PDA

View Full Version : [THE PURPLE VIEW] Why GTA IV Won More Awards Than Urmm...

Fez
06-02-2009, 10:08 PM
http://thepurpleview.wordpress.com/2009/02/06/why-grand-theft-auto-iv-won-more-awards-than-urmm/

Had fun writing this, and the help from my friend (the dude who did the sexy headings) was great, helped me to maybe put more effort into it. It's got Lost And Damned everywhere on it, but is only mentioned twice

Mario
06-02-2009, 10:49 PM
The headers are cut off.

Fez
06-02-2009, 11:02 PM
The headers are cut off.
They're not for me :S

http://www.tehupload.com/uploads/1616713a82ed620hmm.png

Mario
06-02-2009, 11:07 PM
what browser are you using? im using chrome and its like this:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3353/57170826ep9.png (http://imageshack.us)
might just be mah tiny resolution

Fez
06-02-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm using chrome too, lol.

I'm on a big *** screen...

Frodo13.
07-02-2009, 12:58 AM
GTA IV is something I compleatly disagree with you on. This whole bribe thing is, lets face it, a conspiracy theory made up in your head.

Why would R* even think about doing that anyway? Stick GTA on the title and its gonna sell like crazy. Even if it did get god awful reviews people are still gonna buy it, and when you go on sites such as play.com and amazon.co.uk and read customer reviews, they seem pretty damm satisfied with it. At the end of the day, GTAIV is a good game - you not liking it don't make it any different.

mangle
07-02-2009, 01:32 PM
At the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion, personally I love GTA and thought it was one of the greatest things to hit this generation of gaming.

I guess it was just what different people were expecting.

ItsDave
07-02-2009, 03:24 PM
Good reviews are based on too sides to the story, why it's good and why it's bad. You've just ripped the this so much that its not fair. It's very clear you're not happy with the game, but overall this is a very one sided review.

Fez
07-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Good reviews are based on too sides to the story, why it's good and why it's bad. You've just ripped the this so much that its not fair. It's very clear you're not happy with the game, but overall this is a very one sided review.
Actually I did a "Why GTA IV Is The Best Game Ever", so I'm not a one-sided reviewer, the rant itself is one-sided, except from the last sentence.

GTA IV is something I compleatly disagree with you on. This whole bribe thing is, lets face it, a conspiracy theory made up in your head.

Why would R* even think about doing that anyway? Stick GTA on the title and its gonna sell like crazy. Even if it did get god awful reviews people are still gonna buy it, and when you go on sites such as play.com and amazon.co.uk and read customer reviews, they seem pretty damm satisfied with it. At the end of the day, GTAIV is a good game - you not liking it don't make it any different.

So you're saying that GTA IV deserved a perfect 10 from IGN? A perfect 10 from OPM UK? It's not even a conspiracy theory, most game publishers and developers pay off the mainstream critics to give them a perfect score. If Rockstar had slapped GTA on a dog turd, it would still sell well - but if a reviewer gave the dog turd a perfect score - it'd sell better.

Oh and let's face it, those customer reviewers are... well... just people with bad taste, or people who are exactly like most LBP players, they only use the 1st and 5th star.
It's not a review... it's a rant which is barely structured and has little to no resemblance to the actual pictures in it.

Jord
07-02-2009, 03:53 PM

I agree with that but after GTA IV I doubt as many people will buy the dlc for it,

Fez
07-02-2009, 03:59 PM
I think it's actually a bargain, Castle Crashers is almost £10 for around a 6 hour experience, and the Lost and Damned adds almost 15 hours on to it, plus the new toys will be awesome.

Jord
07-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I suppose when is DLC out anyway

mangle
07-02-2009, 04:38 PM
17th.

And tbh Apeel, like I said everyone has their own opinion. Reviewers have their opinions, judges do and so do consumers.

Fez
07-02-2009, 04:42 PM
17th.

And tbh Apeel, like I said everyone has their own opinion. Reviewers have their opinions, judges do and so do consumers.
Alright then, I guess there's no such thing as a good reviewer - 'cos just about everyone has a different taste.

J0SH
07-02-2009, 04:52 PM
I thought it was a good read, I enoyed GTA IV sort of, but I do agree it wasn't good enough for any awards.

Frodo13.
07-02-2009, 05:25 PM
So you're saying that GTA IV deserved a perfect 10 from IGN? A perfect 10 from OPM UK? It's not even a conspiracy theory, most game publishers and developers pay off the mainstream critics to give them a perfect score. If Rockstar had slapped GTA on a dog turd, it would still sell well - but if a reviewer gave the dog turd a perfect score - it'd sell better.

Oh and let's face it, those customer reviewers are... well... just people with bad taste, or people who are exactly like most LBP players, they only use the 1st and 5th star.
It's not a review... it's a rant which is barely structured and has little to no resemblance to the actual pictures in it.

Yes, I think it did deserve a top score. It remains to be just about the only game people keep returning too and are still playing almost a year down the line.

And I'm still not convinced about this publishers/developers paying off critics. Where is the proof or the evidence for such acusations? And if it was true, surely most games would be recieving perfect scores, especially if they are going to be published by Microsoft...they throw their money at everything.

