PDA

View Full Version : 9/11 - How you found out?

Jordulti
08-02-2009, 03:10 AM
I was in grade 2 , so about 6-7 years old.

I remember leaving to school and on the news, "Suspicious planes hovering and becoming off track."

At around 9:40 AM I think , the principal came on and said.

"Staff and Students, I urge you to quiet down and listen very carefully,
Your fellow country, America, has just suffered a major attack. At approximately 8:47 AM, a plain crashed in New York, at the largest tower, the World Trade Center. At 9:03 AM, a Second plain crashed into the WTC again. Just 10 minutes ago, Americas Defence building , the Pentagon has received a plane attack too. We urge you to keep America in your prayers, and for teachers who are willing to hear more, grab a TV from the Library , and put on the news. Will -Names people- Come down to the office immediatly."

The people got called down to the office, their parents were in NYC at the time, and I remember seeing a group of about 12 kids crying, 1 of their parents died, the other 11, didn't find out their dads were alive until about 5PM.

Then America being shutdown, my mom couldn't cross from Michigan , back to Ontario, for about 3 days. And since we are a border town, we could'nt go their, no one could come here. We were shut down too for about 2 days.

buttons
08-02-2009, 03:12 AM
probably because it was all over the internet, news etc..
all i remember was being up at a friends and watchin it on tv

Kardan
08-02-2009, 03:12 AM
There's another thread on this, but what the heck.

It was about 2pm in the UK, and I was walking home with my room and my aunt texted her telling her to switch on the TV as soon as possible. I talked to my mum about it today and she says when she switched on there was still one tower standing and she watched it collapse live.
I was too young and just kept watching the images repeat and repeat.

efq
08-02-2009, 08:43 AM
I was sitting in the lounge and my mother and father told me to come there and I saw it.

cocaine
08-02-2009, 09:06 AM
ha i was sitting at my childminders (yes, a childminder, my parents were always working) and her daughter came down and she was like "they've attacked the twin towers" then they put on sky news and bam. next day some idiot came into school like "THEY'RE GONNA DRAFT US IN FOR THE ARMY OMGZ WE'RE AT WAR" :rolleyes:

Jord
08-02-2009, 09:07 AM
I turnt my tv on

Fifteen
08-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I was in year 5 or 6 at primary school, I can't remember if the school told us or when I went home my dad told me, anyway it was a horrible experance because my uncle and aunty live in Amercia and we couldn't get hold of them, thank God they weren't there that they.

luce
08-02-2009, 09:15 AM
I had just got out the pool at primary school and my mum told me and i had no idea what it mean really i think i was in year 5-6.

Mathew
08-02-2009, 09:25 AM
I was sat in my Year 4 classroom and we were having a story read to us. The teaching assistant came into the room looking tearful, and told my teacher that the "twin towers had been knocked down". I really had no idea at all why anything was so important. We got home and I just remember everything being repeated on TV, I remember a video clip of some people running into a take-away to escape the dust flooding towards them.

It's strange how we can remember these things.

My Dad remembers that he was driving on the long road near us, coming back from the dentist. He heard it on the radio. He got back to the shop where my late-grandma was in tears watching the TV, watching people throw themselves from the towers.

Crimson
08-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I remember finding out on GMTV the morning after. I was too young to know the full impact, until the months after it being on the news constantly I actually clicked what happened and I cried all that day... a month after it happened. :|

BeanEgg
08-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Was on TV when I got home. It was a Saturday right?

lPinoy
08-02-2009, 11:03 AM
It was awful, I could remember watching the news and seeing men throwing theirselves out of the building.

e5
08-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Got home & my mum told me.

Judge Judy
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
was home expecting cbbc to be on or something but the news took over and said about the twin towers etc

lew!
08-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I can remember coming home and my mum being sat on the sofa with her hand over her mouth

Blinger1
08-02-2009, 01:35 PM
I remember finding out on GMTV the morning after. I was too young to know the full impact, until the months after it being on the news constantly I actually clicked what happened and I cried all that day... a month after it happened. :|
I am sure it happened on a wednesday or tuesday didn't it?

Dad tol me to watch tv when i got up (he was home, so either of those days) and yeh!

partie2
08-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I remember getting home from school and then turning on the tv and seeing about 1 plane hitting towers and then within the next 5 minutes of watching the second tower was hit.

buttons
08-02-2009, 02:07 PM
I remember a video clip of some people running into a take-away to escape the dust flooding towards them.
i think i know what you mean there was a group of people who ran into this take-away and one man had his camera in with him, i remember that.

Slowpoke
08-02-2009, 02:12 PM
It was a Tuesday (for whoever was asking). I remember sitting, watching the TV and seeing people throw themselves from the towers - Had nightmares for a while about it.

Kardan
08-02-2009, 02:16 PM
It was a Tuesday because my mum always went to get her family allowance (or something like that) from the post office each Tuesday and I got a packet of starburst each Tuesday and I remember watching the news whilst eating them.

