PDA

View Full Version : Getting a debit card

Blue
25-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Ok, I'm 16 and am wondering what bank would let me get a debit card with them.

Thread closed by Bolt660 (Forum Moderator): Due to bump.

JackBuddy
25-01-2009, 07:18 PM
Most of them. You shouldn't have many problems.

brandon
25-01-2009, 07:19 PM
I am 15. I have a SOLO debit card, I've had it since I was 13. I don't think it will be too much of a problem. I'm with HSBC Livecash

Blue
25-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Bloody hell, that was quick :)

Thanks guys, I'll try and sort something out

scott
25-01-2009, 07:22 PM
I'm sure you can get a Debit card at any age, just not credit card lol. Ive had mines for 4/5 years withhhh rbs

efq
25-01-2009, 07:24 PM
I've had my debit card since 12 and use it in shops and cash point machines lol.

Andeeh
25-01-2009, 08:06 PM
the one with best intrest yet thats hard to find in these econmoical hardship =[

im with natwest

JackBuddy
25-01-2009, 08:21 PM
I am 15. I have a SOLO debit card, I've had it since I was 13. I don't think it will be too much of a problem. I'm with HSBC Livecash
wow i expected you to be like 18...

wth you joined habbox when you were 10!?

BeanEgg
25-01-2009, 08:35 PM
HSBC MyAccount is best.

You're given two accounts, savings and current and gain interest in your savings.

Solo debit card is given. :)

irJen
25-01-2009, 08:38 PM
All the high street banks will let you, Natwest and HSBC are good.

Blue
25-01-2009, 08:45 PM
I might go with natwest methinks :)
Thanks everyone!

kurtis5561
25-01-2009, 08:47 PM
the one with best intrest yet thats hard to find in these econmoical hardship =[

im with natwest
Current account interest is awful, Kids accounts are awful, I'd look at a Lloyds TSB or Barclays account as they are better value for when you turn 18. You are given a Visa Electron card which will be upgraded to Visa debit at the age of 18

HSBC MyAccount is best.

You're given two accounts, savings and current and gain interest in your savings.

Solo debit card is given. :)
The FSA would have a field day with this post, You are not FSA registered and cannot give "This account is the best" advice.

Also, Natwest have a habbit of charging for things you haven't done, Becareful if you choose to go with them, just because of the state of the RBS group

Immenseman
25-01-2009, 08:53 PM
lloyds is the best

kurtis5561
25-01-2009, 08:58 PM
lloyds is the best
I'm with Both Lloyds and Barclays and Lloyds charging structure seems good where they can only charge you for the same offence 3 times in a month but they change the offence so they can charge you, Like 3 times for "REFER TO PAYER" and then 3 times for "REFER TO PAYER." (notice the .)

Barclays are good Never had any major issues with them.

Oh if anyone is interested these are the accounts I have at Lloyds and Barclays

Lloyds TSB:
http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/added_value_accounts/platinum_current_account.asp

Barclays
http://www.barclays.co.uk/premier/

BeanEgg
25-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Current account interest is awful, Kids accounts are awful, I'd look at a Lloyds TSB or Barclays account as they are better value for when you turn 18. You are given a Visa Electron card which will be upgraded to Visa debit at the age of 18

The FSA would have a field day with this post, You are not FSA registered and cannot give "This account is the best" advice.

Also, Natwest have a habbit of charging for things you haven't done, Becareful if you choose to go with them, just because of the state of the RBS group

It's what I think, from experience. ;)

kurtis5561
25-01-2009, 09:06 PM
No offence you can't say its the best as you haven't had any similar accounts, if you did Im sure you would have said.

