PDA

View Full Version : AS level physics?

StripedTiger
23-01-2009, 10:40 PM
:] heres the story

I have an E in chemistry AS level
I an currently doing A2 biology (passing with flying colours)
And basically, i want to be a biology teacher.

one of my teachers said i need atleast a GCSE in chemistry and physics so i can get onto the pgce course after my biology degree.

So i was finking, since my a-levels are a lil messed and its gunna take me 3 years to do them (1st year i done AS chem, AS bio and AS maths, then this year im doing AS english lit, AS ict applied and A2 biology) next year i will only be doing A2 english lit and A2 ict applied.

So i thinking, that next year i could take on another AS level, physics! Cos if i had a pass in chem and physics as levels, it would give me sufficient background knowledge of the other 2 subjects, cos i will be expected to teach them to lower classes (year 7 - 9).

So my question is, what do you cover? Is it fairly easy? How demanding is the subject?

(please note i dont intend on taking it at A2).

Soy
23-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Physics is VERY hard like all the other sciences

Tip; Aim higher

Kardan
23-01-2009, 10:50 PM
If you only need a GCSE at Chemistry and Physics, why take Physics at AS-Level? Sure it will get you the extra knowledge, but would you remember it after the 3+ years after doing your Biology Degree and such?

Do whatever you think best, personally if I was in your suitation - I wouldn't.

But then again, next year I'm doing A2 Maths, AS Further Maths, AS Biology, AS Chemistry and AS Physics :/

StripedTiger
24-01-2009, 09:36 AM
-giggle- kk well kardan, when you do the as physics exam, write my name on your paper :D
n lol its because at GCSE i done single award science, which is all 3 combined, and i cannot guarentee that it is enough to get me onto the pgce course. My biology teacher doesnt think it is and my connexions person guy said it is but i would benefit by doing AS...

i spose its worth a try? even if i get an E out of it, its something?

Soka
24-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Having done AS physics myself.. and now doing A2 physics i'd say that the gap is bigger from AS to A2.. than from GCSE to AS. I also only did a dual award science at GCSE (worth 2 gcses) and AS physics is basically all the gcse equations.. + a few more equations and a few new concepts such as the photoelectric effect etc. Plus, if the syllabus hasn't changed that much 33% of the AS Level will be coursework based so you can keep improving on that with help from your teacher to practically guarentee an E grade already (40%).. then anything you add to that in the exam will improve your grade :P

So if i were you i'd say try it. Theres nothing worse than saying what if i tried it. If you don't like it after first few weeks just drop it.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!