PDA

View Full Version : Clearing out loft

ToxicPaddy
01-02-2009, 12:41 AM
I was thinking about clearing out our loft to have as a second room. I don't need it all professionally done, just cleared out and generally cleaning it. Just a few problems. There's dead rats up there after an earthquake we had that disturbed them years ago, and I'm terrified of them. Is there anything I can do for that, like how to sort a fear of rats? Also there's a hell of a lot of fiberglass, is that dangerous to breathe in?

Sorry if you don't understand what I mean, I'm very tired at the moment and am not the best person for typing at the moment :)

Describe
01-02-2009, 12:52 AM
I wouldn't really say you could breathe in much fiberglass, I think that the air might be a bit choked with dust, tiny glass particles and of course rotting rat flesh.

i'd definitley wear a face mask & i'm guessing the rats would be reduced to nothing but bone but if you are really scared i'd have someone do the cleansing of the rats like your dad/neighbour.

J0SH
01-02-2009, 12:53 AM
They're dead, they're not gonna harm you or anything so no need to be scared, just wear protective gloves and such if you don't wanna really touch them with your bare hands :P Also get your sister to help saves you cleaning it all on your own ;)

ToxicPaddy
01-02-2009, 01:05 AM
Thanks for your help, +rep :)

And I have been up there before. There was bodies of rats all dried up, when I saw them I almost fell through the floor :L

kurtis5561
01-02-2009, 11:05 AM
I was thinking about clearing out our loft to have as a second room. I don't need it all professionally done, just cleared out and generally cleaning it. Just a few problems. There's dead rats up there after an earthquake we had that disturbed them years ago, and I'm terrified of them. Is there anything I can do for that,
Get enviromental health in, but the question is why they up there?

Also there's a hell of a lot of fiberglass, is that dangerous to breathe in?

VERY dangerous without the correct equipment, You might need to get a firm in to sort it.

Clowgon
01-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your help, +rep :)

And I have been up there before. There was bodies of rats all dried up, when I saw them I almost fell through the floor :L

LMAO! :P I hate rats/mice, there big long tails and hairy fur. I wonder why peeps keep hamsters and gerbils their disgusting to look at!

Anyway lols, i think maybe call in a firm that can help ventilate the loft or if you fancy saving some cash ask your dad/sister to help you.

cocaine
01-02-2009, 11:30 AM
you wont be able to have the loft as another room if you do it on your own lol :P

leah
01-02-2009, 12:29 PM
send a dog up there to get em or just ask ur mum or dad to get rid of them

ew rats

Judge Judy
01-02-2009, 12:42 PM
if youre scared of clearing the rats get the council to get rid of them :P

ToxicPaddy
01-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions :) And Kurtis, they're there because of an earthquake. Any idea on prices? I'll ring them later and ask myself probably.

Jordy
01-02-2009, 02:34 PM
It's quite expensive at my local Council, my friend wanted to have some bees removed and the Council said they charge £150, so then he said he'd rather pour petrol over the beehives and light it, the Council was not amused.

ToxicPaddy
01-02-2009, 02:37 PM
It's quite expensive at my local Council, my friend wanted to have some bees removed and the Council said they charge £150, so then he said he'd rather pour petrol over the beehives and light it, the Council was not amused.

Lmao! I could imagine :L

Judge Judy
01-02-2009, 03:18 PM
Prices vary between councils I've noticed.

Like to get a skip it's £15 around here whereas £30-40 in denbighshire

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!