Bef
08-02-2009, 02:34 PM
I left school early cos i was a rebel and went back to my house and my cousin was there with the tv on. her auntie has a jewlery shop in new york not far from the wtc so she was kind of worried.

kk.
08-02-2009, 02:37 PM
i didnt find out until after i got home. Didnt know what the twin towers were at the time really. I remember going to meet my brother and sisters while they were walking home and i told them what happened. I dont think i thought much of it until after i was a bit older. Was 10 i think

camera
08-02-2009, 02:43 PM
the news

Oleh
08-02-2009, 02:43 PM
i dont even remember, i think it was on the news or something daft like that

Ohirian
08-02-2009, 02:52 PM
My Mum picked me up from school and told us to hurry home as there was 'Breaking News'.
Didn't know what it was till I read the title though.

Sixiz
08-02-2009, 02:53 PM
In Assembly 3 days after lmao

kk.
08-02-2009, 02:54 PM
My Mum picked me up from school and told us to hurry home as there was 'Breaking News'.
Didn't know what it was till I read the title though.

o w8 nevermind lol

Kyle!
08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
I came out of school I must of been about 8, and my mum rushed to my Gran's and we just watched in shock. I couldn't comprehend how terrible this was till a few years later, but yeah that's how it happened.

CJW93
08-02-2009, 03:54 PM
I was having a ****

brandon
08-02-2009, 03:58 PM
I was 8 years old watching it on the news before I went to school I think

flatface
08-02-2009, 03:59 PM
On the news :P

Kieeran
08-02-2009, 04:00 PM
In year 6 , came home from school and mon n her bf were watching then next day at school the teacher was crying because her brother was in nyc and she hadnt heard off him but he was ok

RedStratocas
08-02-2009, 04:02 PM
i live close to ny so it was kinda a big deal. our math teacher told us. but he didnt tell us much, when we asked if anyone died he said he didnt know. i was in 6th grade. i understood what happened and that a lot of people died but i didnt understand the politics behind it. i really remember the patriotism that everyone had afterwords

You
08-02-2009, 04:15 PM
still going on about it.. get over it already.

Naruto!
08-02-2009, 04:49 PM
I was on a plane coming back from Florida and they announced it

RedStratocas
08-02-2009, 05:30 PM
still going on about it.. get over it already.

lol, right? thats kinda my opinion. i mean, its sad and everything and families will obviously grieve, but for those who werent directly impacted, why do we have to keep remembering and being sad about it and stuff? wont that mean the terrorists won? their purpose was to break our spirit and make an impact, but if we stop talking about it then obviously it didnt work.

but i cant really express this opinion at my school. we were talking about it in my sociology class the other week, and the teacher told everyone who knows someone who was impacted by the attacks to raise their hands and a good 1/3rd of the class, maybe more, raised their hands. a lot of people from my school are from the city.

lil...hotti
08-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I Rember Getting Ready For school
ANd the news was always on in the morning
Then it was on there
My whole family was stood in shock

Indie-Dan
08-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Came home from school (I was 8) and my dad said "Dan, it's on the news, these terrorists hijacked these plans and crashed them into two towers!"

I, thinking it sounded awesome at the time was devastated to realise it was the Twin Towers in New York, somewhere I'd always wanted to go to.

Buggers.

bo$$
08-02-2009, 09:47 PM
a kid at school telling everyone and then my teacher explaining.

Geraint
08-02-2009, 09:54 PM
I was in year 4 and, ironically, we had just built a scene of new york to decorate the walls with. I got home and heard about it.

08-02-2009, 10:22 PM
I was 8 years old, in the 3rd grade. We had just came back from gym class and could tell that something was bothering our teacher. The whole class spent about 10 mins trying to get it out of him. Then he finally told us. I didnt know the seriousness of it until I got home later that day and watched it on the news. I just kept seeing kids leaving and getting picked up early. Then later in the school day this girl goes by the window and goes "OMGZ A PLANEZ COMING RIGHT FOR US" then the teacher got really mad.

Arch
09-02-2009, 01:38 AM
i think my parents told me but i can't rly remeber =/

Captain
09-02-2009, 02:00 AM
We were in class I think then our teacher put the news on the projector for us all to watch. crazy ****.

Herman
09-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I was only 8 years old and probably in bed when it happened, different timezones and all.

I remember it was mentioned the next day by our principal during the morning assembly. She gave a lengthy speech about the growing threat of transnational terrorism. Of course, I never really understood what that meant at that time.

Rarelime
09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Think it was my first week of year 7, came home and it was on the news.

Immenseman
09-02-2009, 01:59 PM
i honestly can not remember 9/11

Boxiel
09-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I think I was at a friends house and his parents had the news on.. Didn't really understand it much back then.

N-Dubz
09-02-2009, 06:43 PM
found out on the news, when they showed footage of the planes crashing into the wtc.

stickwitu
09-02-2009, 08:33 PM
my mum told me and my best friend in the car when we were driving back from school. someone was on the radio talking saying about how it could result in a war wand when we got back to my house we started mixing spices from the spice rack to throw at the terrorists and blind them. i'm not even joking, we were terrified LOL.

ScottReppin
09-02-2009, 09:44 PM
BBC News.

tdi
17-02-2009, 03:21 AM
was told by the teacher then everyone was in that state of 'scared but excited' - found out more when I got home.

