PDA

View Full Version : OCD

Twist
26-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Who has OCD? I don't really know whether I do, I suppose I have MINOR OCD if that's possible. But everything I do has to be done excatly the way its supposed to sorta thing and things have to do in a certain order, and happen a certain amount of times and AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH it's annoying.
Anyone else?

26-01-2009, 08:46 PM
I've noticed that I've started to get OCD in the last like year and a half, if I do something with my right hand/finger/or foot I have to do it with my left too, just as many times, but always end on the right.
or else i go crazy

Twist
26-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I've noticed that I've started to get OCD in the last like year and a half, if I do something with my right hand/finger/or foot I have to do it with my left too, just as many times, but always end on the right.
or else i go crazy
That's excatly like me - I have to do something an even amount of times in the way I did it first like as you said on the same side sorta thing.

buttons
26-01-2009, 08:47 PM
obsessive cumpulsive disorder. There's all different types, cleaning is one of em. I know someone who cleans at exactly 12:58 pm on a sunday and it's just so weird.
i guess you could say i have minor OCD. i know a few more people who do the same as me, keep the tv volume on an even number lol dunno why. i never open doors myself + if i do something with my left hand, gotta do it with right :/when i was younger i used to wear gloves all the time & used to touch every single lamppost from school down to my house before i got home :/

tdi
26-01-2009, 09:01 PM
i'm fine but i'm dead picky about electrical stuff, i have to make sure everything's off, and I don't like leaving loose cables plugged in (like phone chargers) when they're not attatched to something, I know they won't do any harm but I always unplug them if they're not plugged into a phone or whatever.

Mathew
26-01-2009, 09:08 PM
or else i go crazy

That's excatly like me - I have to do something an even amount of times in the way I did it first like as you said on the same side sorta thing.
OMG, I thought I was the only person who did that. I've never really told anyone about it, or worried about it, but say I scratch one arm, I have to scratch the other. I thought I was just going crazy.. good to know other people do that.

obsessive cumpulsive disorder. There's all different types, cleaning is one of em. I know someone who cleans at exactly 12:58 pm on a sunday and it's just so weird.
i guess you could say i have minor OCD. i know a few more people who do the same as me, keep the tv volume on an even number lol dunno why. i never open doors myself + if i do something with my left hand, gotta do it with right :/when i was younger i used to wear gloves all the time & used to touch every single lamppost from school down to my house before i got home :/
Not always, but I prefer the TV volume to be on a multiple of 5. If not that, even numbers.

i'm fine but i'm dead picky about electrical stuff, i have to make sure everything's off, and I don't like leaving loose cables plugged in (like phone chargers) when they're not attatched to something, I know they won't do any harm but I always unplug them if they're not plugged into a phone or whatever.
I don't like tangled wires or leaving a cup out when it should be in the dishwasher. I once had to come down one night. I couldn't get to sleep until I knew that cup was in the dishwasher. :(

Another weird thing is that I can kinda' invert my ears so it blocks out all external noise, but I can hear crunchy water in there from when I had swimmer's ear a few years ago. It's really hard to explain, but I've got some ear drops which hopefully dries the water up deep in my ears.

I think I'm going crazy.

Twist
26-01-2009, 09:09 PM
OMG, I thought I was the only person who did that. I've never really told anyone about it, or worried about it, but say I scratch one arm, I have to scratch the other. I thought I was just going crazy.. good to know other people do that.

Not always, but I prefer the TV volume to be on a multiple of 5. If not that, even numbers.

I don't like tangled wires or leaving a cup out when it should be in the dishwasher. I once had to come down one night. I couldn't get to sleep until I knew that cup was in the dishwasher. :(

Another weird thing is that I can kinda' invert my ears so it blocks out all external noise, but I can hear crunchy water in there from when I had swimmer's ear a few years ago. It's really hard to explain, but I've got some ear drops which hopefully dries the water up deep in my ears.

I think I'm going crazy.
Lol well now you know ;).
It gets so frustrating I just feel like hitting something.

Monopoly
26-01-2009, 09:25 PM
so many people convince themselves they have OCD nowadays.
it's silly.

dogboy123
26-01-2009, 09:30 PM
This reminds me of Monk, if any of you watched it. I don't have it. And I feel sorry for the people that do have it. And i hope the case gets better for you :)

cocaine
26-01-2009, 09:36 PM
ive noticed a trend of "OCD bandwagon" in people within the last few years.
however i do not have OCD.

26-01-2009, 10:26 PM

Lol I hate you, when I was reading that I was scratching my left arm, than I was like gahhh and scratched my right lol.