Sunny.
25-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Natwest - Solo
Barclays - Visa debit
Halifax - Visa debit

Most of them do

kurtis5561
25-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Natwest - Solo
Barclays - Visa debit
Halifax - Visa debit

Most of them do
Under 18's its a visa electron from instutions that issue a Visa branded card. Or a LINK/Bank only card

Debit cards for under 18s (if I missed a bank please let me know)

Solo/Maestro (at age 18)
HCBC
Natwest
RBS

Visa Electron/Visa Debit (At age of 18)
Lloyds TSB
Halifax
Barclays
CO-OP
Abbey
A&L
Northern Rock

If you need an internet purchase card, get yourself a pay as you go mastercard from www.mycashplus.co.uk its £9.95 for the card and £4.95 a month OR £1 a transaction, Can be loaded at Paypoint or the post office

jam666
25-01-2009, 10:56 PM
alliance and leicester have a pretty decent account called premier 21 for people aged 16-20

"8.00% AER credit interest on balances up to £1,000 fixed for 1 year. After 1 year rate goes back to Bank of England Base Rate less 1%. Balances over £1,000 earn 0.10% AER"

fair enough you only get the 8% interest rate up to balances of £1000 etc however you could open a savings account with another bank for example.

kurtis5561
25-01-2009, 11:04 PM
alliance and leicester have a pretty decent account called premier 21 for people aged 16-20

"8.00% AER credit interest on balances up to £1,000 fixed for 1 year. After 1 year rate goes back to Bank of England Base Rate less 1%. Balances over £1,000 earn 0.10% AER"

fair enough you only get the 8% interest rate up to balances of £1000 etc however you could open a savings account with another bank for example.
That account is good for 1 year then it reverts to a really low rate. The guy wants a debit card, I don't think interest bothers him

partie2
26-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Most of them will I know that HSBC does for sure.

LouisCollins
26-01-2009, 12:23 AM
HSBC ;)

kurtis5561
26-01-2009, 12:25 AM
I love seeing how the last two posts gave finacial advice without posting their FSA registration number.

Before you ask for mine, I have not given a advice or a recommendation, I have mearly provided the information which the OP should go out and read up on, I am registered but do not need to post my registration number for the above reason.

Joining a bank based on a few posts on a forum is dangerous and the product may not fit your needs.

Arch
26-01-2009, 01:05 AM
I'm 15 and pretty much every bank here would give me 1/i already have 1 :P

Sunny.
26-01-2009, 09:28 AM
another alternative to mycashplus.

IF you have paypal you can get a paypal debit card.
Free to load with your paypal account.
But fee's are abit of a *******

Fee table
http://www.paypal.com/en_GB/m/spot_feetable.htm

Captain
26-01-2009, 09:38 AM
I love seeing how the last two posts gave finacial advice without posting their FSA registration number.

Honestly though, who do you think you are.. lmao

On topic; ive got a debit card with Barclays, they're pretty good.

kurtis5561
26-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Honestly though, who do you think you are.. lmao

On topic; ive got a debit card with Barclays, they're pretty good.
Someone who did a banking degree for two years actually!

irJen
26-01-2009, 11:15 AM
Someone who did a banking degree for two years actually!

:S So?

We gave advice based on personal experience, peer to peer... this isn't professional banking advice, it's a teen opinions forum.

Go wave your qualifications somewhere else.

scott
26-01-2009, 11:16 AM

We gave advice based on personal experience, peer to peer... this isn't professional banking advice, it's a teen opinions forum.

Exactly what i was thinking :rolleyes:

today
26-01-2009, 12:30 PM
Under 18's its a visa electron from instutions that issue a Visa branded card. Or a LINK/Bank only card

Debit cards for under 18s (if I missed a bank please let me know)

Solo/Maestro (at age 18)
HCBC
Natwest
RBS

Visa Electron/Visa Debit (At age of 18)
Lloyds TSB
Halifax
Barclays
CO-OP
Abbey
A&L
Northern Rock

If you need an internet purchase card, get yourself a pay as you go mastercard from www.mycashplus.co.uk its £9.95 for the card and £4.95 a month OR £1 a transaction, Can be loaded at Paypoint or the post office
I have a Visa Debit and im 17 with Lloyds...

kurtis5561
26-01-2009, 02:40 PM
I have a Visa Debit and im 17 with Lloyds...
Flip it over it won't have a cheque guarrentee, it'll be an electronic authorisation visa debit aka Visa Electron

It'll also be blue in colour with the horse, this is replacing their current account visa electron product

today
26-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Flip it over it won't have a cheque guarrentee, it'll be an electronic authorisation visa debit aka Visa Electron

It'll also be blue in colour with the horse, this is replacing their current account visa electron product
It's actually the exact same one as my mother's whos well over 18 ma'dear.

