PDA

View Full Version : English literature or English language (A level)

Soy
08-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I want to take English but I'm not sure which one.

I'm more suited to using good grammar and such, not really one for reading books.

Anyway if you've taken either post your experiences with the subject and state how your finding/found the subject.

This really is a benefit for me and you will be +repped :)

dirrty
08-02-2009, 09:12 PM
go for language then. i only picked it as i didn't wanna read books lol.

flatface
08-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Language, I personally found it more intresting :P

Immenseman
08-02-2009, 09:15 PM
Well if you don't like reading then Literature isn't for you. I currently do Literature in my first year at college, admittedly it's hard but I have a passion for the subject thus I get relatively good grades. I started in September and have read 3 300+ page novels and a poetry book. If you consider that a lot and you couldn't do it then don't pick literature. I think it's more "respected" by universities and employers than English Language which is why I personally picked Literature. However, that's merely my opinion. A lot of places other combined language and literature - maybe you could check that out.

Cypher-
08-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Im studying for an English degree at the minute in uni and for my A-level, I did English Literature as it prepares you better for whats coming next if thats the field you plan to go into.

Soy
08-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah I'll probably take Language,

Thanks to all who post, +rep

mangle
08-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Language is alright, just bores me.

It isn't the most, envigorating subject!

Barmi
08-02-2009, 10:18 PM
I want to take English but I'm not sure which one.

I'm more suited to using good grammar and such, not really one for reading books.

Anyway if you've taken either post your experiences with the subject and state how your finding/found the subject.

This really is a benefit for me and you will be +repped :)
Strictly speaking both subjects hope that you are proficient in "using good grammar and such". You don't necessarily learn this in English Language. Both subjects will require you to take an analytical approach to the texts provided: only in English Literature these texts will be drama, poetry or prose; in English Language you will look at advertisements and other rubbish. (You can tell I'm biased?)

In all truth you don't read much in English Literature. One novel, two plays and a handful of poems is hardly a lot in one year. For the second year I read one play, one poem and two novels.

English Literature is really good fun! It's the subject I enjoyed the most at college, but that was partly because I had a very dynamic teacher who enjoyed to talk about texts with people who had a passionate love for the texts; exam stuff was second to that. She was very successful at getting the best grades for her students, and many full mark results.

You should really look at your college's prospectus and the syllabus for both courses (you will need to find out which exam board is used). Your college may also offer taster sessions so you can find out which one you prefer. You also shouldn't feel pressured into making the 'right choice' straight away: there is usually the flexibility to change your choice within the first couple of weeks if you feel it's not the right course for you.

dirrty
08-02-2009, 10:18 PM
the coursework for language is well good!
well for mine i had to write an article and descriptive story, both which i find easy todo anyway so i enjoyed em. my friends who do lit just write essays which would bore me to death.

Soy
08-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Ah I'm starting to get it now.

Well I'm also taking Drama aswell for A levels so this leaves me thinking "Will literature help me with my Drama also?"

Thanks Barmi for making things worse hehe :P Nah, +rep to everyone that helped.

Think I have my mind set on Language as it appeals to me more

Barmi
08-02-2009, 10:26 PM
the coursework for language is well good!
well for mine i had to write an article and descriptive story, both which i find easy todo anyway so i enjoyed em. my friends who do lit just write essays which would bore me to death.
The essays are a necessary evil, though they are formulaic and it's really just a big rehearsal. The essays shouldn't be much of a chore if you enjoy the texts. I remember when we read The Great Gatsby and half of the class cried at one point. Gatsby was a real person. Writing about The Great Gatsby was enjoyable.

For my second year coursework, it was essentially an open option on what we wanted to write about. We could construct any suitably-appropriate essay question and write a comparative essay about two texts. I remember comparing Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four with Atwood's Oryx and Crake, theme being dystopian societies. I enjoyed it sooooooo much. (Freak!)

Virgin Mary
08-02-2009, 10:37 PM
Both are similar apart from what you're looking at, which is why you get the Lit/Lang joined course. In lit it's novels, poetry and plays and you analyse them using literary techniques e.g. tropes. In language it's texts like transcripts and adverts, you analyse them using the language frameworks e.g. semantics and grammar. In both you have to sometimes take the historical context of the text into account - in lit you look at the writer's life, in language you take into account different language theorists. It just depends which is more appealing to you and what you want to do in the future really.

ReviewDude
08-02-2009, 11:43 PM
As I have found it in my experience, and from numerous discussions with classmates from both subjects, English Language to be the more natural a choice. It takes a dislike of literature, and books (ironically) to be truly good at Literature. You need to be able to hide all emotion, texture, and depth of a story, to examine its bear bones - very hard to do if you can't detach yourself from it, ruining the point somewhat anyhow.

Barmi
08-02-2009, 11:51 PM
As I have found it in my experience, and from numerous discussions with classmates from both subjects, English Language to be the more natural a choice. It takes a dislike of literature, and books (ironically) to be truly good at Literature. You need to be able to hide all emotion, texture, and depth of a story, to examine its bear bones - very hard to do if you can't detach yourself from it, ruining the point somewhat anyhow.
Can I ask how you came to that conclusion? I love literature, loved The Great Gatsby, and yet managed to get full UMS on that exam? I can't remember exactly how many modules I got full UMS on in literature, but that wasn't the only one. You do not need to remove yourself from the text; you can be fully immersed and emotionally attached while still examining it analytically.