And I do that too, my tv is always on 10, 15, or 20. my friends will change the volume to 13 and ill put it up to 15, than there just like :rolleyes:

GommeInc
26-01-2009, 10:37 PM
I kinda only have it with light switches. If there are two sets of light switches, they both have to be in the off position when the lights are turned off. Not one with it on etc.

RedStratocas
26-01-2009, 10:47 PM
This reminds me of Monk, if any of you watched it. I don't have it. And I feel sorry for the people that do have it. And i hope the case gets better for you :)

monk <333333

yeah, people throw around "ocd" too much nowadays. "OMGZ MY PENCILS NEED TO BE IN THE PENCIL BOX OR ELSE I GET ANNOYED I HAVE OCD." theres a difference between being organized and having ocd. people with ocd constantly have to wash their hands and are obsessed with pattern and consistancy. there are minor cases but its still not simple. like one of my brother's friends while he was in high school HAD to press this elevator button every single time he passed it. one day he realized he forgot, and had to go back and press it even though he was going to be late for his next class.

brandon
26-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Same here. Not the worst to have but quite annoying, I also have to check it a couple of times before I am satisfied.

leah
27-01-2009, 11:38 AM
I have to chew my food the same amount of times on both sides else I'll go madddd.
errr I hate mess aswell. my room has to be tidy. :P

LoveToStack
27-01-2009, 11:40 AM

that's just common sense, I do it as a precaution not because I have to. I like some things a specific way obviously but I don't have any habits that I must do. I feel the same way as others though, that OCD has become somewhat of a bandwagon situation.

N-Dubz
27-01-2009, 12:24 PM
just because some things annoy you, or you have to do certain things a certain way else you get frustrated that doesnt mean you have OCD.

Herman
27-01-2009, 04:39 PM
When playing a game, I always always want a score with an even number. I get really annoyed if I don't :P I wouldn't call it an OCD though. I don't think I have one.

Fifteen
27-01-2009, 06:34 PM

best to unplug them tbh, loads of house fires have been caused due to phone charges being plugged in and just left on the carpet

I don't think I have OCD, I just like routeen :)

today
27-01-2009, 10:53 PM
Mines never unplugged i leave it in 24/7 haha..

I have to have things lined up neatly, in line and color order. :/

All my clothes are color order.. and by size (XS-S to Color) My mum laughs when i spend half hour doing it every day cus she'll mess it up, just gotta do it!!!

Zak
28-01-2009, 01:13 AM
I have OCD :(

My TV volume has to be on an even number

I check locks (like car doors, house doors) loads of times before I can walk away

I also have a routine i have to follow before bed

make sure phone is off
everything unplugged
windows closed
check behind cars, desks
check under bed covers
check walls and then ceilings
then make sure light is off ok

without it I cannot sleep I have to do it, everytime I say to myself im not going to do this tonight. I tihnk ooo ill jst do one check n end up doing them all.. :(

I get really sad about this sometimes as i cant stop it
there are other things too but listing them wud take a while (like fridge/freezer doors)
-it doesn't consume much of my life but I have to do it

actually no im not going to tell u the rest :(

RandomManJay
28-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I actually have quite a lot of obsessions and compulsions, I tend to write them down to see if I've developed any or lost any, I've only put half of them since the list is quite long, remember that the amount of obsessions and compulsions does not represent the severity, the time diverted and anxiety felt is what does, do not think that I have severe/extreme OCD, most of these obsessions and compulsions are kept in check because I'm the only one in control of them, no one else:

- Obsessions about the number four (drinking in patterns of 4, chewing in patterns of 4x4 etc.)
- Arranging things by colour (pens, pencils, sweets etc.)
- The handle on a pen must be in line with the writing, logo etc. on the pen
- Cutting my nails excessively, causing them to bleed most of the time
- Aligning/Centre Aligning things (e.g. shoes, paper etc.)
- My quick launch bar has to have Internet Explorer, Windows Live Messenger and iTunes in that order
- I can't have priority items on my start menu
- Windows Live Messenger has to be the first window on my taskbar
- My number locks on my cupboard have to have 666 on them when they're locked (not anything to do with Satan, I just have to have that number)
- I can't have outlet switches on, they must always be turned off when they're not in use
- I have a tendency to have to lick my hands if I touch anything wet and not knowing what it is
- I repeatedly hum over and over again because if I don't I think I'll lose my voice
- I excessively clean out my ears with cotton buds
- I have to fold my tissue in half exactly before I use it
- Touching things with both hands
- I have to start typing in a web address from the beginning again if I make a single mistake
- Cracking Knuckles (I crack them about 20 times a day and have a pattern in which I crack them)
- Hoarding deodorant cans (I have about 50 now)
- Washing routines in the shower (I usually get really hot in the shower since I have to have it on at a certain temperature, so I get out boiling hot cause I had to finish my routine)
- Excessive use of word count on Microsoft Word etc.
- Arrangement of cards in my wallet (they fell out last week and a part of me died inside)
- Arranging DVDs in alphabetical order, books in order by height, then colour, then alphabetical, apps on my iPod in alphabetical order
- Folding £notes in half exactly, keeping £5 to the left side of my wallet, £10 to the right and £20 behind the £10
- I can't touch the handle on toilets because I think I'll get contaminated, I have to use a tissue etc. to flush it.

