PDA

View Full Version : Man trapped by sofa sipped whisky!

Fifteen
27-01-2009, 09:40 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7854046.stm

(video)

A man who became trapped beneath his sofa for two days said he survived by sipping from a bottle of whisky.
Joe Galliott, 65, lost his bearings during a power cut at his home in Yeovil, Somerset, and fell against the three-seater which toppled onto him.
Because of back problems, he was unable to free his 19-stone frame and remained stuck for 60 hours until a neighbour spotted him through the curtains.
He said a bottle of whisky, which had rolled within reach, kept him going.
"The whole settee tipped over catching me like a rat in a trap," he said
"I took a sip of [the whisky] and thought, well this isn't too bad."
Curtains closed
But after several hours without food or water, he admits, he became quite worried.
"It felt like a lifetime, you think you're there forever," he said.
The alarm was raised by a neighbour who had peered through the window, after becoming concerned that Mr Galliott's curtains had not been drawn for two days.
He spent five days recovering in hospital after his ordeal earlier this month. Mr Galliott said he was keeping another bottle of whisky by the sofa "just in case."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/7853328.stm

27-01-2009, 09:49 PM
lol why not just keep a whole mini fridge with whisky and candy bars and **** by the sofa 'just in case'

i dont understand why he said the whisky kept him going really cause he couldve stayed alive just fine without anything :S

scott
27-01-2009, 09:51 PM
lol why not just keep a whole mini fridge with whisky and candy bars and **** by the sofa 'just in case'

i dont understand why he said the whisky kept him going really cause he couldve stayed alive just fine without anything :S
Idk why but when i read the title i thought he was trapped like between the sofa as in down the side :rolleyes:

GommeInc
27-01-2009, 10:51 PM

If you were trapped, I'm fairly sure the nearest thing that could keep you entertained would be used. If I was trapped under a table (by accidentally falling on it and it fell with it's legs in the air on top of me, it's possible), I'd probably find the closest drinkable or edible thing entertaining. Afterall, food and drink is a means of passing the time.

Jord
28-01-2009, 01:33 AM
Idk why but when i read the title i thought he was trapped like between the sofa as in down the side :rolleyes:

me to lol

Casual
28-01-2009, 08:42 AM
What did you do over the weekend?

Not much just got trapped under my sofa and sipped some whiskey!

lool :P must've been quite boring though

leah
29-01-2009, 01:58 PM
omg hes well unlucky to get trapped under his sofa

IceNineKills
29-01-2009, 06:09 PM

would you want to go 60 hours with nothing to eat or drink? whisky is a liquid with water in it, every little helps.

Herman
30-01-2009, 10:23 AM
60 hours is 2 1/2 days. You can die easily without water for a day.

Trinity
30-01-2009, 01:45 PM
60 hours is 2 1/2 days. You can die easily without water for a day.

You can last a lot longer than a day without water.

Moh
30-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Exactly what I thought :P

Could he not have wiggled out from under it?

Oleh
30-01-2009, 05:26 PM
How can you become trapped under a sofa? i cant tip mine over without putting effort in, and he trips over it and its on him ... ???

Kyle
31-01-2009, 09:22 PM
I'd really like to know how he got there in the first place...:S

Herman
01-02-2009, 05:32 AM
You can last a lot longer than a day without water.
Ya sure, you can survive, but you'd be really really dehydrated. And in a state of panic, you'd sweat a lot. Hence you'd lose lots of water.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!