You need to rely on your own emotion to achieve the highest grade boundaries. It is important to understand the feelings the writer is trying to evoke. If you are emotionally removed from a text, this is likely to be a less natural assessment. I have also found that you do not strive to examine the 'bare bones' of a text, but rather the little intricacies.

Again, I ask how you managed to reach that conclusion.

Immenseman
08-02-2009, 11:53 PM
The essays are a necessary evil, though they are formulaic and it's really just a big rehearsal. The essays shouldn't be much of a chore if you enjoy the texts. I remember when we read The Great Gatsby and half of the class cried at one point. Gatsby was a real person. Writing about The Great Gatsby was enjoyable.

For my second year coursework, it was essentially an open option on what we wanted to write about. We could construct any suitably-appropriate essay question and write a comparative essay about two texts. I remember comparing Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four with Atwood's Oryx and Crake, theme being dystopian societies. I enjoyed it sooooooo much. (Freak!)

It so isn't right we both chose the exact same dystopian novels.

Barmi
08-02-2009, 11:58 PM
It so isn't right we both chose the exact same dystopian novels.
I know, it's weird!

Out of a free choice of any novels and any theme, we both picked the same. I think I already told you this but I was initially going to use The Handmaid's Tale until my teacher lent me her copy of Oryx and Crake to read. I had to rejig my question (because the jump words and links other than dystopian societies didn't match up), but it was worth it. It's a relatively new text (I think it was published in 2003?) so was by no means a standard comparative text at that point. Freaky. Freaky.

But still, lots of love for both of those books. Two of my favourite books of all timeeeee. <3

ReviewDude
09-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Can I ask how you came to that conclusion? I love literature, loved The Great Gatsby, and yet managed to get full UMS on that exam? I can't remember exactly how many modules I got full UMS on in literature, but that wasn't the only one. You do not need to remove yourself from the text; you can be fully immersed and emotionally attached while still examining it analytically.

You need to rely on your own emotion to achieve the highest grade boundaries. It is important to understand the feelings the writer is trying to evoke. If you are emotionally removed from a text, this is likely to be a less natural assessment. I have also found that you do not strive to examine the 'bare bones' of a text, but rather the little intricacies.

Again, I ask how you managed to reach that conclusion.

It's just what I've found from experience (and, to be fair, a detest of the works of F. Scott Fitzgerald), that when you reach the higher echelons of literature, it becomes increasingly difficult to write reams on books based on feelings you can't put into words.

I'm not saying people who love books can't do it, merely that it's more difficult.

Immenseman
09-02-2009, 12:01 AM
I know, it's weird!

Out of a free choice of any novels and any theme, we both picked the same. I think I already told you this but I was initially going to use The Handmaid's Tale until my teacher lent me her copy of Oryx and Crake to read. I had to rejig my question (because the jump words and links other than dystopian societies didn't match up), but it was worth it. It's a relatively new text (I think it was published in 2003?) so was by no means a standard comparative text at that point. Freaky. Freaky.

But still, lots of love for both of those books. Two of my favourite books of all timeeeee. <3
Yeah, it was published in 2003, I only wrote mine a few months ago, so I remember :D. Have you ever read Brave New World or The Collector, they're wicked too :8

09-02-2009, 12:03 AM
literature = books
language = grammar
go for language.
by the sound of it youll enjoy it more.

Supersam
09-02-2009, 12:10 AM
My friend does drama and lit and i did drama and lang.

Drama is almost completely unrelated to lit and/or lang. Drama is more about practitioners and their influence and mainly performance.

When it came to doing the written part (which im unsure you will do in drama as its often not done anymore) lang helped but not to the extent in which i had an advantage.

Infact, history probibly helped more due to the nature of essay writing being a neccesary skill.

I have a friend who did both at AS and she has only carried on with lit. I however carried on with language.

If you want it simpified then it comes down to 2 things:
-Language is a science. At uni it is called BSc Linguistics.
-Literature is an art. At uni it is called BA English

So if your more of an arts type who can do essay writing well and can be creative then do lit.

If you are more of a scientific type and can analyse things well in your research then choose lang.

Barmi
09-02-2009, 12:10 AM
It's just what I've found from experience (and, to be fair, a detest of the works of F. Scott Fitzgerald), that when you reach the higher echelons of literature, it becomes increasingly difficult to write reams on books based on feelings you can't put into words.

I'm not saying people who love books can't do it, merely that it's more difficult.
John Donne (and many more poets besides) does a pretty good job at putting feelings into words. Read 'The Ecstasy'.

I love books. It was my easiest A-level subject. It sounds like an observation that is contrary to the popular one. I don't know what stage you are at in life (at university?), but there are many universities – particularly the most competitive ones – who require this love for literature. If this doesn't come across in interview, you are more than likely screwed.

