PDA

View Full Version : Mac Trojan Horse OSX.Trojan.iServices.A Found in Pirated Apple iWork 09

Agnostic Bear
23-01-2009, 06:53 AM
Exploit: OSX.Trojan.iServices.A Trojan Horse
Discovered: January 21, 2009
Risk: Serious
Description: Intego has discovered a new Trojan horse, OSX.Trojan.iServices.A, which is currently circulating in copies of Apple’s iWork 09 found on BitTorrent trackers and other sites containing links to pirated software. The version of iWork 09, Apple’s productivity suite, are complete and functional, but the installer contains an additional package called iWorkServices.pkg.

more here: http://www.intego.com/news/ism0901.asp

HotelUser
23-01-2009, 11:10 AM
That's why you always download the trial from Apple's website, then get a serial elsewhere.

newWORLDorder
23-01-2009, 01:43 PM
What he said ^.

Whoever downloads these packaged apps when you can get free trials (then a serial or patch) is a bit silly. Thats on any platform.

Agnostic Bear
23-01-2009, 02:02 PM
What he said ^.

Whoever downloads these packaged apps when you can get free trials (then a serial or patch) is a bit silly. Thats on any platform.

At least 20,000 silly mac users most probably infected.

newWORLDorder
23-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Thing is, thats nothing compared to the 'millions of silly windows users' who have virus'.

Anyway, idc. I dont have the virus.

Kevin
23-01-2009, 02:24 PM
This is only the start of it, I'm sure there will be many more to come

Blinger1
23-01-2009, 03:08 PM
BUT MACS CANT GET A VIRUS :O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and nice find too :)

Decapitated
23-01-2009, 03:19 PM
"oh, thats why i got a mac no virus' screw you windows"

yeah, eat your words *******.

xxMATTGxx
23-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Please keep this thread from arguments between the Windows and Mac operating system. :) Although, if i was still a Mac user I would just download off apple and get a serial :P

RedStratocas
23-01-2009, 04:15 PM
like someone said above, does EVERYONE always have to turn every thread into mac vs. pc? honestly, anyone who really cares should find the nearest sharp object and fall on it.

anyway, like any virus no matter the system, you have to be an idiot to get it.

23-01-2009, 04:17 PM

thats what i was going to say LOOOOOOOL

xxMATTGxx
23-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Update: Despite significant publicity surrounding this incident today, the infected iWork package remains active in the torrent community. In light of this continued activity, we have moved this report from Page 2 to our front page and are providing instructions for deactivating and removing the Trojan from infected systems.

1) (open Terminal.app)
2) sudo su (enter password)
3) rm -r /System/Library/StartupItems/iWorkServices
4) rm /private/tmp/.iWorkServices
5) rm /usr/bin/iWorkServices
6) rm -r /Library/Receipts/iWorkServices.pkg
7) killall -9 iWorkServices

Update 2: MacScan has released a free utility to remove the Trojan from infected systems.

Posted above from MacRumors, if any Mac user has got this trojan.

Nick.
23-01-2009, 04:46 PM
a trojan horse is not a virus to everyone chatting **** about viruses :S

Josh-H
23-01-2009, 05:25 PM
This isn't really like many windows virus' is it. Its not an exploit or anything, it's a malicous package that's installed when you install the pirated copy of iWork. Totally different as you're actually authorising the installation.

DaveTaylor
23-01-2009, 05:30 PM
This isn't really like many windows virus' is it. Its not an exploit or anything, it's a malicous package that's installed when you install the pirated copy of iWork. Totally different as you're actually authorising the installation.

Lol, he's right, +rep. eugh must spread :/

HotelUser
23-01-2009, 07:15 PM

Come back when you know what you're talking about. (You've probably never even used OSX) One of the many reasons a lot of people have for using OSX is less viruses (keyword being less, not none). Know what you're talking about next time, and you won't make an incredibly stupid post:rolleyes:.

If this was a Trojan in Windows software nobody would think much of it. It certainly wouldn't have gotten its own news article. The fact that this was rare enough to be considered news should speak for it self as to how many less infections there are for OSX.

Before you or anyone else comes back to assume I'm some sort of Mac fanboy, I use a Windows laptop as well as my iMac.

Decapitated
24-01-2009, 01:35 AM
Come back when you know what you're talking about. (You've probably never even used OSX) One of the many reasons a lot of people have for using OSX is less viruses (keyword being less, not none). Know what you're talking about next time, and you won't make an incredibly stupid post:rolleyes:.

If this was a Trojan in Windows software nobody would think much of it. It certainly wouldn't have gotten its own news article. The fact that this was rare enough to be considered news should speak for it self as to how many less infections there are for OSX.

Before you or anyone else comes back to assume I'm some sort of Mac fanboy, I use a Windows laptop as well as my iMac.

pardon? i didn't say anything that was trying to be intelligent so back the hell down, all i was stating was too many people say "macs can't get virus'/trojans" when they clearly can..

so maybe you should read through before getting all defensive babes x

HotelUser
24-01-2009, 02:44 AM
pardon? i didn't say anything that was trying to be intelligent so back the hell down, all i was stating was too many people say "macs can't get virus'/trojans" when they clearly can..

so maybe you should read through before getting all defensive babes x

This applies to Windows too: just because you can get viruses doesn't mean you will get viruses. With OSX there's just less to get, therefore the chances of getting a virus on OSX are slim compared to contracting one on Windows.

Not only do the majority of Mac users not say, "Macs can't get viruses; screw you windows," but, a lot of users assume (and you've obviously done this) that because some users own Macs, it's all we use. In many causes this couldn't be further from the truth. I myself use OSX and Windows on a daily basis.

Perhaps I wouldn't get defensive if you didn't come to incorrect conclusions and start swearing at OSX users;).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!