Altogether I've lost three since I last made a list, but some have changed.

Zak
28-01-2009, 03:51 PM
Yeah I have to check the toilet and I order DVDs,games etc..

Things have to be in the same place

scott
28-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Mines never unplugged i leave it in 24/7 haha..

I have to have things lined up neatly, in line and color order. :/

All my clothes are color order.. and by size (XS-S to Color) My mum laughs when i spend half hour doing it every day cus she'll mess it up, just gotta do it!!!
That is not normal.

RedStratocas
28-01-2009, 05:58 PM
I have OCD :(

My TV volume has to be on an even number

I check locks (like car doors, house doors) loads of times before I can walk away

I also have a routine i have to follow before bed

make sure phone is off
everything unplugged
windows closed
check behind cars, desks
check under bed covers
check walls and then ceilings
then make sure light is off ok

without it I cannot sleep I have to do it, everytime I say to myself im not going to do this tonight. I tihnk ooo ill jst do one check n end up doing them all.. :(

I get really sad about this sometimes as i cant stop it
there are other things too but listing them wud take a while (like fridge/freezer doors)
-it doesn't consume much of my life but I have to do it

actually no im not going to tell u the rest :(

you dont have ocd. all of those things are legitimate things to actually check before you go to bed. when you have ocd, the things you do are completely irrelevant. if you have to walk exactly 6 steps to get to your bed every night, or if you have to touch every single wood panel on your floor - thats ocd. making sure your windows are locked isnt ocd. that would be like saying people who brush their teeth every night before they go to bed have ocd.

being organized isnt ocd either.

N-Dubz
28-01-2009, 06:16 PM
why is everyone convinced they have OCD.

myke
28-01-2009, 06:31 PM
My parents got in contact with my doctor ages ago when I wouldn't sleep in my room for a week because someone else had slept in there and changed everything around...

I have this thing where the blinds have to be turned a certain way, my pillows have to be in a certain arrangement, nothing in my room can be moved, if it does, it goes back to the exact spot where it was, curtains have to be folded up against my radiator, only certain lights in my room off of electrical items are on when I go to bed- if there's an extra one then I get out of bed and turn it off. Everything has to be in the exact same place, nothing in my room is ever moved. If it is, I won't sleep in it until I feel fit to make it back to how it was. It really distresses me when it's not exact. The only time I allow myself to move anything in my room is if I get something new for it, whether it's a picture, a packet of pins, anything, then I allow myself to slightly shuffle things. I clean my room every saturday.

I'm only posting because when my mum spoke to the doctor he said it sounds like OCD... :]

edit: needed to sort ma punctuation

28-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Everyones saying that people really dont have ocd but I'm pretty sure I do because when I dont do things I get a feeling in my hand and I have to do it before the feeling goes away

today
28-01-2009, 07:18 PM
That is not normal.
shutup =[[[

scott
28-01-2009, 07:20 PM
shutup =[[[
Sorry SIR!

my rooms always a mess so yh.

sammeth<3

newWORLDorder
28-01-2009, 07:36 PM
so many people convince themselves they have OCD nowadays.
it's silly.

ive noticed a trend of "OCD bandwagon" in people within the last few years.
however i do not have OCD.

monk <333333

yeah, people throw around "ocd" too much nowadays. "OMGZ MY PENCILS NEED TO BE IN THE PENCIL BOX OR ELSE I GET ANNOYED I HAVE OCD." theres a difference between being organized and having ocd. people with ocd constantly have to wash their hands and are obsessed with pattern and consistancy. there are minor cases but its still not simple. like one of my brother's friends while he was in high school HAD to press this elevator button every single time he passed it. one day he realized he forgot, and had to go back and press it even though he was going to be late for his next class.

I hate that. Especially when its the stupidist of things like 'haha i have to turn da lites off at nite or i cant sleep'. Well thats just common sense?

I was diagnosed with OCD a couple of years back, around year 7. Its not as bad now, I have learnt to handle it really well. I have managed to grow out of some, but some just stick. I now tend to stick to strong routines to keep things easier...

