a coach though, and we parked around the corner in a little tiny car park. 5-10 minute walk there and then there was a bit of traffic untill we go out of Wembley (the area, not the stadium).

I was on about Middlesbrough :P

Took us ages for Wembley aswell. Coach to Uxbridge, train from there. Walked around the stadium twice because we got stuck with the Barnsley fans who refused to walk down wembley way with all the Cardiff fans. Stuck at the back of a slow Wembley Way on the way back. Train back to Uxbridge. Waited in McDonalds. Waited about an hour for the bus to come back, then got home.

For the final, coach to Ruislip, train from there. Stayed at the end of the game, walked straight up Wembley way, train and then pretty much straight home. Can't remember timings on either.

Loser
20-01-2009, 10:41 PM
My bad! Got confused there.

Jack.Lfc
20-01-2009, 10:45 PM
I;ve been to the millenium stadium 3 times

win v man u
lose v chelsea
win v westham

took 6 hours to get there was a real **** when we got beat to chelsea.

Geraint
20-01-2009, 10:46 PM
My bad! Got confused there.

I was just about to report you for speeding.

I;ve been to the millenium stadium 3 times

win v man u
lose v chelsea
win v westham

took 6 hours to get there was a real **** when we got beat to chelsea.

Takes me 40 mins on the train and then 5 minute walk.

Jack.Lfc
20-01-2009, 10:48 PM
I was just about to report you for speeding.

Takes me 40 mins on the train and then 5 minute walk.

But your from wales, im from Liverpool, show off.

Geraint
20-01-2009, 10:49 PM
But your from wales, im from Liverpool, show off.

I bet it doesn't take you 7 hours to get to Anfield though. :P

Jack.Lfc
20-01-2009, 10:52 PM
takes 10 mins in trafic :)

Throne Sofa
21-01-2009, 12:03 AM

For me it's someone who does not attend games, claims they are not a glory supporter because they pay for Sky TV, try and irritate other fans for signing players or not winning because their team wins "everything" and acts as a **** about their club. Thinking they know everything about their said club.

:rolleyes:

A glory supporter in my mind is someone who started supporting a team simply because they have success. For that reason only.

Pyroka
21-01-2009, 12:06 AM
:rolleyes:

A glory supporter in my mind is someone who started supporting a team simply because they have success. For that reason only.

Agreed, I think that's the only defintion for glory supporter which everyone would agree with. It's where the term originated.

CJW93
21-01-2009, 12:17 AM

Oh god don't fall into that trap like I did :P

Skajo
21-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Whether you've been to one game or a thousand games, pledged one quid or a thousand bucks into your club - you're as much as a support than the next guy that supports the club. If people want to support Manchester United because they're good - so be it. I couldn't care less - I'm happy watching my lower-league football every week and watching my team progress slowly. It's more entertaining as well I'm sure Geraint, Jordie, Piddle etc will back me up in saying this.

A glory supporter is non-existent in my view.

Minstrels
21-01-2009, 08:01 AM
I love bringing this subject up, gives me a great feeling watching fans from down south who don't attend United games trying and wiggle out of the subject.

Throne Sofa
21-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I love bringing this subject up, gives me a great feeling watching fans from down south who don't attend United games trying and wiggle out of the subject.
And every single City fan lives in Manchester?

sock
21-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Glory supporting is most united fans tbh.

Jack.Lfc
21-01-2009, 04:49 PM
I agree with minsterals how can you support your team from your arm chair ?

Minstrels
21-01-2009, 05:50 PM
And every single City fan lives in Manchester?
Why are you saying that to me? I live in Manchester. I go to the games. :S
And the ones which live abroad make the trip around the world to Manchester.

Glory supporting is most united fans tbh.
Indeed. Also don't forget the American AC and Barca fans.

I agree with minsterals how can you support your team from your arm chair ?
Exactly... oh wait they pay for Sky TV. ;)

Titch
21-01-2009, 05:54 PM
Why are you saying that to me? I live in Manchester. I go to the games. :S
And the ones which live abroad make the trip around the world to Manchester.

Indeed. Also don't forget the American AC and Barca fans.

Exactly... oh wait they pay for Sky TV. ;)

Actually i know loads of plp round here who support city yet have never been to a game. and some who just started supporting them cus robihino went there.

Minstrels
21-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Dam I'm ******ed, just noticed it says "Glort"

Actually i know loads of plp round here who support city yet have never been to a game. and some who just started supporting them cus robihino went there.
Well we had a fan travel over from OZ to watch six games. Cost in the region of £5,000 - £8,000. And we had some Americans travel over for the Portsmouth game... DOH!

