PDA

View Full Version : Playing Elec Guitar

Mizki
05-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Hi, I have had a elec guitar for around a year now - I really want to be able to play it - even a few simple tunes would be amazing. I got chatting to a guy on Habbo who played the elect guitar too and he taught me to play a simple tune -Smoke on the water I think it was called. It was really simple, but sounded quite good :D Today I bought a book called, 'guitar for dummies' so I will start reading that soon. Just wondering if anyone else is learning to play the elec, or plays it well allready? How did you learn it? any tips?

Miz.

Fingerboots
05-09-2004, 12:50 PM
That is great, I love the guitar. Tis a brilliant instrument to learn! So well done for having a go and starting it! I should be getting a Bass soon and I could give you some tips of my friend as they have been playing it for years.
<Happy Dance>

-Soro-
05-09-2004, 12:50 PM
I mainly play the keyboard (grade 7) and the drums (grade 8), but I also got involved with elec. guitar and bass guitar back in year 7... My friend was interested in it and I decided to get school lessons... As there is no grades (that I know of) for guitar, I now have home tutoring, it's kind of cheap and I'm sure you would be able to find someone in your area... I guess the best way to learn is to be taught by a proffessional, but most of my friends teach themselves and just listen to music and work the notes out... Have you got an amp, a guitar etc?

Mizki
05-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Oh, excellent.

Yeah I have the electric guitar, amp, pick annnnnd erm tuner. I'd prefere to teach myself too :D

-Soro-
05-09-2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah, well my only tip is find a music store and check out some of the books, once you have the basic scales and notes all sorted you can just buy some music and play to it... My only tip is practice! :D

Mizki
05-09-2004, 01:02 PM
There are thousands of sites with free tabs, I was shown a great one with everything - ill try and find it for you, then no need to buy the tabs.

My main problem is moving my fingers fast enougth to the correct places lol.

-Soro-
05-09-2004, 01:06 PM
I had the same problem when I started, I'm ok playing the guitar but I'm not amazing, and when I learned my first song on bass (Eye of the tiger) I couldn't move my fingers up and down the strings fast enough. The band I play in has an amazing guitarist though, which is why I play the drums! :D

Edit: You can buy tablature products to help this, I don't know if you know... :p

Simonac55
05-09-2004, 02:52 PM
lol I am learning classical guitar and saxophone, at school. I will learn how to play guitar soon though.

SkaKid77
05-09-2004, 05:13 PM
i wanna get an electric guitar and learn...untill then its just me and my good old air guitar :p

Fingerboots
05-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Once you learn Bar Chords, it is really easy after that and you can just play songs by listening.
They help a lot once you learn how to play them quickly.

Mizki
06-09-2004, 04:43 PM
OK! it took me a day to memorise the E chord? and I still cant even move to it fast :P

-Soro-
06-09-2004, 05:30 PM
Heh, just remember it's totally natural, I'm teaching my mate to play White Stripes - 7 Nation Army, it sounds hilarious - It's like, "Dun....... dun, dun.............dun, dun.....dunnnnn, dun." <--- (Tried my best to describe it) :p

woolyman
06-09-2004, 05:31 PM
I play both electric guitar and bass what guitar do you have Mizki?

Fingerboots
12-09-2004, 10:21 PM
Haha your Dun's Coldshot.. I imagined what it would be like..
o.O
My friends brother can play the whole song! (Seven Nation Army)
I can play some RHCP songs and Electric 6. =o

Arcanum
13-09-2004, 07:04 AM
I'm learning Acoustic and semi-acoustic at the moment, and I heard thats basically the same as electric. You can send me a f/r on Habbo if you want to ask me anything about it ;)

P.S I'll also be happy to teach ya some chords ;)

Convictions
13-09-2004, 12:02 PM
Well i've taught myself to play Johnny B. Goode and all of Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix , im well chuffed

Fingerboots
15-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Well i've taught myself to play Johnny B. Goode and all of Voodoo Child by Jimi Hendrix , im well chuffed
Well done! My mate just randomly can do that to most songs it's great :D

Spectate
19-09-2004, 07:07 AM
My friend had been learning the classical guitar for a few years and I got into it by going to lessons at my school. I then went back for private lessons for the electrical guitar last year and now I just play now and again.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!