"...and i always have to breath in and out, thats my OCD, hahalolsszz" :rolleyes:

drama
28-01-2009, 07:54 PM
or else i go crazy
ahah same, if theres pressure or something on my right hand i have to even it out on my left, and same for legs lol.

woudn't say it's OCD though, lol.

28-01-2009, 09:48 PM
ahah same, if theres pressure or something on my right hand i have to even it out on my left, and same for legs lol.

woudn't say it's OCD though, lol.
i mean i dont think its full blown ocd and I should get it checked out, never even told anyone about it, just not that huge of a deal to me.

e5
28-01-2009, 10:05 PM
LOL if I like hit something with my right I have to hit it with my left too or it's weird LOL

I used to always get up like 5 times a night to go make sure the bathroom rug was straight, it frustrated me sooo much, and now I always have handles fully up, omg I just pushed a handle up now to make sure!! it's annoying but I think mine is minor lol

Zak
29-01-2009, 01:28 AM
you dont have ocd. all of those things are legitimate things to actually check before you go to bed. when you have ocd, the things you do are completely irrelevant. if you have to walk exactly 6 steps to get to your bed every night, or if you have to touch every single wood panel on your floor - thats ocd. making sure your windows are locked isnt ocd. that would be like saying people who brush their teeth every night before they go to bed have ocd.

being organized isnt ocd either.

medical professionals say otherwise mr genius

RedStratocas
29-01-2009, 03:08 AM
medical professionals say otherwise mr genius

medical professionals get paid a lot of money to diagnose people with adhd, ocd, and erectile disfunction and getting them to buy drugs.

29-01-2009, 03:58 AM
medical professionals get paid a lot of money to diagnose people with adhd, ocd, and erectile disfunction and getting them to buy drugs.
ye i know.
IMO adhd is the most ** diagnotion ? ever.
just cause your kid cant sit in class and pay attention or stay still cause you pack their lunches with twinkie sandwiches doesent mean theres something wrong with them.
it means they dont have enough self discipline to do what they have to do.

RandomManJay
29-01-2009, 07:49 AM
ye i know.
just cause your kid cant sit in class and pay attention or stay still cause you pack their lunches with twinkie sandwiches doesent mean theres something wrong with them.

I disagree with you there, I know someone who suffers from ADHD and his symptoms are very noticable considering he suffers from class B ADHD, which he was considered for diagnosis 3 times until they eventually decided he was, but only on the basis that it was growing more difficult for him to function in real life because his development was stunted due to his illness. Self-discipline issues have never been associated with ADHD as self-discipline is an issue which can be easily managed through conventional upbringing, reconditioning and counselling, which ADHD cannot.

N-Dubz
29-01-2009, 06:20 PM
Obsessions
Recurrent and persistent thoughts, impulses, or images that are experienced as intrusive and that cause marked anxiety or distress.
The thoughts, impulses, or images are not simply excessive worries about real-life problems.
The person attempts to ignore or suppress such thoughts, impulses, or images, or to neutralize them with some other thought or action.
The person recognizes that the obsessional thoughts, impulses, or images are a product of his or her own mind, and are not based in reality.
Compulsions
Repetitive behaviors or mental acts that the person feels driven to perform in response to an obsession, or according to rules that must be applied rigidly.
The behaviors or mental acts are aimed at preventing or reducing distress or preventing some dreaded event or situation; however, these behaviors or mental acts are not actually connected to the issue, or they are excessive.
In addition to these criteria, at some point during the course of the disorder, the individual must realize that his/her obsessions or compulsions are unreasonable or excessive. Moreover, the obsessions or compulsions must be time-consuming (taking up more than one hour per day), cause distress, or cause impairment in social, occupational, or school functioning. OCD often causes feelings similar to those of depression.

so if you have all them problems go and see your doctor quick ahh!!!! lol.

RedStratocas
29-01-2009, 07:19 PM
ye i know.

exactly. parents dont like to say (or just dont see) that theyve raised their children with no discipline, so they say they have adhd so that the blame isnt on them. its not a coincidence that the same kids who take adhd meds have parents who put a dvd player in their car so that their kids wont be rowdy. a lot of parents counter their child's bad behavior with distractions like television, so once this kid gets to school where he's not being entertained at every waking moment, he'll act out in hopes that someone will give him a distraction. i dont see how parents don't see that.

but it isnt to say that adhd isnt real. i knew a kid who had the nicest parents and was raised well but did have emotional and hyperactivity issues. but ive also seen kids who just were never taught self-discipline on meds, which isnt their purpose. adhd is incredibly over-diagnosed.

Andys
29-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Nope, I just hate having un-used lights on.
but thats not OCD xD

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!