And out of curiosity, could you illustrate which texts you are referring to when you talk of the "higher echelons of literature"?

Yeah, it was published in 2003, I only wrote mine a few months ago, so I remember :D. Have you ever read Brave New World or The Collector, they're wicked too :8
I've wanted to read Brave New World for months, but never quite got round to it. I really must put those two on my "to read when I get time" list!

Virgin Mary
09-02-2009, 12:11 AM

Going off on tangents about your feelings is what stupid, self-absorbed people do.

Bun
09-02-2009, 04:43 PM
go for language, don't listen to barmi ;).

le harry
11-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I know, it's weird!

I'm choosing A Clockwork Orange (text) as my English Extension piece. Alongside that, i'm quite possibly using Nineteen Eighty Four (text) and A Clockwork Orange (movie) for my 12.7 comparative essay, there needs to be a third piece which has to be a play and i'm quite stumped on what to do. Of course this is all going under the dystopian society theme. But yes, Nineteen eighty four is a fantastic book - haven't read Oryx and Crake so I can't comment.

Immenseman
11-02-2009, 01:42 PM
I'm choosing A Clockwork Orange (text) as my English Extension piece. Alongside that, i'm quite possibly using Nineteen Eighty Four (text) and A Clockwork Orange (movie) for my 12.7 comparative essay, there needs to be a third piece which has to be a play and i'm quite stumped on what to do. Of course this is all going under the dystopian society theme. But yes, Nineteen eighty four is a fantastic book - haven't read Oryx and Crake so I can't comment.

I was going to use "A Clockwork Orange" for my close analytical piece but I heard Brave New World was a better novel, so I went with that one. I love dystopian novels :8

Hecktix
11-02-2009, 01:43 PM
I've done both language and literature at at A level.

From what i've read in your thread language is more suited to you.

To enjoy literature, you need to love reading.
To enjoy language, you need to love writing.

Of course you do still take analytical approaches in language as you do in literature, and neither is more 'respected' as they are practically the same course, you just do analysis on factual texts in language, which can be a bit dry but there are other aspects which are good, such as original writing coursework, instead of doing a piece about say a play, you write your own, its so much more fun!!

Other aspects of language include the relationships between language and things such as gender and power, which is really really interesting.

Both are brilliant subjects, but from what you've said language is more suited to you.

Immenseman
11-02-2009, 01:45 PM
don't lie oli, language is for people who can't grasp literature :lol:

Hecktix
11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
don't lie oli, language is for people who can't grasp literature :lol:

i got an A at lit fyi.
I love them both, but then I love literature.

They are similar in so many ways but so different, literature you have to have a passion for literature, and language you have to have a passion for language.

Immenseman
11-02-2009, 01:49 PM
Yeah. At our 6th Form you had to get a B at least at GCSE English Literature and GCSE English Language to do English Literature at ALevel. Although Language students just needed the bog-standard 5 C's. Speaks volumes to me! :lol:

Hecktix
11-02-2009, 01:50 PM
i actually find language AS harder than I found Lit AS.

Immenseman
11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
I see what language students do then I compare it to what I do... ah well I don't mind because I have a genuine passion for literature. We've already read 4 novels and a collection of Wordsworth poems whilst producing two pieces of coursework whilst they have read one book and haven't handed in one piece of coursework yet.

Hecktix
11-02-2009, 01:53 PM
why the hell are they reading a book on a language course, you don't study set texts.

Immenseman
11-02-2009, 01:55 PM
They're definitely reading a book albeit maybe an extract? I was talking to a friend about it in the common room just the other day.

Hecktix
11-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Our language course comprises of:

- Identifying similarities between texts (grouping texts)
- An investigation into the relationship between Language & Gender
- An investigation into the relationship between Language & power
- 2 pieces of coursework comprising of two written pieces alongside written commentaries.

All but the top one are really interesting.

Immenseman
11-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Yeah I did consider doing language, both sounded like decent courses. I thought I'd just choose whichever I did best at GCSE level but I got an A in both language and literature at GCSE which didn't help.

Hecktix
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
When I moved I decided to choose Language because I didn't like the texts we were given last year at Literature, although I got a good grade it stopped me from enjoying the course as much. Well I liked 2 of the 4 xD

I wish i'd taken both englishs this year though, cause they read really good texts at colege.

Barmi
11-02-2009, 08:43 PM
and neither is more 'respected' as they are practically the same course,
Unfortunately (or not – whichever way you look at it) that's not the case. Some universities treat them as equal, but there are also a number of institutions (particularly those with more competitive places) which attach 'limited' suitability to English Language, and 'primary' suitability to English Literature.

If they were practically the same course, they wouldn't survive separately – or the Lang & Lit combined course would be more popular. As it goes, Literature tends to be the more favourable option for universities, probably because it's directly relevant the university course, whereas Language... well, isn't necessarily.

le harry
12-02-2009, 10:10 PM
I was going to use "A Clockwork Orange" for my close analytical piece but I heard Brave New World was a better novel, so I went with that one. I love dystopian novels :8

That's my next read. :)

Want to hide these adverts? Register an account for free!