BeanEgg
26-01-2009, 03:58 PM
No offence you can't say its the best as you haven't had any similar accounts, if you did Im sure you would have said.

The fact that I stated that I have a savings account, and a currents account, with a debit card which is Solo? :eusa_wall

I think I've mentioned it all. ;)

kurtis5561
26-01-2009, 04:52 PM
The fact that I stated that I have a savings account, and a currents account, with a debit card which is Solo? :eusa_wall

I think I've mentioned it all. ;)
You can't say its the best, At Lloyds I get a platium account with a £250 cheque guarrentee with Visa Debit and a 8%AER savings account

Does that mean its the best? of course not.

BeanEgg
26-01-2009, 06:29 PM

kurtis5561, you have been told a few times, such as the above. It's experience.

Further more, the thread starter doesn't want to know the crap your saying, simply asked which bank offers a debit card.

No one actually cares about your degrees, or your FSA registration number

On topic; I would go with HSBC, or NatWest. Both offer Debit Card which are Solo.

Also read this:
You can top-up your mobile, use it online and at retail stores.
HSBC Online Banking is also very useful for transferring things.
Good thing with the HSBC accounts is that you can't get an over-draft. You can only spend what you've got.
You can also get up to £100 cash-back.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited by MattGarner (Forum Super Moderator): Please do not be rude.

today
27-01-2009, 07:07 PM
You can't say its the best, At Lloyds I get a platium account with a £250 cheque guarrentee with Visa Debit and a 8%AER savings account

Does that mean its the best? of course not.
Your so big headed lol

Excellent2
27-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Go with Lloyds TSB, they're great :)

Josh-H
27-01-2009, 07:20 PM
At 16, most of the major banks will :)

Nick.
27-01-2009, 08:26 PM

Before you ask for mine, I have not given a advice or a recommendation, I have mearly provided the information which the OP should go out and read up on, I am registered but do not need to post my registration number for the above reason.

Joining a bank based on a few posts on a forum is dangerous and the product may not fit your needs.
Sorry, your first port I was OK with but what's your problem? Most people on here don't know what the Financial Services Authority is and don't know that they need to be registered to give their opinion. They don't realise they are doing something wrong. Just because you have oh so many degrees in it, doesn't mean you can come here being sarcastic and talking to 13-16 year olds like they are some kind of black-market financial advice bureau. People are just trying to help this guy, we don't want to be lectured, thanks.

I'm with HSBC and they are proper decent. Never had a problem, and they'll probably be the last bank in the world to go bankrupt, haha :rolleyes:

Andeeh
28-01-2009, 04:56 PM
dont go for rbs btw the mugging tax payers had to bail them idiots out.

Coldplay
29-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Barclays give you a VISA, as a lot of online shops dont accept Solo

For the record =]

Nick.
29-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Barclays give you a VISA, as a lot of online shops dont accept Solo

For the record =]
Yes they do :S And any that don't most likely accept Paypal, so you're sorted.

DarrenToogood
29-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I have a Visa Debit Card with Lloyds TSB. I am on the 'Under 19 Account'.

I am only 15 and have had a Debit Card since 14.

kurtis5561
31-01-2009, 12:20 AM
I have a Visa Debit Card with Lloyds TSB. I am on the 'Under 19 Account'.

I am only 15 and have had a Debit Card since 14.
Its not a full visa debit card, it will be an electronic authorisation card, the card is a blue colour?

GommeInc
31-01-2009, 12:32 AM
Yes they do :S And any that don't most likely accept Paypal, so you're sorted.
Indeed, I have a solo card and that's accepted everywhere online other than one place which is ExpertVerdict.com :P It gets upgraded to some Current Plus account soon, NatWest gave a letter months ago about it so it will become the one above a Solo, I think it's Switch but it really doesn't bother me :P

Alkaz
31-01-2009, 12:33 AM
Its not a full visa debit card, it will be an electronic authorisation card, the card is a blue colour?
I know what you are thinking off, its the one where you can only use like savings or money in their rite. I got one which is white, can have a small over draft and all that if you 16+.

iLogan
30-10-2009, 08:09 PM
I am 13 and I have a visa debit.

Edited by Bolt660 (Forum Moderator): please don't bump old threads.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!