William93
17-02-2009, 12:25 PM
I was in grade 2 , so about 6-7 years old.

I remember leaving to school and on the news, "Suspicious planes hovering and becoming off track."

At around 9:40 AM I think , the principal came on and said.

"Staff and Students, I urge you to quiet down and listen very carefully,
Your fellow country, America, has just suffered a major attack. At approximately 8:47 AM, a plain crashed in New York, at the largest tower, the World Trade Center. At 9:03 AM, a Second plain crashed into the WTC again. Just 10 minutes ago, Americas Defence building , the Pentagon has received a plane attack too. We urge you to keep America in your prayers, and for teachers who are willing to hear more, grab a TV from the Library , and put on the news. Will -Names people- Come down to the office immediatly."

The people got called down to the office, their parents were in NYC at the time, and I remember seeing a group of about 12 kids crying, 1 of their parents died, the other 11, didn't find out their dads were alive until about 5PM.

Then America being shutdown, my mom couldn't cross from Michigan , back to Ontario, for about 3 days. And since we are a border town, we could'nt go their, no one could come here. We were shut down too for about 2 days.

You're so full of ********. How would your headmaster know immediately about those parents being on the plane, so have to break it to the kids? Also, how the **** can you remember all of what he said?

Anyway, I was walking home with my dad and he was talking to someone about it at the time. I didn't quite understand what he was on about, I thought it was a film or something. Arrived home and found out the whole story. Was in year 5, I believe.

ReviewDude
17-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I found out by my dad waking me up (I think I was living in Malaysia at the time) and telling me what happened - then we sat up and watched the news for hours to see what was happening.

Mikey
17-02-2009, 12:41 PM
You're so full of ********. How would your headmaster know immediately about those parents being on the plane, so have to break it to the kids? Also, how the **** can you remember all of what he said?

might have a good memory?

leah
17-02-2009, 12:48 PM
my mum told me when i got in from school

Mickster
17-02-2009, 02:53 PM
I was watching CBBC at my nans after school, and then all the channels flashed up with the news. I wasn't that old so all i was concerned about was getting the show to come back on lmao :P

Charlie
17-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I think I might have found out after I got home from school when it was on the news and everything.

Fapin
17-02-2009, 03:20 PM
i was prob playin with my barbies.

jesus
17-02-2009, 03:25 PM
i was at school in a food tech detention and i went home and my nan and grandad told me about it. i never realised how much of a big deal it was until a couple of days afterwards... it was my mums birthday too.

colourpot
17-02-2009, 03:33 PM
erm i was in year 3 i think, i went home and my dad was watching the news and he told me what had happened.

Bomb-Head
17-02-2009, 03:36 PM
I had just started Year 6 and I remember getting home from school and seeing my mum and sister on the couch watching the news all like ':O' and my Mum explained what had happened but I didn't really understand the extent or seriousness because I was only 10 - I was just thinking 'whats the big deal because a plane has broken down and crashed :S' :(

PaulMacC
17-02-2009, 04:42 PM
I went home for lunch and was on tv.

Abbie.
17-02-2009, 04:52 PM
err i was in p7 (10) and i was waiting for my big sister to get out of school in the car and it was on the radio

Chippiewill
18-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Saw it on tv, found the second tower falling footage cool....

Anvrew
19-02-2009, 11:43 PM
We had to dram somthing like "What happened during this week" and I drew the WTC being hit.
I was only like... 7?

GoldSolid
21-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I stayed off school that day and wanted to watch the kids TV on ITV but it was just towers falling down n ****

sammyspam
21-02-2009, 02:01 PM
I also heard about it through school, it happened about 4am my time. I went to a catholic school, so we also had a prayer.

Hated
21-02-2009, 03:45 PM
was buying a hot dog or it might of been 2 hot dogs anyway it was some nice hot dogs 'cos i used to always get my mum or dad to get 'em me from nere the in door market 'cos they were proper ones not proper sausages i don't like that kind of hot dog

Misawa
21-02-2009, 05:27 PM
I was 11 at the time. Found out when I was picked up late after school and then told. The day the WTC was blown up from the inside.

j0rd
21-02-2009, 05:30 PM
I was in the airport

Not a gd place 2 be wen tht was happening was it :S

drama
21-02-2009, 05:31 PM
got home and wanted to watch TV, got annoyed cos mum was watching the TV and wouldn't let me get a word in edge ways so i just watched what she was watching (that being the news obv)

James!
21-02-2009, 05:32 PM
I was in year 5 I think, came home and seen it on CNN

newWORLDorder
21-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Found out on the news. I was 8/9.

hannah-8909
22-02-2009, 03:58 PM
i was watchin tv and then a newsflash came up sayin it all and my dad got ded upset coz he tort my auntie was on her hols there but she wasnt she was in york ( big difference but o well )

all i thought ( bein the weird kid i was ) ahh there gunno come up to the north to kill all us to.

Fart
22-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Was in year 4 or 5 cant remeber which.
Then i went home, and my mum was watching it.
was proper bad, didnt understand why it happend till i was older.

Jahova
22-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Nans house, popped up all over the TV.

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!