Fez
07-02-2009, 05:29 PM
Yeah but Microsoft are the devious and cunning, they won't throw their money at Viva Piñata, but they'll throw it at something like Halo or Gears - something which is more appealing. The only evidence I really have is that no game developed or published by Microsoft has ever been given a score below 60% on Metacritic, which kinda says a lot.

Frodo13.
07-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah but Microsoft are the devious and cunning, they won't throw their money at Viva Piñata, but they'll throw it at something like Halo or Gears - something which is more appealing. The only evidence I really have is that no game developed or published by Microsoft has ever been given a score below 60% on Metacritic, which kinda says a lot.

The only thing that proves is that Microsoft know how to make good games, nothing else.

Ashley 12344
08-02-2009, 01:20 PM

Proof?

And no offence, but that article is about as biased as all the bias your claiming against everything else.

Fez
08-02-2009, 05:25 PM
Proof?

And no offence, but that article is about as biased as all the bias your claiming against everything else.

I don't have any proof, except IGN calling it "the greatest game ever" and then saying it again in their MGS4 review, OPM saying "there's no other shooter like this" and then saying "nothing can beat this shooter!" in their MGS4 review just a few weeks later , it's a bit obvious that maybe even Konami is doing it as well.

None taken btw, I think if your going to look at something it has to be in either one or two directions, if you put two down then they might become muddled up, if you put one down it can get more detailed and more well written, which is why I seperated the 'Best Game Efer' and this article , so I could concentrate on writing them down.

The only thing that proves is that Microsoft know how to make good games, nothing else.

Tell that to this.

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/01/04/shadowrunbox.jpg

and this

http://www.sofacinema.co.uk/guardian/images/products/3/96153-large.jpg

I could probably come up with some more..

Oh and to those that are messaging me on Wordpress about me "Seriously, do you hate GTA IV to it's guts?" I don't know who you are but I can say that GTA IV is a good game, it's certainly not great, but I'm not going all ape on it for that. We were promised a great and fun free-roaming shooter, and we got this... well you read it.

I still play it to this day, and I breathe Grand Theft Auto... I just don't have it on my criminal record.

Neil
08-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Shadowrun and Party Animals are actually quite fun to play.

Sure Shadowrun got boring after a while but most games do, party animals is fun to play, it's a party game you expect it to be over the top? :S

Ashley 12344
08-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Oh and to those that are messaging me on Wordpress about me "Seriously, do you hate GTA IV to it's guts?" I don't know who you are but I can say that GTA IV is a good game, it's certainly not great, but I'm not going all ape on it for that. We were promised a great and fun free-roaming shooter, and we got this... well you read it.

I still play it to this day, and I breathe Grand Theft Auto... I just don't have it on my criminal record.

I agree with you there. It fell very short of expectations, it is still however one of the best games on the latest generation consoles.

Fez
08-02-2009, 07:03 PM
it is still however one of the best games on the latest generation consoles.

Wouldn't doubt it for a second

Shadowrun and Party Animals are actually quite fun to play.

Sure Shadowrun got boring after a while but most games do, party animals is fun to play, it's a party game you expect it to be over the top?

I was just trying to prove that Shadowrun got over-the-top reviews and party animals... well... I'm just taking a stab in the dark at that one. But there's still one game that I can think off the top of my head which is not a 'great' game made by Microsoft.

Josh-H
08-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Look I usually agree with you as you give fair reviews and your 'big weekly questions' are usually pretty good but your hating of GTA is just pathetic now. We understand that YOU dislike it, fine. Now move on...
Seems like you know GTA is a hot topic and you're using it for popularity time and again.

Fez
08-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Look I usually agree with you as you give fair reviews and your 'big weekly questions' are usually pretty good but your hating of GTA is just pathetic now. We understand that YOU dislike it, fine. Now move on...
Seems like you know GTA is a hot topic and you're using it for popularity time and again.

It's not pathetic, and I don't hate it. I even wrote in the first paragraph "And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the sound of 100s of GTA IV fanboys yelling “OMG **** DROP IT NUB”"

I wrote the other GTA IV articles a long long time ago, a month after release I think, the only reason I wrote this one now is because the Lost and Damned is out soon.

And quite frankly, no-one at my school or anyone of my friends has even mentioned GTA in the last week - as soon as I talked about the article I wrote, only a few of them looked it up

Oh and this is the last of the series anyway, the GTA subject isn't but I'm done with IV

Josh-H
08-02-2009, 09:21 PM
It's not pathetic, and I don't hate it. I even wrote in the first paragraph "And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the sound of 100s of GTA IV fanboys yelling “OMG **** DROP IT NUB”"

I wrote the other GTA IV articles a long long time ago, a month after release I think, the only reason I wrote this one now is because the Lost and Damned is out soon.

And quite frankly, no-one at my school or anyone of my friends has even mentioned GTA in the last week - as soon as I talked about the article I wrote, only a few of them looked it up

Oh and this is the last of the series anyway, the GTA subject isn't but I'm done with IV

I'm not a fanboy.. I have it, I cba to complete it. I think it's dull and repetetive. Doesn't mean I have to write tonnes of articles about it.

Fez
08-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Ohlols, didn't mean to put fanboys, thought I put fans - I must be slacking on the tonnes of articles I produce.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!