PDA

View Full Version : GCSE Maths: Foundation or Higher?

Imp!
21-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Okay so the problem is I dont know which one to do for my GCSEs. Ive done two modules and got a C and a D (repeating the D in foundation.) But the problem is people are telling me that I need to get most of the foundation paper correct in order to get a C and that I may only need to get 50% of the Higher right. Tbh Im not that good at maths and I really don't want to take that risk. Any suggestions?

kurtis5561
21-01-2009, 07:45 PM
Okay so the problem is I dont know which one to do for my GCSEs. Ive done two modules and got a C and a D (repeating the D in foundation.) But the problem is people are telling me that I need to get most of the foundation paper correct in order to get a C and that I may only need to get 50% of the Higher right. Tbh Im not that good at maths and I really don't want to take that risk. Any suggestions?

Do they not do a intermediate paper anymore? That usually is the safest option can get a B maxium.

mangle
21-01-2009, 07:49 PM
Nope, they scrapped it.

--ss--
21-01-2009, 07:53 PM
Do higher, Foundation mean you will only be able to get a C if you get around 80% i'm guessing correct, where as if you want toa C on a higher paper you will only need around 50%. I'm sure with enough revision and cramming you'll easily be able to get a C on higher if you do that paper correctly, by that I mean you go for all the easy 1/2 mark questions, and then attempt the harder ones.

If you really cba to revise and know to yourself that some things are too hard for you then do a foundation paper, but even if that may be easier than the higher tier you will still have to know everything inside of it to get a C.

I reccomend asking your teacher for a past paper, both H & F and then looking through both to see which you are more comfortable with.

Hitman
21-01-2009, 08:09 PM
I'm crap at maths (well, not very good) and I've decided to do Higher. As --ss-- said, n Foundation you can only get C as the highest grade, whereas on Higher it's A(*).

Eamonn
21-01-2009, 08:30 PM
deffo do higher
you've got until june for the exam, you will most likely do way more revision for it around then, compared to the amount you're doing for these mocks, so take that into account :) and a friend of mine last year wanted to do foundation because she was getting C/Ds on the practice papers, but i convinced her to do higher and she came out with a B in the real thing, so go for it :)

Imp!
21-01-2009, 08:47 PM
But Im really bad at maths, like it was a close call in that "C", I was 3 marks into it, I would have got a D so I would have gotten 2 Ds

Bevvie
21-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Hmmmm i say you should do higher.
You never know you might do better and get B.
And if you revise loads and do practice papers.
I am sure you will do great.
Good luck with your Maths.

RyanDOT
21-01-2009, 09:03 PM
You do Higher

Im surprised, i hardly learned nothing and got a C, 1 mark away from a B.

kurtis5561
21-01-2009, 09:10 PM
Nope, they scrapped it.
Shows how long since I've been in education

Next you will tell me English is one GCSE now

Jack.Lfc
21-01-2009, 10:24 PM
If i was you i'd do foundation, so many in the top sets in my school failed higher and had to resit doing foundation.

Alkaz
21-01-2009, 10:27 PM
They scrapped intermidiate in 2007. I was in year 10 as one of last to take int, but ye I would go for higher as a D is still a pass on higher now, they lowered the boundries.

Immenseman
21-01-2009, 10:28 PM
I really struggled in maths, did higher got a C, took it. My weakest subject by a long shot really.

Imp!
21-01-2009, 11:05 PM
They scrapped intermidiate in 2007. I was in year 10 as one of last to take int, but ye I would go for higher as a D is still a pass on higher now, they lowered the boundries.

In the eyes of your school, any grade is a pass but in the university, its not a pass, a C is considered a pass, and I really feel that I would feel comfortable sitting with a paper I would consider " easy " compared to something I would burst into tears over lol

Neversoft
21-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I done the foundation paper first time back in school and got a D, was 4 marks off a C. I then retook the exam a few months later (without revising) but this time did the higher paper and got a high C. So I'd definitely say that with the higher paper you have more chance of passing, especially if you show all the working out in your answers as well. I thought I was going to get an F or something because I swear I knew nothing on that higher paper, but I somehow got a C... must have been due to my epic calculations. :eusa_danc

Soy
22-01-2009, 04:02 PM
Foundation gaurenteed a C

Higher small risk of getting a D-

I went for the foundation as I hate maths and will not carry it on. At the end of the day you only need a C unless you want to carry it on in Sixth Form

Janet Snakehole
22-01-2009, 05:38 PM
i've left school now but i was FORCED to do the higher paper instead of foundation
i answered hardly any questions and i still passed with a C, but i dno whether thats cos my coursework brought the overall grade up!

luce
22-01-2009, 06:30 PM

Take the risk. getting a C in higher is looked upon as better then a C in foundation. And you have to get most right in foundation to achieve that! Whereas in higher it's hard to get under a C. I've done it and dropped like 1 mark each module.

BeanEgg
22-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Go with the higher, to get a D in higher it's 40%.

I'd say go with higher. :)

PaulMacC
22-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Im doing higher but I can scrapes C's if I try hard enough, predicted a B.
Last year in the Northern ireland CEA exam results it was like 45% was a C.

Abbie.
22-01-2009, 10:33 PM
i did intermidiate and got a B

they dont have that no more :S? that sucks, i wouldnt of done so well in higher or foundation

but id try higher because u could pick up marks for at least trying

Imp!
22-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Im doing higher but I can scrapes C's if I try hard enough, predicted a B.
Last year in the Northern ireland CEA exam results it was like 45% was a C.

I'm in a catholic school thus we're with AQA

Con
23-01-2009, 04:40 PM
When people say about the higher you need to get less right to get a C, as far as it may be true,
It makes no difference. The higher has harder and far more complicated questions than the foundation.
If you think you are capable of getting better than a C then go for higher.
If not then stick with Foundation and don't risk getting a U ;)

Just my personal opinion anyway

clueless
23-01-2009, 04:55 PM
you have time before now and then to boost that D and low C into comfortable Cs or ** it just depends on how much work you are prepared to do.
obviously the safest bet is to go for foundation, but i think you would regret it, especially if you get a high C

Throne Sofa
23-01-2009, 05:52 PM
If you're in the middle go for higher. I was like that last year, did foundation in the end and got like 436/436 or something, and realised I should have done higher to get a B.

x!candi!x
24-01-2009, 12:30 AM

Yeh that's true it's harder to get a c in foundation than higher but there is less to learn in foundation than in higher so I would same about the same really.

brandon
24-01-2009, 12:33 AM
You don't have to do much in Higher to get a C, in Foundation you have to do very well to get a C. Higher everytime for me.

Axel
24-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Highers easy, but if youre not sure do foundation.

Galactica
24-01-2009, 03:31 AM
I just took my foundation maths GCSE. It was 83/100 of the non-calc to get a c and 80/1-- on the calc. I reccomend doing the foundation as the exam is quite easy and it's easy to get most of the paper correct. I succeded and got two CC in my GCSE. very nice

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!