Kardan
21-01-2009, 06:01 PM
Wait, are you on about finanically supporting clubs? Because in that case, of course only people that go to games support the club.

But otherwise, anyone can support a club whether they go to games or not, a glory supporter is someone that supports a team just because they do well - you can't say out of the 330 million people that support United, that only the 60,000 that go to watch the games are real supporters, and the other 329 million people are all glory supporters.

luce
21-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Well i used to live in Dudley and really just followed my dad because he's supported United since he was young. I'm going to the cup final and i have no idea which others this season. Now i live overseas it's harder. Last night Derby fans were singing "we support our local team" which we obviously had no come back to because it's true.

Anyway glory supporter someone who follows a club for their success and changed every season or follows a player/manager/money around the world :D

Also i can't fly over for every game, would if i could. Because of school and hockey. But i have my cup final tickets :D

Minstrels
21-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Wait, are you on about finanically supporting clubs? Because in that case, of course only people that go to games support the club.

But otherwise, anyone can support a club whether they go to games or not, a glory supporter is someone that supports a team just because they do well - you can't say out of the 330 million people that support United, that only the 60,000 that go to watch the games are real supporters, and the other 329 million people are all glory supporters.
Stop confusing the matter with ridiculous posts.

Don't understand football.
Don't like football.
Don't grasp football.
Don't post.

Kardan
21-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Stop confusing the matter with ridiculous posts.

Don't understand football.
Don't like football.
Don't grasp football.
Don't post.

Well, what is your definition of glory supporting then, and to be fair, I have the same right as you to post :)

Geraint
21-01-2009, 06:07 PM
it's blatently obvious that people support them because they're good. if they actually had an interest they'd support their local team and not go to games. even people who travel from Mars to every home games, I still class as glory hunters. I'm sorry, but in my opinion every person who supports them is a glory hunter. well, unless you are about 110 and supported them when they were crap :P

Now, reply to that one. ;)

Minstrels
21-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Kardan, read a full thread then you'll see my view. It's the very first post for christs sake. And if you don't have an interest in football then why join a debate about football fans? A subject where you hold no knowledge about. :rolleyes:

Geraint
21-01-2009, 06:12 PM
The money one is the worst excuse ever. The top teams merchandise is more money, tickets are more money and people who live in Bournemouth and support Man Utd and say "I can't go because it cost me £150". Well, if you spported your local team, merchandise is cheaper, tickets are cheaper and your local team can get somewhere in the world and maybe even the premier league :rolleyes: I hate people who go to 2 games a season because they can't afford it, when this £300 or w/e they spent could be used to buy a ST at their local club.

Jack.Lfc
21-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I supported manchester city when the kaka move was on but now i support liverpool again ;)

Kardan
21-01-2009, 06:15 PM
So someone that doesn't attend games regularly, watches it on TV and boasts about their team winning? That's millions of genuine fans - not everybody has the cash to drive to Manchester - and considering Man U is supported worldwide, not everyone has the cash to fly to Manchester, so they end up having no choice but to watch it over the TV?

On the other hand you'll get people that'll change who they support based on how well the team is doing at that moment in time - that's what a glory supporter is. My friend's one, a few years back he was supporting Watford because they got to the Semi-Final of something, and now he's supporting Burnley because they're at the Semi-Final of something.

Of course, both of our views shouldn't matter to each other since it's not going to change either of our opinions, and why do I want to join a debate? To state my opinion obviously :)

Loser
21-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I supported manchester city when the kaka move was on but now i support liverpool again ;)

Glory fan! I've supported Man City for five months!

Geraint
21-01-2009, 06:20 PM
So someone that doesn't attend games regularly, watches it on TV and boasts about their team winning? That's millions of genuine fans - not everybody has the cash to drive to Manchester - and considering Man U is supported worldwide, not everyone has the cash to fly to Manchester, so they end up having no choice but to watch it over the TV?

On the other hand you'll get people that'll change who they support based on how well the team is doing at that moment in time - that's what a glory supporter is. My friend's one, a few years back he was supporting Watford because they got to the Semi-Final of something, and now he's supporting Burnley because they're at the Semi-Final of something.

Of course, both of our views shouldn't matter to each other since it's not going to change either of our opinions, and why do I want to join a debate? To state my opinion obviously :)

Support their local team and maybe they will be able to afford it. :rolleyes:

Kardan
21-01-2009, 06:21 PM

So only people that are better off are allowed to support the bigger teams?

Jack.Lfc
21-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Dont know why but that made me laugh

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Loser
21-01-2009, 06:24 PM
So only people that are better off are allowed to support the bigger teams?

No. Only people who live close to the bigger teams should support the bigger teams.

