PDA

View Full Version : Vista to XP

Gnome
01-02-2009, 05:33 PM
hey, im looking to downgrade to XP, i have the xp disk and stuff, just before i install is there anything i really NEED to keep? Like someone told me i would need my audio drivers still - if i do, how do i save them?

Edit; going in shower, ill reply when im back

HotelUser
01-02-2009, 05:48 PM
There are utilities to export drives from a machine, but when you're switching operating systems I wouldn't use these tools. Usually if you go to your computer manufacture's website, they supply drivers for your machine for multiple operating systems, including XP.

Flisker
01-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Some PC's which are built for Vista won't support XP due to drivers and will cause the OS to be unstable. I've tried on my laptop.

Technologic
01-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Why do people even bother? XP is almost ten years old now.... 7 is out next year so what's the point?

x-glow
01-02-2009, 06:12 PM
You dont keep your drivers as XP Has differnt ones Basicly install Mircosoft XP And then go to your computers website selcect yoiur comp model and download all the XP Drivers for it, Ive done it before ;)

Gnome
01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
one problem, my computer isnt a specific make..

@Tech:

I've always liked XP, id even go down to windows ME if i could be bothered. >.<

The Professor
01-02-2009, 06:23 PM
Why do people even bother? XP is almost ten years old now.... 7 is out next year so what's the point?

Because it runs better.

It shouldn't really be a big issue, if you install XP and plug in your keyboard and mouse they should install themselves (if they're usb, not 100% sure how PS/2 ones work) then go on the internet and download the drivers for your other stuff. If you can't get on the internet, download them all first and put them on a usb stick or CD or something before you install XP. Good luck :)

Josh-H
01-02-2009, 06:24 PM

@Tech:

XP is as low as you should go, a lot of programs don't work with ME.

Gnome
01-02-2009, 06:25 PM
XP is as low as you should go, a lot of programs don't work with ME.

yeah, thats what was holding me back, didnt think WoW runned on ME

is there anyway i can install through a USB flashdrive? don't tthink i have any DVD's kicking around

N!ck
01-02-2009, 06:28 PM

@Tech:

ME is and was a terrible OS. You should have no problems installing XP on it.

HotelUser
02-02-2009, 02:31 AM

Just because something's newer doesn't necessarily mean it's better;).

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!