Kardan
21-01-2009, 06:25 PM
No. Only people who live close to the bigger teams should support the bigger teams.

So someone that lived in Manchester all his childhood, and moved away to Australia for a career would have to stop supporting his team?

That's just plain stupid.

Geraint
21-01-2009, 06:32 PM
I'd have more respect for someone who started going to Cardiff because they were in the Premier League than someone who supports Man Utd or Liverpool.

Captain
21-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Someone who only supports a team because they are winning trophies.

Loser
21-01-2009, 06:54 PM
So someone that lived in Manchester all his childhood, and moved away to Australia for a career would have to stop supporting his team?

That's just plain stupid.

That isn't a glory supporter, is it? Anyways, I advise going to your local club whether you grew up there or not. Fans of football should really prefer to go watch Torquay every week, rather than watch Man Utd once or twice a year.

Robbie
21-01-2009, 07:46 PM
OK my usual Saturday ritual;

I support United (I'm in Manchester). I can't get to many games for reasons I've explained before. I've been to 6 home games/10 so far this season. Paying extortionate prices off Viagogo and then walking to OT every game 'cos I can't get a lift

(12.9 mi – about 4 hours 16 mins) according to Google Maps, but 4hrs is lies takes me about 1hr30.

When I can't get to United I go to Oldham Athletic, town team (I have a ST aswell) as I know people that go and like to support my town team.

Does anyone think there's anything wrong with this? (the italic red bit.)

PaintYourTarget
21-01-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm a Coventry City fan, I never go to the games because I work Saturdays but at final whistle I'm always gathered around the tv with a whole bunch of other fans of different teams debating the games. I try to get to a game whenever I can, but it's not often.

Now, the missus is a Villa fan. So, I started catching their games and results just so I could argue with her about how much better Cov are. Tbf, they've grown on me and I'll also check their results as often as I do Coventry and talk about them with people at work/school (obviously don't want to out myself as a supporter 'cause living in Coventry, I'd be lynched).

Does the second part make me a glory supporter?

Jack.Lfc
21-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Now, the missus is a Villa fan. So, I started catching their games and results just so I could argue with her about how much better Cov are. Tbf, they've grown on me and I'll also check their results as often as I do Coventry and talk about them with people at work/school (obviously don't want to out myself as a supporter 'cause living in Coventry, I'd be lynched).

Does the second part make me a glory supporter?

Villa arnt glorious, :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

PaintYourTarget
21-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Villa arnt glorious, :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
4th in the table matey, not too shabby.

Loser
21-01-2009, 11:04 PM

I support United (I'm in Manchester). I can't get to many games for reasons I've explained before. I've been to 6 home games/10 so far this season. Paying extortionate prices off Viagogo and then walking to OT every game 'cos I can't get a lift

(12.9 mi – about 4 hours 16 mins) according to Google Maps, but 4hrs is lies takes me about 1hr30.

When I can't get to United I go to Oldham Athletic, town team (I have a ST aswell) as I know people that go and like to support my town team.

No, I was about to suggest going to a cheaper team's games as I was reading it.

Andeeh
22-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Whether you've been to one game or a thousand games, pledged one quid or a thousand bucks into your club - you're as much as a support than the next guy that supports the club. If people want to support Manchester United because they're good - so be it. I couldn't care less - I'm happy watching my lower-league football every week and watching my team progress slowly. It's more entertaining as well I'm sure Geraint, Jordie, Piddle etc will back me up in saying this.

A glory supporter is non-existent in my view.

Your very right.

I support liverpool i havent been to that many games but i still always check scores and stuff if im out when they are playing. I have always supported Liverpool cause i followed my Dad.

I keep track of Brighton now and then but they are terrible last few seasons =[

Tristan
23-01-2009, 06:07 PM
Names?

Clowgon.

Minstrels
23-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Names?

Clowgon.
It took 7 pages, we shall now await for Clowgons reply.

Throne Sofa
23-01-2009, 11:00 PM

Personally could never support two clubs.

Jack.Lfc
23-01-2009, 11:04 PM
I support liverpool, chelsea, man u, arsenal and man city. ;)

Jordy
24-01-2009, 01:30 AM

Does anyone think there's anything wrong with this? (the italic red bit.)You do 13 miles in 90 minutes? I'm pretty sure no one could do that with out running, very fast at that.

Minstrels
24-01-2009, 08:50 AM
You do 13 miles in 90 minutes? I'm pretty sure no one could do that with out running, very fast at that.
Manchester has a lot of short cuts, it is quite quick when you walk around.

Robbie
24-01-2009, 01:40 PM
I didn't say it took me exactly that long, sometimes longer. And I'm sure it's not 13miles. Not the way I go anyway.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!